AA to launch sat-nav tech tracked insurance policy (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The AA is set to launch a new insurance policy which uses sat-nav technology to track driver performance.

The firm said the system would allow its better drivers to receive cheaper premiums.

It follows similar efforts by smaller insurers. Larger rival Direct Line has told the BBC it is also piloting its own "black box" scheme.

Critics of the technology said that data should not be used as a reliable measure of a driver's ability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16969509

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was a Star Wars episode where Spock's brain was removed and replaced by a computer to control essential processes.

Here is a good step in that direction.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
If it leads to cheaper premiums then I would certainly go for it. (The black box that is......not the brain replacement!)
Geoff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If it leads to cheaper premiums then I would certainly go for it. (The black box that is......not the brain replacement!)
Geoff.

But where does it lead ?

Sir, you were in Swansea so a £500 theft excess.

Sir, you were on the Autobahn at 200kph so £1000 excess.

Sir, you were in the dark so £30 excess.

Sir, it was peak traffic time so £200 excess.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Would it also double up as a tracker .. ? (for stolen vehicles)

If it means a reduction in premium I think this will appeal to the responsible younger drivers who have no NCD and are hammered because of their age and lack of experience.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had no idea Jim...

Had I known this personal information I would not have written the post...

All I can do is apologise unreservedly and hope you can find a way to accept it....

I have deleted the post...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had no idea Jim...

Had I known this personal information I would not have written the post...

All I can do is apologise unreservedly and hope you can find a way to accept it....

I have deleted the post...

Thanks JJ ..

no harm done, you were not to know.. and perhaps I'm a tad over sensitive ..

I should have PMed you first rather than make you feel uncomfortable on the open forum. .. I know that it not your style.. nor mine.

jim ..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks JJ ..

no harm done, you were not to know.. and perhaps I'm a tad over sensitive ..

I should have PMed you first rather than make you feel uncomfortable on the open forum. .. I know that it not your style.. nor mine.

jim ..

Thank you for your understanding Jim... I am a relieved man...

I have being reviewing my attitude to the problem...

I would never have made such a feeble joke about other illnesses... why did I go ahead with that one...? :Angry:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
These little black boxes have been used by some insurance companies for newly qualified young drivers for a while. Supposedly to keep the premiums down. I wonder.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
On the radio yesterday, they said that initially the premiums will remain the same, only after the device records sensible driving can discounts be applied........a load of bo**ocks, i hope kids avoid it, like they did initially.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I see the tip of an iceberg, a large "Big Brother" iceberg.....

We saw you briefly touched 32 mph on a steep downhill road Sir, in a 30 zone, insurance invalidated...

We saw you in the left lane Sir, as you approached the roundabout, but then you took the 3rd exit, insurance invalidated.....

We saw that you stopped Sir, on an urban clearway, insurance invalidated.....

We saw you were parked on the street Sir, and not in your garage, insurance invalidated...

We saw that you had been driving for 9 hours without a break Sir, just before the accident, insurance invalidated..........

We saw your car spent 184 days this year kept away away from your (cheaper) home post code Sir, insurance invalidated....

Extreme OTT propositions....... maybe?........

Call me a cynic, but would this technology be used to the Insurer's advantage, more than that of the insured customer? We all now they already love to find a way to invalidate a claim....

Callum

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I see the tip of an iceberg, a large "Big Brother" iceberg.....

We saw you briefly touched 32 mph on a steep downhill road Sir, in a 30 zone, insurance invalidated...

We saw you in the left lane Sir, as you approached the roundabout, but then you took the 3rd exit, insurance invalidated.....

We saw that you stopped Sir, on an urban clearway, insurance invalidated.....

We saw you were parked on the street Sir, and not in your garage, insurance invalidated...

We saw that you had been driving for 9 hours without a break Sir, just before the accident, insurance invalidated..........

We saw your car spent 184 days this year kept away away from your (cheaper) home post code Sir, insurance invalidated....

Extreme OTT propositions....... maybe?........

Call me a cynic, but would this technology be used to the Insurer's advantage, more than that of the insured customer? We all now they already love to find a way to invalidate a claim....

Callum

As insurance companies are a business designed to make profits, they will do anything to maintain and increase that profit.
At the moment they are not insisting people use these devices (won't be long though), just offering a discount with evidence of reduced risk. They are not linked to GPS, so tracing back longer than immediately prior to an accident would be extremely difficult and costly, but not impossible - it depends on the length of time the device will record (a bit like a sophisticated tachograph already in the cabs of most large goods and many large passenger vehicles - strange as it may seem introduced because they were killing too many people).
It is not to insurance companies advantage to make insurance impossible, but just to increase the cost for those with high risks.
If that reduces costs for the less risky, I am quite happy with that.

A much bigger problem for me is those who drive without insurance - and for many that had little to do with cost, they have driven without any kind of documentation for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back