Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
As in the title really, we're expecting pretty low temperatures tonight so to be on the safe side I knocked up a gadget to do the purging, and it seems to work well (I know you can buy the kit but I kind of panicked a bit today when I saw the forecast.)

What is the general opinion on the subject, is it crucial or do you bother?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did mine with my garage compressor, but this is the first year to do so.
I generally rely on just draining down.

also, as my pump needs some remedial work i removed it completely and took it indoors

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
would imagine the poster is refering to emptying the fresh water system and pipes so there is no damage to the system, and blowing them through to ensure no water lies trapped in the pipes as being plastic they will possibly crackm whilst also not forgetting the hot water boiler

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
would imagine the poster is refering to emptying the fresh water system and pipes so there is no damage to the system, and blowing them through to ensure no water lies trapped in the pipes as being plastic they will possibly crackm whilst also not forgetting the hot water boiler

Yes, what chatter said :Blush:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and in answer to the OP i would of drained down/purged the system weeks ago, because you never know when jack frost and bad weather will strike, and if using the van over winter i would of done it after every trip

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and in answer to the OP i would of drained down/purged the system weeks ago, because you never know when jack frost and bad weather will strike, and if using the van over winter i would of done it after every trip

agreed.....a bit chilly here last night, but this morning the screen washer tank on the work van was frozen (and i mean the tank !) and de-icer froze to the screen.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Personally I thing purging with compressed air is going a bit far, a drop of water left in the blue pipes used in modern vans will not do any harm, the pipes have some flexibility.

It is, of course. important that tanks and the boiler are emptied, along with any breakable components - ours has a filter housed in a glass holder which obviously need to be dry.

Another solution is to drain the water and the boiler before leaving the last site. Driving home afterwards with the taps left open will rid the system adequately of any residual drops.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I think that draining everything down and leaving ALL taps open (inc. outside shower) will prevent pipe damage------(IF there is some water in the pipes, it can expand ALONG the pipe if taps are open,--I think) but the areas most at risk are where a volume of water can hide----like hot water system, water pump and filter, I have taken a chance in the past (without problems) but this winter we have left our 5er in storage all winter, so I did blow through the whole system with a small compressor, and put anti-freeze down all plug holes.
when we get back in the spring we shall see if we got it right:roflmto:
Nigel & Pamala--------Zahora, at the moment

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Even though I have purged the system I still wrap all the taps , shower head and hose and the boiler in towels just in case , dont know if I am being paranoid or not . :whatthe:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Another solution is to drain the water and the boiler before leaving the last site. Driving home afterwards with the taps left open will rid the system adequately of any residual drops.

Agree always follow this practice seems to work OK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Personally I thing purging with compressed air is going a bit far, a drop of water left in the blue pipes used in modern vans will not do any harm, the pipes have some flexibility.

It is, of course. important that tanks and the boiler are emptied, along with any breakable components - ours has a filter housed in a glass holder which obviously need to be dry.

ice expands in all directions...not just the easiest route...and if its at a pipe joint it will push it apart.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yoiu should do whatever helps you sleep at night, some blow, some dont, neither is right or wrong, the main thing, is 1 hour + very little effort = no kicking yourself up the bum if soemnthing went wrong::bigsmile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
A little different here as we are using the van but have drained down as suggested earlier but cannot use compressed air to clear the remaining water, we will leave all the taps open and we can leave the boiler on we are using the blown air heating which doesn't need water but are going to use bottled water for the necessaries and even though we had tank heaters and we are all lagged underneath we still froze up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back