LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've never visited it, should on the way back from Marjal ?

Is the parking/aire near the Olympic area good/safe ?

I'd like to see some of Gaudi's work.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hiya, considering Bob and I do not like cities, we did enjoy our visit to Barcelona. We went in on the train and took the bus tour (great for getting a feel for the place and a good look at the architecture) and took a walk down Las Ramblas. Would visit the Gaudi village if we returned. Keep an firm grip on your valuables :ROFLMAO: and as forthe aire, they charge well for it as for if it is safe I have no idea. We would probably park (camp) away from Barcelona and catch a train in again if we did not have Izzy (no dogs on trains). Hope that helps, Jane :Smile:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Hiya, considering Bob and I do not like cities, we did enjoy our visit to Barcelona. We went in on the train and took the bus tour (great for getting a feel for the place and a good look at the architecture) and took a walk down Las Ramblas. Would visit the Gaudi village if we returned. Keep an firm grip on your valuables :ROFLMAO: and as forthe aire, they charge well for it as for if it is safe I have no idea. We would probably park (camp) away from Barcelona and catch a train in again if we did not have Izzy (no dogs on trains). Hope that helps, Jane :Smile:

dead right camp on site near a rail station..and barca has more pick pockets than the whole of spain ?????? dont take anything you dont need on you ,,
but its a great place to go you must visit
the zoo and gaudis church,, there are two round barca busses one goes one way one goes the other on tours.you used to be able to park with m/h at the footie ground :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
interesting site before visit Link Removed

S

stagman

Deleted User

Barcelona fantastic been several times always had a great time never been robbed , but just be as careful as if you were in any large city . We used the ACSI card at http://www.camping3estrellas.net/ then caught the bus in from outside campsite I think it was around 2euros return , and the bus drops you off at the start of the Ramblas far more enjoyable I think :thumb:

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We went 3 years ago parked in Air / carpark has fences round and security on gates hook ups bit lottery, toilets / showers dirty 25eruos night tour bus goes from up road and you can get on and off when you want 2 different routes included in price 30 ish euros per day think you can get longer tickets better buy.Barcelona great lots to see.enjoy

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Stayed there during the summer for 2 nights, Bus stops right outside, Supermarket within walking distance, perfect for a stop for sight seeing in barca, wouldn't hesitate to go back, felt very safe, 30euro a night.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I'm very surprised that a well traveled man like you has never been to Barca. Its a fantastic city with loads to see.

The open top buses around the city are great, you can get on and off all day.

The area around the Olympic stadium is fairly quiet but I don't know anything about the Aire.

It gets very hot during the day time in the city which can make it hard work but worth it.

If you wander down Les Rambles, keep your hand on your wallet.

Jim
:Smile:

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Barcelona is well worth a visit.

Lots of Gaudi architecture and not forgetting Parc Guell designed by Gaudi along with the structures in the grounds.
Sagrada Familia
Picasso Museum
Cable car ride from the Montjuic area down to the Barceloneta beach
Placa de Catalunya - apart from the place itself, Brian, lots of bikes park here.

If your wife carries a handbag, she should carry it over her shoulder to the front. If you and she visit a pavement cafe/restaurant don't leave the bag on the floor by her legs.

Use the tourist buses to get around the top sites.

The Barcelona city have a good site for info. Here

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Our plan was to stop further out of Barcelona and then train in, so picked Blanes to the north. We knew the coastal rail line would be interesting, the cost was peanuts. We went in twice.

Fortunate enough for there to be a game at the Noucamp, it was a wonderous. No tickets available but there were loads of touts and we had amazing seats belonging to season ticket holders (long story).
The bar across the road from the stadium after the match was a true life experience, smashing people to be with.

Overall a fabulous city living up to it's reputation in all respects.

We found that just being a little savvy and haven't almost nothing with us except for the basics, we felt quite happy going all over and around Barcelona. So leave your most valuable possessions (MH etc) somewhere safe, and go to Barcelona without any fear, just a little awareness.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We regularly catch the train from Santa Suzanna and have never had a problem with our dogs on the train! People get on with bikes, and all sorts, so a small dog on my knee has never raised an eyebrow. We have showed our tickets to the conductor, who was much more interested in the many people who did not buy a ticket.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We always stay at camping Bon Repos in Santa suzanna north of Barcelona. Campsite right on the beach with free wifi. Trains station is virtually next door and costs about 8 euro return.
On way to Marjal, currently just arrived in Benidorm today..
See ya there :thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Women should not carry a handbag........go very light take very little.Beware of being close to other people.
Watch out for diversionary tactics of any kind. Money belts..or wallets that are fixed to a belt loop via a cord are good..never in a back pocket.

