Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Heaven is. 6.2 amps being put into the battery bank from your solar panels at 9am..::bigsmile: (Not putting anything in now. Fully charged at 14.4. at 10am)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
7.0 at 10.10 Jim:winky:

Never seen figures like it till Moroc

Mine is near max though

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I do have 2 x 120 and 1 x 80 on the roof though:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
mine is 2 x 80s but looking at buying a 185 amp out here (roofspace to fit big un one prob)

The sun is getting very hot now.

I have till now never seen 7.0 + before

Batteries fully charged by mid morning......

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm just glad the sun is shining as my house now has no water and no toilets working. Oh joy! -15 every night.

But the sun is shining and the loo in m/home is OK. My daughter bought me a mini solar panel and it charged my ipod from dead to full in a couple of hours yesterday.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Heaven is. 6.2 amps being put into the battery bank from your solar panels at 9am..::bigsmile: (Not putting anything in now. Fully charged at 14.4. at 10am)

Where have you found all that lovely sunshine Jim??

Ginny

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Jim this might be widening the thread beyond your joyous intention, but as one who has not looked into solar panels could I ask the question,
"At what point does the cost of purchase, fitting, and presumably the extra fuel consumption, because of the extra weight, become cost effective against charging the batteries from the alternator whilst on the move?"

I ask this because I have experienced no problem when I have been touring, but I admit I use very little electric when on the move, lights and water pump only.

Norman

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My EHU can give me 16 amps - so there:RollEyes:

Once I pay the campsite fee ......... its all free:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Jim this might be widening the thread beyond your joyous intention, but as one who has not looked into solar panels could I ask the question,
"At what point does the cost of purchase, fitting, and presumably the extra fuel consumption, because of the extra weight, become cost effective against charging the batteries from the alternator whilst on the move?"

I ask this because I have experienced no problem when I have been touring, but I admit I use very little electric when on the move, lights and water pump only.

Norman

Your leisure batteries will charge when on the move, but unless you have fitted a battery master or similar, they won't charge quickly or fully because the alternator output drops seriously once the vehicle battery is charged. Adequate solar will charge up to 14.4v given enough sunshine whereas the alternator won't usually manage more than 13.6v. If you move every day then the vehicle alternator will be fine. Solar is great if you stay in one place for more than a couple of days (in the summer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Norman

To answer that question correctly --- It never will :Doh:
Unless you are moving around soley for the benefit of charging then it will equalize very quickly, but of course you usualy intend going somewhere, so the battery is charged almost for free so to speak,

With Solar and many other add on toys and gadgets the value is in the convenience department, and as we all know to well, the cost of convenience always comes at a high price
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back