Looking for a catalytic heater (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Common as muck they used to be, now as rare as hens teeth..

Looking for a small flue-less type about 300mm wide

Anyone got one they wanna sell ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi i have two ,one is 750wt the other is 800wtboth just under 300mm , one 12ins square the other 10ins square. . all i would say is is that enough they work in a vw . how big do you you want to put it in . my trailer i have 1,7kw . they are old but work . tenner each.
you do see them on some of the caravan leisure stores . thermex arent making them now but others do.
i also have a blue flame thermex . my mate uses one in his truck but not as good as a catalitic . they were cheap though . not for leaving on overnight etc.
try danfast leisure . or pm me if you want more info. 2.8kw and 4.2kw.does have a co ,co2cut out. he finds it works great . i bought one as well ready for my next truck. danfast do other things as well for campers dometic stuff waeco shurflo.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had never seen/heard of these before? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this type of heating?

It looks interesting as a compact heating system instead of a big combi Truma boiler... Are they more efficient than blown air heating? do they use much current on 12v Side?

Lots of questions sorry...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had never seen/heard of these before? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this type of heating?

It looks interesting as a compact heating system instead of a big combi Truma boiler... Are they more efficient than blown air heating? do they use much current on 12v Side?

Lots of questions sorry...

Had them in several caravans.. work on the same prinicipal as a vehicle cat converter

Advantages

* they don't need a flue or any complex installation..
* produce no CO or other noxious gasses
* no naked flame,
* don't use 12v.
* compact.
* silent

They do burn oxygen so small amount of ventilation required

can't really think of a disadvantage .. ideal for off grid camping ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any good for you?
Link Removed
We had one of these in our small boat

Thanks for that Mark... That is the one but I am looking for a second hand one..

Cheers Peter, but that would just look weird nailed to the wall and folk will keep bumping in to it ! :winky:

hi i have two ,one is 750wt the other is 800wtboth just under 300mm , one 12ins square the other 10ins square. . all i would say is is that enough they work in a vw . how big do you you want to put it in . my trailer i have 1,7kw . they are old but work . tenner each.
you do see them on some of the caravan leisure stores . thermex arent making them now but others do.
i also have a blue flame thermex . my mate uses one in his truck but not as good as a catalitic . they were cheap though . not for leaving on overnight etc.
try danfast leisure . or pm me if you want more info. 2.8kw and 4.2kw.does have a co ,co2cut out. he finds it works great . i bought one as well ready for my next truck. danfast do other things as well for campers dometic stuff waeco shurflo.

Yup !!! It is not for use as a main form of heating but just to keep the chill off at night when we are wilding.. Def interested in the 800w one Alan,, can you ship it and how would you like paying ?

Thanks to Jim for replying to Karl.. Appreciate it :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Had them in several caravans.. work on the same prinicipal as a vehicle cat converter

They do burn oxygen so small amount of ventilation required

can't really think of a disadvantage .. ideal for off grid camping ..

Create condensation????
MUST NOT be used without ventilation
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Indeed, and it is due to the huge amount of built in ventilation my bloody van has got that we need the thing !
Considering the van is supposed to be fully winterised and with a 6" a 5 layer floor I have no reason to doubt that, it has vents fitted that you could pass a small bloody cat through ! ( with enough hammer work on said cat and a bit of shoving you understand )

Never had one cause excessive condensation though.... Not saying one wouldn't just own personal experience has never seen it happen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Create condensation????
MUST NOT be used without ventilation
Nigel & Pamala

yes, water vapour is produced.. so does cooking, washing .. breathing

I acknowledged that it needs ventilation.. but you can't live in a van with no ventilation .. (heater or not).. we use o2 and exhale co2 .. same as a cat heater.

The catalytic heater is 100% efficient in converting propane to heat, but since a window must be opened slightly while the heater is in use, to remove water vapor and CO2, and to supply oxygen. Even with the heat loss from the open window, the catalytic heater will use considerably less propane than a conventional propane furnace.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I was talking about them the other day. They are great little heaters but I am not sure they are officially recommended these days though

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hiya jaws ,pm me .i,m sure i can post it .
i use my thermex if in the snow etc when away. yes it can cause condensation . but i prefer the warmth anyway. i used to pick them up years ago in northern spain from the factory . .the two i have here are made in uk or where . i have spoken to the places but they dont make them now . .its abit like instantanious water heaters .i get them in maroc .
i was keeping these two but seems i shant use both . i,m sure this one will suit you..8kw (2700btu hr )butane or propane . made in twyford berks.
these days every thing as gone fancy .
i still have gas lights in the trailer they are great . light heat and help keep mozzies away.
have fun .cheers lan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back