Dipping clutch before ignition - do you? (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sure I haven't forgotten the basics of my driving lessons, when I was taught to check the car was in neutral (waggle stick), start the engine and then dip the clutch and put it into gear.

However my Fiat manual says that I should dip the clutch pedal before starting the engine....which I keep forgetting to do.

And then today I read a BBC news article about the cold weather where an AA spokesman says:

"Before starting the car you should make sure the lights, radio, heated windscreen are all switched off, then dip the clutch when you turn the ignition. That means all the power from the battery will go to the starter motor."

I Googled and apparently this is to stop the start motor having to work the gearbox in addition to the engine....hence the connection to extra battery strain in the BBC article. So I've learnt something today :thumb:

So....is this a fairly recent thing?:Blush:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I'm sure I haven't forgotten the basics of my driving lessons, when I was taught to check the car was in neutral (waggle stick), start the engine and then dip the clutch and put it into gear.

However my Fiat manual says that I should dip the clutch pedal before starting the engine....which I keep forgetting to do.

And then today I read a BBC news article about the cold weather where an AA spokesman says:

"Before starting the car you should make sure the lights, radio, heated windscreen are all switched off, then dip the clutch when you turn the ignition. That means all the power from the battery will go to the starter motor."

I Googled and apparently this is to stop the start motor having to work the gearbox in addition to the engine....hence the connection to extra battery strain in the BBC article. So I've learnt something today :thumb:

So....is this a fairly recent thing?:Blush:

a number of models will not start unless you do that, our Passat for one.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
always taught when i was in the Army ( especially in cold weather ) to dip the clutch on cold starting. Not so important when oils warm up. This disengages the weight of the gears in the box from the engine and lightens the load on the starter and battery.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i've always done it.....but then, I leave in gear when parked......except at the moment i have an auto and it wont start if it aint in park/neutral.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
No, not that recent, it has certainly been Ford advice for many years now. Batteries have got smaller since the loss of 101octane fuel and high compression engines.

There is no point asking your battery to do more work than is absolutely necessary.

SO, dip your clutch prior to start up. Not many clutches use friction bearing these days like the old phosphor bronze and graphite thrust bearings so less to wear out.

Battery then only has to turn over the engine as opposed to gear train as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was taught to dip the clutch before ignition when I took driving lessons over 30 years ago. Always have done ever since.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Just had a thought, all of the Ford range with the new "start" button only operate with the clutch pedal depressed anyway.

When I was in Malta at Christmas my hire car Ren' Megane was exactly the same. Clutch depressed or no start.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Me To. Put foot on clutch before starting and park with brake on and in gear (drive is on a slope)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what's a clutch... :roflmto:

once you have an auto you never want to go manual again.. :Cool:

but yes, like Jim , learned that when I was 17 .. though not so long ago as he :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Never heard of it but will take note of the advice.:thumb:

My car and motorhome are manual but the work van is tiptronic and i always use it in automatic.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
what's a clutch... :roflmto:

once you have an auto you never want to go manual again.. :Cool:

but yes, like Jim , learned that when I was 17 .. though not so long ago as he :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is only Bob's car that actually has a clutch, my Smart and and the van do not. Still do a bit of footwork though ::bigsmile: On the brake! Jane :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Dipping the clutch is part of the 'cockpit drill' for starting in the Advanced Driving challenge (IAM)

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have always done on manual gearboxes was told by a good friends daughter, she was taught by army and drove 10 ton trucks, but could not get on driving cars, too small.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I have always dipped the clutch before starting - also always park in gear - 1st if car pointing uphill, reverse if car pointing downhill.
Never knew why I dipped the clutch - think Rex told me to when I was learning - he was in the Army at the time :winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have always dipped the clutch before starting - also always park in gear - 1st if car pointing uphill, reverse if car pointing downhill.
Never knew why I dipped the clutch - [HI]think Rex told me to [/HI]when I was learning - he was in the Army at the time :winky:

Doing what Rex tells you to, has got you where you are today, wise lady.

Have you always done what Rex tells you to? Answers on a postcard please. to Auntie Griff :Blush:

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone :thumb:

....looks like I'm in the minority:Blush:

Just checked my old Citroen C3 manual and it also mentions declutching while turning over the engine but only when the temperature is below 0°C....guess that's due to the oil.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I remember my Father telling me about dipping the clutch when I was 9 ... that was in 1955 when I was becoming interested in 'how things worked'. :roflmto:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l always dip the clutch on a manual, always have done. It not only stops the gearbox turning, allowing the starter to turn just the engine, it also stops unwanted giant leaps if still in gear, which l have seen many times.

Craig

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I am going to be the only dissenting voice here!

I fully accept that modern car advice is to dip the clutch, and that many cars now will not start if you do not. It does save energy in not turning the gearbox.

But, in the old days, clutch thrust bearings used to wear out and I learned not to touch the clutch more than was absolutely necessary. I remember having to take the engine out of a Hillman Imp (I had no money) - not fun but possible - to replace a clutch bearing, once you've done that your priority is not to wear out the thrust bearing again!

Maybe modern clutches are tougher (maybe????)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back