Outdoor power at home. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
About to get a price for outside lights, nothing to do with our first MH that is hopefully arriving next week.

Is it worth getting a quote for a outside power point too is the question. For what reason would i want to have a power out to the MH. Can use extension lead for occasional use (vacuuming etc), so would it be worth at least getting a price?

Would it be a normal domestic 3 pin plug outside and some sort of adaptor for the EHU lead?

Thanks

Steve

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Well worth it I would say, I have a outside socket and use it all the time not just for the motorhome, just have a proper outdoor socket and get an adapter for your hook up lead:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
About to get a price for outside lights, nothing to do with our first MH that is hopefully arriving next week.

Is it worth getting a quote for a outside power point too is the question. For what reason would i want to have a power out to the MH. Can use extension lead for occasional use (vacuuming etc), so would it be worth at least getting a price?

Would it be a normal domestic 3 pin plug outside and some sort of adaptor for the EHU lead?

Thanks

Steve

Only you can say if you would use it or not , certainly very useful of keeping the van's batteries on charge .. and using a heater in the winter..

You could have either a waterproof domestic 13A socket .. which means using an adaptor or a dedicated EHU lead just for home use... that means you can use the socket for any other domestic or gardening appliance .. or a Blue 3 pin 16A outlet same as they fit for on EHU posts .... my preference is a 16A socket ..

Have it done at the same time as the lights and it will be cheaper than having it done later on ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, it is certainly a good idea to have an external power socket. We have one and use it regularly to keep the van hooked-up to maintain charge for batteries and particularly for running the fridge for a day or so before travelling.

Brian
Brian

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, I don`t think I would have much use for it for anything that I couldn`t use a extension lead for, so would only really consider it if there was a good enough reason for the MH, but never having had one before wasn`t sure.

Would you normally leave it connected permanently if you had a outdoor socket?

No harm in getting a price.

(Sorry, this post crossed with the couple above, seems like there are enough reasons to at least get a price)

Thanks

Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks, I don`t think I would have much use for it for anything that I couldn`t use a extension lead for, so would only really consider it if there was a good enough reason for the MH, but never having had one before wasn`t sure.

Would you normally[HI] leave it connected permanently [/HI]if you had a outdoor socket?

No harm in getting a price.

Not necessarily but it is more convenient than an extension lead

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would you normally leave it connected permanently if you had a outdoor socket?
Steve

Yes.

The electronics and alarm flatten the battery is a very short time these days ( 2, 3 weeks ) so I'd say it is essential.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Don`t suppose anyone can give me a `ball park` figure?

Where I would probably want it would be behind a gate which would be about 5ft from the outside electricity meter/fuse box, so assume that is where they would take a feed from.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don`t suppose anyone can give me a `ball park` figure?

Where I would probably want it would be behind a gate which would be about 5ft from the outside electricity meter/fuse box, so assume that is where they would take a feed from.

I'm not in the contracting 'game' so only a rough idea..

Socket £30 ..
RCD £30
+ cable + time

say ... £100 - £125

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks

Steve
in a word......Convenience.

i have a dedicated blue Euro-socket fitted to my garage wall (RCD protected) next to the RV.

i also have a compact adaptor, below, so I can use it for normal 3 pin plugs

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 9
  • blue socket.JPG
    blue socket.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, worth doing for that sort of money.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Did some of it myself, just got the guys who were rewiring my house to put the wire were I wanted it and wired in the socket myself. I do believe a spur can be taken from almost any ring main although I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will correct me:winky:

This is the one I fitted Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the socket in my pic was around £5 and an RCD, depending on your fuse box make, will be around £20 to £30.

probably 1/2hr to install if its only 2mtrs from fusebox and straightforward.

i would say around £75 'all in' for a 'one man band' electrician.

you will then have power for other outdoor tasks as well....lawnmower, hedge trimming etc

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
outdoor power

I leave my power on all the time.

On frosty nights , I leave the heater on low.

Good for powering fridge up, so you can be away quickly.

Saves having the lead trailing out through the letterbox

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I leave my power on all the time.

On frosty nights ,[HI] I leave the heater on low.[/HI]

Good for powering fridge up, so you can be away quickly.

Saves having the lead trailing out through the letterbox

Do you mean the van heating or a stand alone heater ?

Reason I mention, this was discussed on another thread.. if it is a stand alone heater, in the event of a fire your insurance may not (read probably not) pay out .. worth checking ...

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got an external one and M/H is permanently on hook up it`s handy right now but god knows how much the leccy bill will be:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mine is plugged in permanently :thumb:I have 2 outside sockets in the garden but the van is plugged into the garage via it's hook up lead ::bigsmile:
terry

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life

Thanks

Steve

You can pick up the adapter, thats if you dont get one supplied with your motorhome..on ebay.
As far a wiring goes ya have to get a bit techy....if you are techy minded you can save yourself a fortune by doing it yourself. I had a mate who was an electrician and although fully confident in my electrical ability I always used to pay him to check my work and connect the last wire. Pay an electrician to assess the job and tell you what to do and where to do it...thats the labour part of the work done.
Then pay him again for the final check over.
You can pick up armoured outside cable at diy stores or cheaper through ya friendly electrician ...

Just a thought at saving a few bob.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Have an external 13 amp 3 pin socket fitted and buy one of these to connect your hook up lead to
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hook-Up-Adaptor-Caravan-motorhome/dp/B001AVLPF2[/ame]
if your going to tour europe you also need the 2 pin version as well

once youve had your socket put in you will find it useful for lots of things
you will need to charge your van from time to time also, ours is permanently plugged in when on the drive

regards
Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There is another far cheaper way of doing it. Buy an external socket kit from B&Q or elsewhere. Aldi had them in a few weeks back for £15 or thereabouts.

The kit comes with the socket and RCD pre wired, so if you can drill a hole and fit a plug its simple

Decide where you want the socket on the outside wall and try to ensure its near a socket on the inside wall.
Drill a hole through the wall near the position but avoiding any wires or pipes. You can get a cheap wire and studwork detector for under £10 and good for many other jobs.
push loose end of wire through hole and fix socket on outside wall
the wire you just pushed through wall, fit the standard 3 pin plug
clip cables for neatness and safety
plug in and switch on

simples

Should take 15 minutes and is an easy DIY task that does not need certifying by an electrician as its not wired into the ring, just a plug in appliance

hawkmoon

Free Member
Feb 9, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Did some of it myself, just got the guys who were rewiring my house to put the wire were I wanted it and wired in the socket myself. I do believe a spur can be taken from almost any ring main although I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will correct me:winky:

This is the one I fitted Link Removed

I have the same type fitted, yes easiest option is to locate on an outside wall where there is a double socket internally. Switch power off on ring main, remove double socket, drill thro wall, slide cable thro, position external socket, drill fixing holes and secure. Connect cable to back of internal socket if qualified or get a friendly electrician to do this, repeat for new external socket. Use suitable sealant around cable egress holes & around sides & top of ext socket, test & job done. Only problem I have is opening the d*mm front flap as its very tight. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back