Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We've been in Calpe (Costa Blanca) for over a month now. ::bigsmile:
Generally speaking, we're loving it. Nice town, fantastic area, been lucky with the site and the walking/cycling is awesome in the mountains at the back. I’ve got the Sierra Olta, the Sierra Bernia and the Sierra Aitana to play on and haven’t stopped grinning yet!::bigsmile:
The one thing we've been surprised and, to be honest, a little disappointed with is the weather.:Doh: The first 3 weeks were fantastic with 19’s and 20’s and full sun but the past couple have been down right chilly. About 11-12 deg but feeling much cooler in the stiff breeze. :cry:
Now OK, we knew it wouldn’t be blazing at this time of year and we SHOULD be very thankful that we’re not sat in the UK snow but after a 1400 mile drive, its slightly disappointing to feel chilly, especially as ffi and I are far from being “nesh” (sp) people.:Cool:

I’d be very interested to hear weather reports from people further south, ie Malaga or Zahora, just to compare. We’ve been told many times by my relatives (who live here) that they see many ‘vans returning North here to the Costa Blanca because the area is supposedly known for having a micro climate and being generally warmer than a lot of places further south? Personally, I’m sceptical on this point and would appreciate some advice/experiences on the matter, perhaps from experienced Costa Blanca visitors.
Is this weather the norm’ for the Costa Blanca? Are we just unlucky this year in experiencing the whiplash tail end of the terrible storms in Europe or should we think of braving the ferry to get further south in future years?

Ta

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
As we will be setting off for the Marjal meet in a couple of weeks we are interested in the weather on the Costa Blanca. Pam has a few friends who have been living there for several years now. The have told her that the weather they are experiencing at the moment is not the norm for this time of year, it is usually much warmer. Having read the reports and seen the photos of those currently in Morocco it must be very tempting to travel further south, and to catch the ferry.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Mate...

We are down near Torreveija.... and in the sun it`s positivly balmy...:thumb:

but for nearly a week we have had them horrid winds which has made it feel cold..:Sad:

Warm sitting in the sun out of the wind tho.... bit chilly at night..

as of yesterday the winds have dropped of a bit from strong to a breeze..

Couple of weeks and we head off to the Funsters meet at the new Marjal.... where it will be stifflingly hot... :winky::ROFLMAO:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Touring

Just got back from Malaga, now at Cartagena Murcia. It's called Espana winter, cold winds(very) rain every other day, well it is February, they need the water for 9 months of dry season.
Watch as March begins you'll be back up into the 20c's again.
Check Accuweather, gives good forecasts up to 15 days.
Feb looks set to stay as it is now. At least the vino's cheap, bottoms up.:Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Zazkar.. glad your enjoying yourself ..

statistically and from our own experience, the best winter weather on the Peninsula is around Ameria.. when we stayed there winter 06- 07 it was getting the warmest driest weather, people were arriving from the S west of Spain and the Algarve complaining about the wet and cold..

have a look at this map for up to date temperatures, historical data.. zoom in, click on icons to see the data and click on the weather station for all records..

Use the bullseye sight to zoom in on any spot ..

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=52.0236616,1.416522

Edit.. just tried my link and it goes to Suffolk.. just zoom out and zoom in for the area I mentioned..

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

We've been at Cabopino, half way between Marbella & Fuengirola since 9 Nov.

We've had only 2 days of heavy rain/showers. 2 really gusty nights in the last fortnight & the temps have just dropped to the high teens this week.

We are in shorts & tee-shirts most days. We've recorded 28 degs C around 1pm lots of times. Doesnt get warm till around 9.30am & we get the sun til 6.30pm. Sunsets are glorious.:thumb:

Its sunny every day - look at www.weatheronline.co.uk

We cannot complain. Much warmer than last year & year before was horrendous. I think that the 'Siberian Cold Snap' has just hit the east coast of Spain for a week or two & will warm up again soon. We are lucky being 'just around the corner'

Enjoying every minute & the campsite is FULL!

Wouldnt dream of moving north at present. Set fair here for another month at least.

Cheers

Billkce

Attachments

• CIMG0040-12.jpg
    CIMG0040-12.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 23
  • CIMG0021-25.jpg
    CIMG0021-25.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 24

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
It is marginally warmer down here near Marbella at the moment, than the Costa Blanca, but not by much.

The Costa Blanca does usually get warmer days than here, but much colder nights, this time of the year.

We have had some strong winds just lately, which has resulted in some damage to trees and signs in the area.

Little or no rain since October which is unusual.

Pete:Cool:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi

We've been at Cabopino, half way between Marbella & Fuengirola since 9 Nov.

We've had only 2 days of heavy rain/showers. 2 really gusty nights in the last fortnight & the temps have just dropped to the high teens this week.

We are in shorts & tee-shirts most days. We've recorded 28 degs C around 1pm lots of times. Doesnt get warm till around 9.30am & we get the sun til 6.30pm. Sunsets are glorious.:thumb:

Its sunny every day - look at www.weatheronline.co.uk

We cannot complain. Much warmer than last year & year before was horrendous. I think that the 'Siberian Cold Snap' has just hit the east coast of Spain for a week or two & will warm up again soon. We are lucky being 'just around the corner'

Enjoying every minute & the campsite is FULL!

