Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
When arranging internet provision at home I automatically go for unlimited broadband, but to be honest I have no idea how much I use each month and whether I could comfortably get away with a reduced download limit. Is there a system for monitoring my broadband usage each month?
Geoff.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I have been using Networx since the beginning of the year and it seems to provide all the info required (and it's FREE :Smile:) You can download it at www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Phil

Oops the link doesn't work - Google NETWORX and you should get to it

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does your internet provider have a monitoring system you can use? I use idNet and get a daily RSS feed showing my usage to date and projected cumulative usage by the end of the month if the previous pattern continues.

By the way, I do not believe there is a 'free lunch' in the world of internet provision and although many providers advertise 'unlimited downloads' they have a 'fair usage' clause in the T&C which allows them to throttle you and slow down your broadband if they think you are using too much. That's why I went with idNet. I have a download limit after which, I pay a bit extra, in blocks of usage, but there is a guarantee of no speed throttling.

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Does your internet provider have a monitoring system you can use? I use idNet and get a daily RSS feed showing my usage to date and projected cumulative usage by the end of the month if the previous pattern continues.

By the way, I do not believe there is a 'free lunch' in the world of internet provision and although many providers advertise 'unlimited downloads' they have a 'fair usage' clause in the T&C which allows them to throttle you and slow down your broadband if they think you are using too much. That's why I went with idNet. I have a download limit after which, I pay a bit extra, in blocks of usage, but there is a guarantee of no speed throttling.
Not that I'm aware of, I get internet from the post office as Effy works there and so gets a discounted rate. I suppose it could be counter productive to ISP's if their customers could see that they didn't need unlimited download capacities.
Geoff.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have unlimited and never had any issues with the service slowing,l and we do download a lot, use it for streaming TV .. etc

but out of interest downloaded and tried, but it wouldn't monitor the router (rather than just my laptop .. )

error message: router does not support SNMP ..

so not much use to me when I have six devices using the net..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have unlimited and never had any issues with the service slowing,l and we do download a lot, use it for streaming TV .. etc

but out of interest downloaded and tried, but it wouldn't monitor the router (rather than just my laptop .. )

error message: router does not support SNMP ..

so not much use to me when I have six devices using the net..
set mine to monitor all traffic at the wifi router Jim.

in the last three hours we've used 14 Mb....and we were out for an hour of that :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as i can tell, yes.

screen shot of monitor.....monitored interfaces at bottom of screenshot

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 10

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Aha !!! i see where you're coming from Jim.

i get the same message when i 'click monitior router rather than this computer'.:Doh:

yes.. that's what I was meaning ...

I'm going to read the FAQs to see if there is a solution ..

Just read this.. and I don't understand this bit

The Monitor my router rather than this computer option makes it possible to monitor traffic flow through a router between your network and the Internet. In order for this feature to work[HI] your order must support SNMP[/HI]. You will also need to choose an appropriate router's interface that is connected to the Internet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back