Brownhills storage closing (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Brownhills storage in Birtley, Durham is issuing 2 months notice to everyone on the storage park as it is closing April. I was informed by a guy removing his caravan on Sat morning whilst I was there, he had received a letter that morning. We are still waiting for our letter to arrive, 3days later.

Does anyone have any experience (good/bad) of storage sites in the Co Durham area, thanks

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
If this is true, the b*st*rds haven't told me yet - time to look for a new space on scran's drive::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
It's true, I rang yesterday to confirm and they said it was because of increased insurance costs. They said it wasn't viable to keep storage on. 200 spaces at average £400+ is only £80000 a year!! Looking for a field now to set up a business :winky:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No surprise there, showroom and gates next.
Storage available at Elddis Transport, Consett and T & N White at Park Road Industrial Estate, Consett. Both secure. Plenty of farm sites but safety and vermon issues are the problem.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I am going to hunt for a new site today.:Smile: Could be fun because there will be 200+ owners from Brownhill's site looking for a space.

Consett is a bit far out for me, I want to have holidays in the MH, not have to take a holiday to get to it ::bigsmile:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
News to me also. :Eeek:

Wonder if they are looking at the bigger picture?

E.g. if you use their storage you are more likely to use their shop and workshops. Sounds like they are winding down the site for closure. :Sad:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m just going to phone plod, and tell him that there are a load of "travellers" huntng for a new site locally,...that should get the buggers out in the cold, instead of huddling round a heater issuing crime numbers over the phone::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am going to hunt for a new site today.:Smile: Could be fun because there will be 200+ owners from Brownhill's site looking for a space.

Consett is a bit far out for me, I want to have holidays in the MH, not have to take a holiday to get to it ::bigsmile:

Hope you find somewhere good quickly.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I have been good intel (Thanks Paul) with regard to the old Discover site at Birtley and am on their "List" :Smile:
I am going to look at another site near to the Metro Centre which will probably be ideal for us as it is only 3 miles away :thumb: Handy for some retail therapy as well ::bigsmile:

Just got my notification from Brownhills this morning citing increased insurance costs being more than the storage income. It must be bloody expensive insurance :Eeek:
The letter also states that they intend to make "Alternative Use of the land" whatever that means - a little housing estate perhaps ?:RollEyes:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
For anyone else who is interested, Catterick Caravans are taking over the old Discover site at the top of Birtley and will have a small storage area opening in about a months time (40-45 units). They are starting a waiting list if you give them a call 0191 4105221.

Alternatives also on the Link Removed site.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Wow one part of the industry I rthought was safe..................:Sad:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Boooo

Brownhills storage in Birtley, Durham is issuing 2 months notice to everyone on the storage park as it is closing April. I was informed by a guy removing his caravan on Sat morning whilst I was there, he had received a letter that morning. We are still waiting for our letter to arrive, 3days later.

Does anyone have any experience (good/bad) of storage sites in the Co Durham area, thanks

From what I've heard of Brownhills the whole place needs to close down, too big for it's boots. lost contact with exactly who the customer is.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the trouble with storage anywhere is non payers, it must load everyone elses costs. Local storage down here is £1 a day which seems reasonable but a bit far from durham:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not just insurance must be fulltime staff (assuming its maned 24 hrs a day, that could come to £50000 ish). So not such a goldmine.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I think they would be better going in to storage business as they are useless in the motor home business

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I just have to refit my newly charged battery to the MH next week & I will be removing it to a new storage area which is a lot closer to home.
I managed to get a spaxce at Storage24 Ltd. which is located close to the Metro Centre.

Anyone else interested can give James Roberts a call on 07909 741680.

Its considerably cheaper than the Brownhills set up - well you would expect that wouldn't you :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back