Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Discovered about an inch of water sitting in front of drawer under cooker (parked on slope). Mopped up but returned after more rain. Cooker is in back corner,right hand side (hymer B584). Can't see water on floor behind drawer when it's pulled out but haven't removed drawer yet as scared of breaking it! Any ideas on how to proceed please?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry--I'm the least expert person here but if the water is rain water then I guess you have to find where it's coming in and stop it. if you could find where it's coming in put down towels so at least it'll get soaked up straight away.

If not rain, a leaking pipe?

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I'm no expert but your description really sounds more like a water leak from one of your pipes feeding the sink or shower etc?

You need to get the drawer out fast and check...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Were your water systems drained?

Have you had low temps recently (sub zero)?

Could be a some trapped water or bit of a plug of water sitting in a dead end with the slope, causing a frozen pipe, could have burst and now thawed out in daytime temperature...

Best get looking soonest...

Callum

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Sorry--I'm the least expert person here but if the water is rain water then I guess you have to find where it's coming in and stop it. if you could find where it's coming in put down towels so at least it'll get soaked up straight away.

If not rain, a leaking pipe?
Thankyou. Really not sure what's going on yet, but isn't it great to have such support here?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
I'm no expert but your description really sounds more like a water leak from one of your pipes feeding the sink or shower etc?

Thankyou for your reply.I did drain all tanks though afew weeks ago,so I didn't think it would be that.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
just because you have drained down, doesnt mean you got all the water out unless you blew it through as well,water could still be laying in some pipes if you didnt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Were your water systems drained?

Have you had low temps recently (sub zero)?

Could be a some trapped water or bit of a plug of water sitting in a dead end with the slope, causing a frozen pipe, could have burst and now thawed out in daytime temperature...

Best get looking soonest...

Callum
Thankyou for your reply. Drained water systems weeks ago_Only noticed this water during last week, and yes we've had sub zero temps during the last week, but I'm thinking I noticed the water before it got really cold, but I couldn't swear to it. (should start a log !).Do you think it's unlikely to be from outside then? (that's what I feared, but actually will fear whatever is the most costly to fix!)

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thankyou for your reply. Drained water systems weeks ago_Only noticed this water during last week, and yes we've had sub zero temps during the last week, but I'm thinking I noticed the water before it got really cold, but I couldn't swear to it. (should start a log !).Do you think it's unlikely to be from outside then? (that's what I feared, but actually will fear whatever is the most costly to fix!)

It seems more likely that it is from inside, but it's not impossible you have a leak. Have you had much recent rainfall? It would have to run quite a bit from somewhere externally to then end up collecting only in a drawer.

Something internal is more likely, especially as you were on a slope, water can get trapped if your pipe run is now slightly uphill. I once found water in our pots / pans drawer which is under the oven. The sink is partly above the oven, but the oven slides into a sealed casing/compartment, so safe from the sink above in theory.

It turned out it was just the plughole on the sink was slack, you know the screw in the middle of the drainhole. It would only leak when the sink was full with the plug in and then very slowly. Disconnected the drain / plughole and it cleaned it up, replaced it with a bit of sealant, no probs since.

Just have a good check, try and get that other drawer out, maybe there is some limiting srews you need to remove to get the drawer out but it should come out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
just because you have drained down, doesnt mean you got all the water out unless you blew it through as well,water could still be laying in some pipes if you didnt
Yes :cry:I'm sure your'e right and that would be because I don't know what to blow, where all the pipes go and so on and on.Looking like I can't avoid calling in the professionals? :Blush: Thankyou, sounds like you think I've a burst pipe?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
It seems more likely that it is from inside, but it's not impossible you have a leak. Have you had much recent rainfall? It would have to run quite a bit from somewhere externally to then end up collecting only in a drawer.

