Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I spent Christmas in New Zealand this year and I saw a lot of M/Homes that were built on Isuzu base vehicles,mainly luton type conversions.Its a pity that none of the UK converters use these as I would prefer one instead of the Peugeot,Citroen ,Fiat that are commonly use here.
Does anyone know wether Im correct ,and or any comments.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I spent Christmas in New Zealand this year and I saw a lot of M/Homes that were built on Isuzu base vehicles,mainly luton type conversions.Its a pity that none of the UK converters use these as I would prefer one instead of the Peugeot,Citroen ,Fiat that are commonly use here.
Does anyone know wether Im correct ,and or any comments.
the same is true of Australia
they use jap technology
mot many euro base vehicles that far south

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the same is true of Australia
they use jap technology
mot many euro base vehicles that far south
'Tis true.... Australia, NewZealand and South Africa predominantly use Japanese vehicles.
South Africa mainly use Toyota pickups for police vehicles and for some reason VW's are popular.....probably because they are made there :Doh:.

Oz and Newzealand are far closer to Japan than Europe so it makes sense

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i used a mitubishi canter as i saw what they could do in north africa . after i bought mine i found a chassis plate stating it was built in portugal. i have visited the factory there. also there is an even bigger factory in casablanca . have had a tour of that one as well. i think the canter is ideal for m,homes . very lightweight .the 6.5ton is only2700kg as a chassis cab. the 7.5ton is just under 3ton.
mind the new iveco daily is 4ton 2200kg and a new 7ton weighs only2600kg as chassis cab.
havent got spec on the isuzu .
but the canter also do a great 4x4 try a google there are loads of ozzy and newzealand converters on there.
also the toyota dyno do a 7.5ton built in portugal weighing only 2.6ton as ch cab.
they all make good bases for m,homes . maybe in the future we will see them .als alot of chinese trucks are on the way. euro vehicles will possibly shut down soon , remember i told you first.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
While I agree with a lot of what Alan says I cannot see them getting a lot more popular as M/Hs here simply because the engine is in the way for easy access to the rear ::bigsmile: IE you have to climb over it :winky: instead of simply standing up and walking into the rear:winky: Great kit for fivers etc though :thumb:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry you are right but is it really important to walk through .
just thought it could be usefull for some . i find them great little trucks and narrow so that gives the impression of driving a vw t2. even the 7,5ton is only like a small van to drive. but we shall see . they certainly are getting a big foothold in maroc .i reckon 60%of trucks there now are mitsubishi. have fun . get an artic . you know it makes sense . tow a living van and its possible its mot exempt as well .saves a shilling at the moment. unit must be above 3,500kg though. have fun .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi terry you are right but is it really important to walk through .
just thought it could be usefull for some . i find them great little trucks and narrow so that gives the impression of driving a vw t2. even the 7,5ton is only like a small van to drive. but we shall see . they certainly are getting a big foothold in maroc .i reckon 60%of trucks there now are mitsubishi. have fun . get an artic . you know it makes sense . tow a living van and its possible its mot exempt as well .saves a shilling at the moment. unit must be above 3,500kg though. have fun .

Hi Alan,I too think them great trucks :thumb: but I need a walk through or I would spend half my time parked up in lay-bys.Ann needs the loo or fridge every half hour or so ::bigsmile:I have noticed more panel vans being converted with the front cab access being blocked off :Doh: I never understand why they do it,but each to there own.
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Izuzu are part of General Motors, and the light goods Vehicles you have seen are assembled in Trentham, in the Hutt Vally just north of Wellington NZ under licence, after being imported into the country in a C K D form. It's something to do with avoiding import dutys.
Similar thing with Mercedes, the alloy wheels and Front suspension coil springs are made in NZ shipped to Germany, therefore less duty paid because the Merc has "NZ content". Toyota too, (wheels and air filters)

Big Tax avoidence scheme really but it gives employment oppotunitys there.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi must say i built vw`s with walk through but found we hardly ever really used it. plus if you are in the back and keep the front clear .its harder for police etc abroad o say you are camping . we always put a curtain behind the front seats for in stealth mode .found if there is no curtains round the cab we got left alone .
mind so long since i had walk through just dont look for it anymore.
mind in the early days it was a bit rare to have a vw plitscreen van with walk through. many of my early vw,s baywindows didnt have it either.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
hi must say i built vw`s with walk through but found we hardly ever really used it. plus if you are in the back and keep the front clear .its harder for police etc abroad o say you are camping . we always put a curtain behind the front seats for in stealth mode .found if there is no curtains round the cab we got left alone .
mind so long since i had walk through just dont look for it anymore.
mind in the early days it was a bit rare to have a vw plitscreen van with walk through. many of my early vw,s baywindows didnt have it either.
i never close the front curtains on my RV
the bath room door opens back so the rear bedroom is not seen

the MH looks as if it is empty so never get bothered on a night when wild camping or on a stop over :thumb: they can look in and the full living area is empty

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, not so keen on the hiace .think the dyna is a far better vehicle.we dont seem to have the bigger ones here in uk but in portugalthey have up to 7.5ton versions .
plus double and triple cab versions . plus a 4x4 version. that works really well .we were at the factory as the first one came off the line .had the pleasure of testing it on there test ground . if your ever in portugal have a look in olho marinho . the factory is there . very friendly.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I am upset about the above post, I do not know the ins and outs of it, but I would have thought that all of the people on here were above allowing this sort of thing to happen.:Angry:

Trekking4two

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
Canberra Australia
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just beginning
first time

Hi, yes in my former life I was the fleet buyer for a large transport operator in Australia, and we only bought Japanese trucks, mostlt Mitsubishi Canter and Isuzus. These small trucks are absolutely bulletproof, with different drivers ov "variable" skills driving them every day, we had excellent results, Sold them out at 10 years and 500,000kms, and usually with no major repair issues over their life time.
The European product is not readily available, poorly supported usually, and far less reliable than the Japanese trucks.
Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi thats interesting .i do look at some of the australian camper web sites and the off road caravan mags . could do with some of your gear here for maroc trips. my canter is a 6,3 ton fe 649. and it pulls my artic trailer up hill, through rivers and in the desert, etc . did have to have a gearbox the other year but its a great little tool. was a gravediggers tipper i made the artic unit . 4 yrs ago. love some of the 4x4 aussie conversions . nice to hear from you . have fun . cheers alan.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Funny coincidence but I have started a similar thread on Japanese motorhomes recently Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
'Tis true.... Australia, NewZealand and South Africa predominantly use Japanese vehicles.
South Africa mainly use Toyota pickups for police vehicles and for some reason VW's are popular.....probably because they are made there :Doh:.

Oz and Newzealand are far closer to Japan than Europe so it makes sense

yes indeed, when I lived there in the 70s we used Hi Ace vans on the mine and I had a Toyota Stout pick up ..

same as this..
toyota-stout-parts.jpg

tough as old boots .. go anywhere and take all you could throw at it..
I drove 50 miles every day over unmade dirt roads to and from the mine.. never let me down..

I wondered why so few Landys, so I asked around and got the replies that they were too unreliable, basically no one wanted them ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back