rouen 3mtrs (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi all

Having a bad experience in Nantes towing down a no thr'o road (not marked following a garmin sat nav):whatthe::Doh:
I would like clear trouble free route going from Calais to the Dordogne is it easy or do I avoid? I have heard some nightmare things about low tunnels ect we are 3 mtrs in hieght and towing. It looks like the most straightforward route avoiding Toll Roads which we dont use.

Many Thanks in Advance (vana):thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
In Rouen where the road runs next to the river, there are tunnels at each bridge intersection to allow cars to miss the traffic lights, I believe these are not much more than 2 metres in height, so you can't use them. Just means you have to wait at the lights. However if you stick to the main road, you won't go down this road anyway.

See here: Broken Link Removed

Ian

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had trouble in Rouen with a low bridge:Doh:

Can't remember much ( I was in shock::bigsmile:) but it was a duel carriageway and we were in the left lane and should have been in the right. The left went under the tunnel and the right went over it.

Our sat nav was to blame. We should have just followed the signs:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi all

Having a bad experience in Nantes towing down a no thr'o road (not marked following a garmin sat nav):whatthe::Doh:
I would like clear trouble free route going from Calais to the Dordogne is it easy or do I avoid? I have heard some nightmare things about low tunnels ect we are 3 mtrs in hieght and towing. It looks like the most straightforward route avoiding Toll Roads which we dont use.

Many Thanks in Advance (vana):thumb:

We have just done the run down to Narbonne and back up through France to Calais. We used the Nuvi 5000 and had no problems off peage all the way. 7.1m x 2.81m x 2.2m Hymer S700. All of this in January & February this year, in minus 11c to minus 6c and snow

Calais, Buchy, Vouvray, Magnac Bourge, Carcasonne, Narbonne Plage. From here we went to Pienca in Italy and back on autoroutes. Then Narnonne over the Massive central to Magnag Bourg and then followed the same road back off peage except for the Millau Bridge. .

The only problem we had was trying to find the Aire at Les Arcs on the route to Italy, as the satnav took us off a junction too soon and tried routing us cross country through Pignans and at Gonfaron where the main road was closed and traffic was diverted down side roads. At one point where the road was so narrow with the sides of the surface crumbling away into gullies. I was edging down with Joan walking ahead and my RH mirror hit a lamp post as the LH just missed the wall. I now know how a cat feels as it uses its whiskers to gauge if it can get through. We never made Les Arcs and found ouselves back at Pignans again. As it was getting dark, we wilded on the car park beside the railway station.

There was 2ft of snow in Italy and it was bitterly cold. At Narbonne I tried to wash the back window and the brush froze instantly to the plastic window.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have heard some nightmare things about low tunnels ect we are 3 mtrs in hieght and towing. :

I suggest you purchase the Low Bridges POIs from here
Link Removed

It's a one of payment of £9.95, the updates are free.. I have them installed in my TT...

While the sat nav won't navigate to avoid them you can set the alarm distance to give plenty of prior warning .. and of course, if you check the route prior to departure you will see any that may be a problem. You can set your sat nav to ignore ones above the height of your van.

They also sell weights and widths limit POI sets.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You can avoid the low tunnels in Rouen, just be careful you are in the correct lane. I've never been through the tunnels in a car as first time I came through they were flooded and I've stuck to the same way since.

You can skirt round Rouen altogether but it's quite a long way round I think and you'' also pay peage.

Also be careful if you are going to Le Havre ferry port as there is also the tunnel system to avoid a busy junction. Stay over to the right and you'll avoid the tunnel.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I am so grateful to read this thread. I thought I might be the only numpty to try and fit a 2.95 high motorhome through a 2.6 m tunnel in Rouen! Must remember to keep to the right! At least I was stopped by the bar hanging down on chains and only did 100 quid's worth of damage :Doh:

I think you were unlucky to get a dead end unmarked, but tunnels are clearly marked with the height restriction - you just got to keep your eyes on the road and let the passenger look at the satnav!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am so grateful to read this thread. I thought I might be the only numpty to try and fit a 2.95 high motorhome through a 2.6 m tunnel in Rouen! Must remember to keep to the right! At least I was stopped by the bar hanging down on chains and only did 100 quid's worth of damage :Doh:

I think you were unlucky to get a dead end unmarked, but tunnels are clearly marked with the height restriction - you just got to keep your eyes on the road and let the passenger look at the satnav!

