LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have an old TomTom Go500 which has been generally very reliable but is now showing signs of forthcoming problems as touch screen is sometimes not reacting and the built-in battery loses charge very quickly, so it is time for a new one.

As we sometimes pull a toad I have been looking for a satnav that allows for large vehicles but can also adapt to use in a car and as such have seen the TomTom 7100 and the Snooper Ventura.

Does anyone please have any experience or views on either of these or any other makes that could be suitable for use in the UK and on the continent?

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I have an old TomTom Go500 which has been generally very reliable but is now showing signs of forthcoming problems as touch screen is sometimes not reacting and the built-in battery loses charge very quickly, so it is time for a new one.

As we sometimes pull a toad I have been looking for a satnav that allows for large vehicles but can also adapt to use in a car and as such have seen the TomTom 7100 and the Snooper Ventura.

Does anyone please have any experience or views on either of these or any other makes that could be suitable for use in the UK and on the continent?
I got the snooper in 2009 at Lincoln show

I would recommend it
works well a nice big screen
takes the size length and weight of motorhome
keep away from narrow roads low bridges

DTV is a nice extra
doubles up as a cctv monitor

buletooth hands free phone
lots of bits for the money
easy to transfer to another vehicle.

not cheap however i think it is value for money

:thumb::thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have a snooper Ventura S5000. does what it says on the tin! and its great.:thumb:

it has many useful features.:thumb:
i have connected a rear view mini camera too it which is easy and automatically trips to rear view when reverse selected. :thumb:

Dont buy the bottom of the range Ventura:Angry: i did and swapped it within 2 weeks ( got it credited against the S5000 ) no volume, bad GPS aerial and would freeze about once an hour ) may have just had a Friday one!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

I would recommend it

DTV is a nice extra

Thanks for that.......which Snooper model have you got?

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

I would recommend it

DTV is a nice extra

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Tomtom sell these from the on line shop

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just my opinion , best buy at the moment is the TT XXL classic with full European mapping on offer at Tesco for £140 Broken Link Removed

no bells and whistles but does what it says on the box.. and does it well.

If you want you can add your own weight, height and width POIs as I did with my TT One XL when I used it with the RV .. Took me all over Spain, Portugal and France with no problems..

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just my opinion , best buy at the moment is the TT XXL classic with full European mapping on offer at Tesco for £140 Broken Link Removed

no bells and whistles but does what it says on the box.. and does it well.

If you want you can add your own weight, height and width POIs as I did with my TT One XL when I used it with the RV .. Took me all over Spain, Portugal and France with no problems..

Thanks Jim ...looks to be good value

Brian

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m with jim (well, not in the biblical sense::bigsmile:) put your own POI's in, the one i use for work (HGV driver), has height warnings, and "bad spot for lorry" etc etc,....in the trade papers, not a lot of credence is given to "truck friendly" satnav, even if you had one, it aint going to move a badly parked van, an awkward gate, or a stroppy bus driver...save your money.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife got me the Snoooper Ventura s7000 for my birthday last month.

I am pleased with it although I haven't used it a great deal yet.

Has a built in tv which I will probably never use::bigsmile:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Tom Tom

We have the tom tom truck but adapted for caravans/motorcaravans,
I think that is the 7100, its good you can in put size we are nearly 40ft when pulling toad, then alter it for car, and down to walking if you want.
It is expensive, but has a lot of the campsites already input. We have had it for about 16months and are very pleased with it
Peter & Glynis

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
About couple of weeks ago I posted, about updating my Garmin, but it seems you have to pay mega dosh for doing this, does anyone know of an alternative, beside buying a new satnav........Del

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
My old 3.5" Tom Tom One seemed to be getting smaller and less clear when driving my car - well it was about 10 years old! So decided I needed a new satnav that could be used with car and motorhome settings,

My wife says I just need new glasses!!!!

I did the research and in the end for cost and from user friendliness in reviews, I bought the 5" Garmin Dezl 560 ( and dear just to say - it was cheaper than new glasses).

I have used it a couple of times and have found the following:-

1. It is different from the Tomtom.
2. The mapping is clear and it does give the name of the road when turning into a new street.
3. The American method of describing the road number is amusing and for the first few goes - it makes you think!
4. You can add POI's very easily - after going through to the Garmin helpline I find that they do not automatically appear on the screen when you are in the area, but you have to choose them first, and then they will take yo to them.
5. I have not driven down any very narrow roads yet, but the height and twisty road symbols do show when in motorhome mode
6. It is the only "motorhome" specific satnav recommended by both Practical Motorhome and Practical Caravan
7. You can buy for a one off fee (£70) lifetime map updates! It was going to cost me £50 for just one update for the old Tomtom
8. I do however think the Tomtom method of advance route planning is easier, but you would have had to pay an additional £100 to get a similar Tomtom, so I will get used to it.

For the limited time i have used it I think it is good.

Will let you know further after a few trips.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
halfords have on sale tom tom classic xxl inc uk roi & we maps £116.33 and I think £10cash back.

good offers on garmin too

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
word of caution (others may have raised this ). when you buy your new sat nav it will have the maps from the year before it was made ( i.e. made in 2011 but map updates are not available for 2011 until well into 2012 ).:Doh:

so you may buy a new nav thats been on shelf for 6 months and already have 2 year out of date maps that will cost you anything up to £100 ( much less if you are lucky )

so watch out..:thumb:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Just updated my garmin maps today (free first update).

tried it when i first bought it in November but found that it would not download using a wireless router.

Taled to garmin helpline who said the map update lasts for 90 days from purchase. so tried again using an earthnet wire from router to computer and it worked perfectly.

So I now have the latest version of maps

another plus for the garmin.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
some of the halfords garmins have free map upgrades for life?

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
sat nav

just bought a new tom tom via 125 europe on amazon from porter ltd £95.99 plus £4.95 carriage this is not the live version but a cracking bargain, personally didnt want the live version as only use in motorhome and wasnt sure if i would be sent down narrow sidestreets to avoid traffic jams

shrop1

Free Member
Sep 4, 2010
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

I have just purchased one of these on ebay item 260896858777
great 7'' screen and full european maps with free upgrades and everything else included for only £55 uses igo 08 navigation

cheaper than map upgrades for my tomtom

Link Removed

:Smile:

neil

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Hi all

I have just purchased one of these on ebay item 260896858777
great 7'' screen and full european maps with free upgrades and everything else included for only £55 uses igo 08 navigation

cheaper than map upgrades for my tomtom

Link Removed

:Smile:

neil

only uk as stated ????? not going far then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
god new one's dont last,,, im still using my tom tom one and down load maps from bit torrent FREE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i must be a cheep skate ?? but i got all the new updates,,and i still get lost :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Great post for me as we currently own TWO sat navs (one in MH, other in car) and batteries are gone in both!! Expensive to replace and don't fancy doing it ourselves (it's all on Utube re how to do it!) so me thinks a new sat nav is in order:-
Just a question though ~ do your batteries go down after just over a year? (as is the case with one of them!) . Other one we have had for years and it may be that it hasn't been used often enough now. We travel a LOT in the MH but not in the car!
Off out now but will come back and read all your posts ~ thanks!

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Snooper

I use a snooper and it's great. Don't forget to turn off the speed trap warning when abroad, as they are illegal in most countries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back