In Barcelona you are up against some of the best international pickpockets....they are the preditors and you are the potential victim.

barry:Smile:

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
best not to wear any clothes do the naturist thing try and hide your money up your arse. on thinking about it go to afghanistan.:Smile:much safer.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We regularly catch the train from Santa Suzanna and have never had a problem with our dogs on the train! People get on with bikes:Smile:, and all sorts, so a small dog on my knee has never raised an eyebrow. We have showed our tickets to the conductor, who was much more interested in the many people who did not buy a ticket.
Thanks for that :Smile: we were going on what we had heard. Shows we should have just tested the rules. I suppose, if challenged, we could have said she is an an assistance dog ::bigsmile: Jane :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Barcelona fantastic been several times always had a great time never been robbed , but just be as careful as if you were in any large city . We used the ACSI card at http://www.camping3estrellas.net/ then caught the bus in from outside campsite I think it was around 2euros return , and the bus drops you off at the start of the Ramblas far more enjoyable I think :thumb:

Thank you for this, we were looking for something nearer than Vilanova Park which we had to get a bus and train this looks just perfect.
Any one going for the first time I would say don't eat until you have been into the amazing market down the Ramblas, we had eaten and was so disappointed we could not eat in there, this time its on the to do list. Well worth taking the city hop on and off bus.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can guarantee hilldweller will not be pickpocketed in Barcelona. I know this because he has read the Link Removed ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
best not to wear any clothes do the naturist thing try and hide your money up your arse. on thinking about it go to afghanistan.:Smile:much safer.

20p pieces are all right but the CC makes your eyes water.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can guarantee hilldweller will not be pickpocketed in Barcelona. I know this because he has read the Link Removed ::bigsmile:

:Blush: Did in Rome :Blush:

They got nothing but tried hard on the very crowded metro. When we are flustered ( train cancelled, plan gone pear shaped, very hot ) the little grey cells can let us down. Caught off guard. 4 attempts on 3 of us within minutes of getting into the packed train. One eastern European swarthy male and two pretty blond girls who can put their hands in my trouser pockets any time as long as I make sure they are empty first.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks everyone.

I wanted to do it, now it looks essential. Well outside and train in worked a treat in Rome ( Camping Tiber ) so is probably a nicer option for Barcelona, much nicer to have an evening stroll on a pleasant beach rather than listening to lorries all night.

I like the look of......

www.campingbonrepos.com/01_principal.php?lang=EN

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=41.631883,2.718108&spn=0.013584,0.024183&t=h&z=16

Trains are regular every 30 mins and almost always on time. Journey in is about 50 mins but a pleasant trip. Get off at plaza Catalonia and you will right at the top of the rambles. Also tourist office 2 mins from the train stop so you can get a map etc..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Brian...we have just spent 3 nights in Benecasim at Bontera Park:thumb: ....very nice...over run by BRITS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.......a lot better than the one at the bottom of the hill......

Mel

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Oh well we can't have everything.

Wish we were there right now, proper miserable here.

Dunno about that Brian...... bloody freezing here in the wind...:Sad:

Only consolation it is sunny... :Smile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dunno about that Brian...... bloody freezing here in the wind...:Sad:
Only consolation it is sunny... :Smile:

Yes, I only half meant that, an on-line forecast for Valencia showed it well below 10 degrees. There was always a small chance it was wrong. So the bad news is that's what you've got for the next 10 days, with a little warm blip on Tuesday.

You should have all followed Road Runner.

We all should have followed them :Sad:

Janele

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

Theres a lot of Gaudi's work to be seen at Orpesa Del Mar the resort north of Benicassim. Its well worth a visit - a resort built for the spanish - gaudis work is everywhere!

Janele

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Theres a lot of Gaudi's work to be seen at Orpesa Del Mar the resort north of Benicassim. Its well worth a visit - a resort built for the spanish - gaudis work is everywhere!

Attachments

• Opesa Jardin6 (2).JPG
    Opesa Jardin6 (2).JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Opesa Jardin5.JPG
    Opesa Jardin5.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Opesa Jardin6.JPG
    Opesa Jardin6.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Opesa Jardin11.JPG
    Opesa Jardin11.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Opesa Jardin12.JPG
    Opesa Jardin12.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My favourite city

is Barcelona - love Gaudi but there's much more! Don't miss the Miro Foundation - nice walk up the hill, and an excellent building by Josep Lluis Sert. And there is a stunning hospital by Gaudi's contemporary Domenech i Montaner, who also did the Catalan Music Palace - both well worth seeing. You need to stay a week!

Have a great time - I will return eventually!

Best regards

Catherine

PS Used to go to a great restaurant in the Plaza Real (all street lamps & furniture by Gaudi, but watch out for the druggies) - the Quinze Nits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back