You were very lucky...

£9.95 could save another £100 of damage ... or more!

The old adage applies.. If it can happen.. it will.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest you purchase the Low Bridges POIs from here
Link Removed

Mucho usefull :thumb: - but am i missing something ere...website says these are only for the UK or do they come bundled with EU stuff but the website doesnt say that???

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Well, we can unfortunately top that!!! The first time we went under the tunnels (we were being followed by David, (DSHague) at the time) we saw the signs too late and both ducked as we went under! Fortunately we had 5 cms to spare and managed to come out the other end unscathed.

Last autumn we had our 4 week old Bentley, which, with the dome is 3m. We turned left, following Tom Tom of course and stopped in front of the hanging barrier! I spotted a emergency exit to the right but instead of reversing Michael put his foot down and went through the barrier!!

Needless to say the cab was very hot with expletives, but luckily it bounced down the roof and there was no damage to the dome, solar panel or the roof!!!

We still travel through Roen, simply because we cant face the Paris alternative!

Ginny

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I got caught out by the Rouen underpasses and had to reverse out. Fortunately the French seem a bit more tolerant than the British in similar circumstances. As previously mentioned, once you know they are low then take the high road at the junctions, no problem.

A couple of years back we met up with someone, I think at Chartres, who had taken his roof light off at Rouen, Luckily his satellite dish survived.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Quite a big club the 'oh no Rouen' one.
Like everyone else, had the tunnel nightmare.

Now I avoid the city, when I emerge from the long road tunnel, the third exit takes you to a junction and you can follow the D road keeping to the east side of the river towards Tourville la Riviere going through Les Gravettes and St Adrien and emerging at the autoroute south of the city. The road is a bit rough, but it gets me past.

Only found it when diverted off by the police, panic was setting in, when a policeman on a motorbike pulled alongside as I anxiously looked at the signs, I said Dreux, he pointed and I've been going the same way ever since.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Tut! Tut! Tut!

"I followed the Garmin", "It was the sat navs fault", "the sat nav took us the wrong way"

Shame on you! You are the driver and ultimately responsible for your actions, not the sat nav!

Anyone who follows a sat nav regardless, are fools! Not drivers!

A sat nav is an aid, a moving map display, nothing more.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A nice alternative route avoiding Rouen, is the E44 / A29 , (North of Rouen) , brings you into Honfluer for a convenient night stop at the aire .. have used this route both going and coming back ..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we always go round it

We travel often to the South of France. When we come down the main route to Rouen on the duel carriageway that comes out of the long tunnel before you hit Rouen.. you stay in the right hand lane and ignore the 2nd but exit on the third exit on the right. this roadway swings to the right slightly then back almost parallel to the duel carriageway you just left .. it becomes 4 lanes.. get in to the the second from the right .... there are some lights with a turn last turn right a head .. the a head is the one you need it crosses a large junction and you merge on to another 6 land junction.. you need to then get over to the 3 on the right as you are merging in to one side of a large duel carriage way .. set of lights again in front of you (note if you just went a head and did not merge there is a shell petrol station in front of you) .. so you have swung left on to the road that crosses over the duel carriageway you left at the 3rd junction.

Make sure you are in the right hand hand as soon as possible as the two left one turn off.. stay in the right hand lane which then stays as a single lane and runs all the way down beside the river.. you miss Rouen as it lays off to the right of you.. you cross the river some way down when you are on the route you want.

More simple than it sounds...

