Roof Marking ID (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have read with interest the different ideas many companies have when trying to sell roof ID to motorhomers.
My business involved the manufacture and supply of emergency services fleet markings which included roof marks. In the early 80's the government suggested these as a means of identification by air support units. At that time a size of 6 inches was agreed. By the early 90's this size was decided to be to small so 12 inches was then used. As time progressed the mid 90's saw yet another alteration come into play. The helicopter pilots agreed that in order to clearly read a roof mark it had to be 18 inches. This is now still the rule and any larger would mean much bigger roof area. We roof marked the prison vans at 18 inches much earlier than police vehicles.
My warning to funsters purchasing roof ID is to state 18 inches high and use the last three digits of your vehicles VIN Number.
If you need any advice please let me know. I also have a contact for the roof marks.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Do not know much about roof marking but I thought about post code on roof I know if you moved house you would have to change it`s only for I/D from air ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Do not know much about roof marking but I thought about post code on roof I know if you moved house you would have to change it`s only for I/D from air ?
No never a post code. Naughty people stand on bridge read post code from roof, then knowing you are not at home, pop around and help themselves to your 50" plasma. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
As Les says using your postcode is inviting trouble to your house. The idiot who suggested this was, of course, a politician in the late eighties. The VIN number on the roof can stay forever without the hassle of needing to remove. Always use black and a quality vinyl with at least a 10 year guarantee. A normal size for easy fitment to most motorhome roofs is the standard 18 inch height, three numbers, and a length of 3 feet. Any graphic manufacturer will make to your specification.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For our Autoquest, back in 2006, I bought vinyl graphics of the registration number - from someone on eBay who happened to also be in County Durham coincidentally :Smile:

I can't recall how tall they were seeing as the van is now at a breakers (also in County Durham ::bigsmile:) but I think they were 12 inches.

At 18 inches I should think the full reg number would be too wide so last 3 digits of the VIN seems pretty sensible.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think I have enough roof space with all the solar panels. I did have the reg no on my previous van but not big enough for myopic helicopter pilots :Smile:

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
No never a post code. Naughty people stand on bridge read post code from roof, then knowing you are not at home, pop around and help themselves to your 50" plasma. :cry:

Good point

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just a thought, do you do or could you do replacement graphics for MHomes, my Rapido ones look a little tired...

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The Stobart Group did this in the late 90s on a lot of the trailers...all trailers were marked on the sides with fleet numbers..these were easily removed..so it was decided to mark the roof of all the trailers with the fleet numbers so they were noticeable from the air...In fact one of the former Stobart drivers actually said his son who was a fighter pilot said they used to use Stobart trailers and vehicles as aiming marks when ever they were crossing the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith and vice versa because of the size of the Fleet numbers on the roof!!!....Believe it or not trailer theft is more prevalant than actual vehicle theft....

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just a thought, do you do or could you do replacement graphics for MHomes, my Rapido ones look a little tired...

Reproducing ANY graphics is possible. The only problem is the length of time required to set up the original designs to manufacture. I usually sit down with the customer and come up with something similar but at a sensible price. I have just finished fitting new graphics to an Autocruise Vista and a Wentworth. Since 1980 I have used the same vinyl manufacturer because of there quality product. To date we have signwritten over 22,000 vehicles and had NO complaints about the product. If motorhome / caravan manufacturers used a good vinyl customers would not need replace graphics for at least 15 years, or longer. We manufactured the graphics for the original Compass company and they used good quality products. When they sold out our brief was to lower the quality and price, we wouldn't and never manufactured for the leisure industry again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back