Wouldnt dream of moving north at present. Set fair here for another month at least.

Cheers

Billkce

Beat me again Bill:cry:

What with quiz's and stuff this is becoming an annoying habit:Sad:

Pete:Cool:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, same here in Javea, never two days the same, but we leave on Sunday after a month and we have had a lot more good days than bad. ::bigsmile:

We came out on the 11th December cold wet and very windy in France, and entered Spain on the 18th, since then only 4 days when it rained and then it was not all day, and some days windy, but we have to remember its winter here, and the Spanish have their hats and coats on.:winky::ROFLMAO:

We move to La Manga Sunday and don't expect the weather any different. ::bigsmile:

We went to Calpe and Altea yesterday, and was not tempted to put the shorts back on. :winky:

In the past we have been down the Malaga area and it has never been that much different.

Lovely day today. suns out clear blue sky and market day, so I will be walking around the town like a pack horse. :roflmto:

The predict 12 / 14c :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We will see. I predict about 16c in the awning.:ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:Bob.

I must add, I cant believe how FULL the sites are. ::bigsmile:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We have just got back after being in France/Spain since early October and at Torrevieja and Benidorm since November and the few days just before we left were the coldest all winter.

Except for the odd cloudy day and a couple of wet ones the temps generally have been 18-20c every day. A few times up to 24c.

Without a doubt the current cold snap is being influenced by the extreme cold weather across the whole of Europe. Friends just back from Italy said extremely cold there.

Normal service will soon resume :Cool: :Cool: :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi italy as never been that warm in winter .there is no doubt almeria is the warmest driest place to be in winter in europe . but cross the water drive 250miles down the coast its like uk summer .no good to head for the desert .it can be not so good there and you have to cross the mountains to reach the sea . but morocco is the only place you can drive to fairly easily that as a good winter.
even then the agadir area is the best. its protected normally by the canary isles so the wind from the sea gets filtered away from agadir . but you do have to put up with their culture and police etc . you either love it or hate it.
unfortunately spain isnt warm enough.
in spain its almost possible to see snow every day at this time of the year. even in almeria .deep snow over night on the mountains and i mean deep.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Just so you don't all feel left out...Over here in Tenerife..it ain't that warm either..temps down to around 18/19c..but feeling a LOT cooler in the wind..it has been windy for around 3 weeks which keeps the temp down...It is sunny but like I say due to the wind it is feeling cold..last year at this time it was sunnier and warmer BUT we did have a fair old bit of rain!!! Still it should pick up again in a couple of weeks.....HOPEFULLY!!!!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just so you don't all feel left out...Over here in Tenerife..it ain't that warm either..temps down to around 18/19c..but feeling a LOT cooler in the wind..it has been windy for around 3 weeks which keeps the temp down...It is sunny but like I say due to the wind it is feeling cold..last year at this time it was sunnier and warmer BUT we did have a fair old bit of rain!!! Still it should pick up again in a couple of weeks.....HOPEFULLY!!!!

Still sounds a whole lot better than Halifax Ray

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have had a house in Javea since 1986. Don't normally come this time of the year as February is the coldest month of the year. Here at the moment and it isn't as cold as it has been in previous years.

About 5 years ago I was here doing a bit of TLC to the house, got up early morning to get ready to drive to Alicante to catch the plane - no way, few inches of snow on the lawn, motorway closed because of black ice. Took 2 hours to drive from Javea to Alicante.

Enjoy - much warmer than Northern Europe!

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
hi italy as never been that warm in winter .there is no doubt almeria is the warmest driest place to be in winter in europe . but cross the water drive 250miles down the coast its like uk summer .no good to head for the desert .it can be not so good there and you have to cross the mountains to reach the sea . but morocco is the only place you can drive to fairly easily that as a good winter.
even then the agadir area is the best. its protected normally by the canary isles so the wind from the sea gets filtered away from agadir . but you do have to put up with their culture and police etc . you either love it or hate it.
unfortunately spain isnt warm enough.
in spain its almost possible to see snow every day at this time of the year. even in almeria .deep snow over night on the mountains and i mean deep.

Simple answer to that Alan, dont go into the mountains...stay on the beach!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats true .but isnt it amazing when you are on the beach in shorts and you look around . we did it last spring near guardais viejas.all over the hills snow.and benidorm the hills there get covered .
and again in late april as we left tagle on the very north coast to go to santander.
its really amazing .most dont think of spain and snow.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Morning funsters from the yet again sunny Javea, with its micro climate. :thumb:
The shorts went on again yesterday, its looking good for today.
Last night was a cold one 1.5c at 07.00 this morning.

Only today and tomorrow here then off on Sunday, :cry: we have a great pitch and lots of sun.::bigsmile:

Already the Dutch are fighting to get on it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Warm Feeling

We are missing Spain due to some health problems but good to hear you are all well and warm.Although we have more snow and cold our town is basking in the sunshine as a younge couple who live 300 yds away celebrate winning £46million on lottery:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Stay Safe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back