If you have a google map look it up.. you will find the long tunnel outside rouen and you can follow the route I have just listed.

Bob

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I got caught out by the Rouen underpasses and had to reverse out. Fortunately the French seem a bit more tolerant than the British in similar circumstances. As previously mentioned, once you know they are low then take the high road at the junctions, no problem.

A couple of years back we met up with someone, I think at Chartres, who had taken his roof light off at Rouen, Luckily his satellite dish survived.

Dont know about being more tolerant , it was a very busy Saturday afternoon when I followed the sat nav to the tunnel entrance clipping the warning bar on the way , there was a lot of very irate Frenchmen gesturing wildly as co-pilot Ann bravely stepped out to back me up to the escape gap ::bigsmile:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We travel often to the South of France. When we come down the main route to Rouen on the duel carriageway that comes out of the long tunnel before you hit Rouen.. you stay in the right hand lane and ignore the 2nd but exit on the third exit on the right. this roadway swings to the right slightly then back almost parallel to the duel carriageway you just left .. it becomes 4 lanes.. get in to the the second from the right .... there are some lights with a turn last turn right a head .. the a head is the one you need it crosses a large junction and you merge on to another 6 land junction.. you need to then get over to the 3 on the right as you are merging in to one side of a large duel carriage way .. set of lights again in front of you (note if you just went a head and did not merge there is a shell petrol station in front of you) .. so you have swung left on to the road that crosses over the duel carriageway you left at the 3rd junction.

Make sure you are in the right hand hand as soon as possible as the two left one turn off.. stay in the right hand lane which then stays as a single lane and runs all the way down beside the river.. you miss Rouen as it lays off to the right of you.. you cross the river some way down when you are on the route you want.

More simple than it sounds...

If you have a google map look it up.. you will find the long tunnel outside rouen and you can follow the route I have just listed.

Bob

Hi Bob,

It does sound complicated, any chance of a map?

Ginny

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is not hard really

Hi Bob,

It does sound complicated, any chance of a map?

Ginny

If you can get on to Google Earth then just enter Rouen, France and it will take you to the centre.. zoom out and to the right and locate the main duel carriageway in to Rouen.. A28 (blue signs) or E 402 (green signs) the tunnel starts not long after junction 13 .. a few minor ones if I recall but 13 is the main one before the tunnel. about 4 klms . it goes down hill as you enter it and it is fairly long.. it is then the third exit on the right once you come out into day light.. first exit is soon after you exit the tunnel.........................taking the third exit follow previous instructions... .......... the road number that runs down the side of the river is D6015 at Gouy you have a choice of routes South D7 or D6015 you can also get on to the A13 or E5 from either of the above roads.

I have found it well worth looking at Google maps to zoom in and look at places like this that gave me concerns at one time.

by the way just off the A28/E402 about 30 klms before Rouen is Neufchtel-en-Bray.. has a great ACIS camp site and close to the very nice town.. plus cheap fuel etc., leave at exit 9 follow the signs. about 2 klms from motorway.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Tut! Tut! Tut!

"I followed the Garmin", "It was the sat navs fault", "the sat nav took us the wrong way"

Shame on you! You are the driver and ultimately responsible for your actions, not the sat nav!

Anyone who follows a sat nav regardless, are fools! Not drivers!

A sat nav is an aid, a moving map display, nothing more.

Craig

But maps don't show low tunnels?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Very true

But maps don't show low tunnels?

Co-pilot ...SWMBO ..aka Sue, always has the road map out and follows the route.. I select waypoints that I have entered and do the journey in segments... Always have a quick scan of the maps to make sure I have some idea of where I am heading.. main town names I expect to see on a list on direction boards... get some idea of the miles between larger towns... As I am 45' with trailer and prefer to travel at night I make sure I know where fuel is available using the CAXTON FX card.. (hate paying tolls).. we all get it wrong sometimes, but as few as possible for me.