Something internal is more likely, especially as you were on a slope, water can get trapped if your pipe run is now slightly uphill. I once found water in our pots / pans drawer which is under the oven. The sink is partly above the oven, but the oven slides into a sealed casing/compartment, so safe from the sink above in theory.

It turned out it was just the plughole on the sink was slack, you know the screw in the middle of the drainhole. It would only leak when the sink was full with the plug in and then very slowly. Disconnected the drain / plughole and it cleaned it up, replaced it with a bit of sealant, no probs since.

Just have a good check, try and get that other drawer out, maybe there is some limiting srews you need to remove to get the drawer out but it should come out.
Thankyou very much, that's very interesting and not so scary!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie

Oops! Am now learning that I should have blown through (not sure where or what) so sounds like you could well be right. :Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mac3

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Water in me drawers!

Hello. Haven't posted for a while cos waiting to see.I had water in drawer beneath cooker around frosty times. Called mobile motorhome engineer,who found split convoluted pipe beneath plughole in gas hob.All fixed,but still finding about a tablespoon of water in drawer daily.Engineer did wonder if water coming in round window, though little rain lately. Not convinced we've got to the bottom of it. ps. who needs a plughole in a gas hob? Engineer said something about my van being 'over-engineered', and am wondering if I would have done better buying an older Hymer. Am not a fan of electric windows, and my car doesn't even have power steering, could have saved myself some money buying a simpler and older model? I love my van though. Any feedback/ pros. and cons. appreciated, + of course any ideas about this tiny amount of water in drawer.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
:Eeek:Suggestion.... if you want to eliminate all other potential leaks except the window. drain everything down including any pipework / p trap under the sink. place kitchen roll in the draw. put hose on window, check kitchen roll.

alternatively go around all the joints and pipes in that area with toilet paper to absorb any slight water dribbles, check it every few seconds you should then locate the leak and decide next steps.. if none run some water and try again.
its a process of elimination.:thumb:

just a few thoughts!:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello. Haven't posted for a while cos waiting to see.I had water in drawer beneath cooker around frosty times. Called mobile motorhome engineer,who found split convoluted pipe beneath plughole in gas hob.All fixed,but still finding about a tablespoon of water in drawer daily.Engineer did wonder if water coming in round window, though little rain lately. Not convinced we've got to the bottom of it. ps. who needs a plughole in a gas hob? Engineer said something about my van being 'over-engineered', and am wondering if I would have done better buying an older Hymer. Am not a fan of electric windows, and my car doesn't even have power steering, could have saved myself some money buying a simpler and older model? I love my van though. Any feedback/ pros. and cons. appreciated, + of course any ideas about this tiny amount of water in drawer.

You should see my house. Now been without water for 2 weeks 3 days. Have a toilet sitting in the middle of a bedroom, gaping hole in bathroom wall (plumber decided to tackle it with a hammer!!) Another, neat hole in a shower room wall, a blown shower bar (only 3 and half weeks old!) a split tap, the list goes on and on..... Insurance claim now at €2000 plus and rising and still no sodding water!!

Hope your leak turns out to be much simpler than mine. :cry:

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I have just spent the weekend getting 'Hengist 'our hymer ready for the off
I too had drained everything down before the winter, or so I thought.

I had forgoten about the nature pure water filter which is tucked away at the back of the under sink cupboard, when I went under there to clean I saw that the top of the filter housing had been pushed up where it had frozen. Luckily apart from a small crack on the edge of the top cap it seems ok and did not leak after I put it all back together.
So after filling the water tank for sterilising and running some water through the kitchen tap, I then found that the top section of the bathroom tap had been forced up by a few millimeters, DOH !!!! Luckily I was also able to fix that
After 25 years+ of caravaning & motorhoming and never previously had a problem with frozen pipes, it just goes to show you cannot be too carefull when draining down for the winter.
I have now tested every system in Hengist to within an inch of it,s life so that when we do hit the road there are hopefully not going to be any suprises

Happy Funster Daze Ahead :Cool:
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back