A good map book is as important as the sat nab

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
But they are clearly signed before you get to one!

Craig

Not sure this one was.

We just got in the wrong lane.

It's a bit much calling me and others a fool for failing to avoid a low bridge.

We can't all be perfect after all:RollEyes:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Not sure this one was.

We just got in the wrong lane.

It's a bit much calling me and others a fool for failing to avoid a low bridge.

We can't all be perfect after all:RollEyes:

Now, now, Treacle, l am not calling anybody a fool for failing to avoid a low bridge. l said that anyone who follows a sat nav regardless is a fool!
People have been known to drive into rivers because the sat nav said that was the way to go! And HGV drivers have become stuck fast, because the sat nav said that was the way to go!
Isn't that foolish?

Craig

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
rouen

hi funsters, all very interesting, i am planning my route to the south west of france, i did not like the look of rouen on the map. so all of your advice comes at an opportune moment, i think i will avoid that city and go round.
as i will be arriving in calais at 02-00 i would be arriving around rouen around the morning rush hour.
my wife always remarks at the fact that i ignore the lady on the sat nav.
i say that i know where i am going and that she does not.
i enjoy listening to her tone of voice rise when i refuse to follow her instructions,
recallulate-recalculate-recalulate.
have fun, pete:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you will clear the area before the rush hour

hi funsters, all very interesting, i am planning my route to the south west of france, i did not like the look of rouen on the map. so all of your advice comes at an opportune moment, i think i will avoid that city and go round.
as i will be arriving in calais at 02-00 i would be arriving around rouen around the morning rush hour.
my wife always remarks at the fact that i ignore the lady on the sat nav.
i say that i know where i am going and that she does not.
i enjoy listening to her tone of voice rise when i refuse to follow her instructions,
recallulate-recalculate-recalulate.
have fun, pete:thumb:

If you are arriving you will clear the area before rush hour.. it should not take more than 2 to 3 hours travel time from the tunnel or docks.. just head on the motorway come off at junction 30 before the tolls, follow the main road - roads will be empty and fast.. you come back on just past Abbeyville and the motorway is free all the way from there to Rouen.. so you will clear it 5.30 to 6 a.m. latest.

As you do not go in tot he town and bye pass it.. even in rush hours it is not that bad.

Bob

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I've done Rouen a few times and never come across these lowbridges/tunnels..the first time we did it as novices we ended up going round and round Rouen but got out eventually by going a long way round...Second time we ended up God knows where..but we found the route to Chartres how I don't know..third time super nav (er indoors) said off on this slip road NOW!! and I did as I was told and lo and behold there was the route we needed...I have never seen these tunnels where abouts are they??? Iknow that when we got up the slip road we did a left at the top then moved across to the right hand lane turned right and followed the road with the Seine on my right!!..then around 3/4 miles down the road there is a big parking area so it was a quick stop there cuppa tea and a few photos of the church cut into the hillside..

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I've done Rouen a few times and never come across these lowbridges/tunnels..the first time we did it as novices we ended up going round and round Rouen but got out eventually by going a long way round...Second time we ended up God knows where..but we found the route to Chartres how I don't know..third time super nav (er indoors) said off on this slip road NOW!! and I did as I was told and lo and behold there was the route we needed...I have never seen these tunnels where abouts are they??? Iknow that when we got up the slip road we did a left at the top then moved across to the right hand lane turned right and followed the road with the Seine on my right!!..then around 3/4 miles down the road there is a big parking area so it was a quick stop there cuppa tea and a few photos of the church cut into the hillside..

thank goodness for this post, Ive never seem the either and was fellling a bit left out....

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I use the N15 to miss out the centre of Rouen by taking This road. This tunnel is not low.

One you get to the next junction you will see the signs for Everaux & Vernon Here

Follow the N15 along the river and pick up the N7 S of Rouen and on to the A154 from the end of the A13

See the route HERE

Edit: Looks like someone above beat me to it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back