Heating while driving? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
First time out last weekend with my M/H!.
Loved it, toddlers can now play games and use a loo on the move --no more potty pit stops !!::bigsmile:

I was nice and warm whilst driving, but 3 pasengers were togged up in coats and more.
The draft blasts through where the fridge ventilator grilles are ect.
Is ther a way to have heat on in the rear as the cab heater is not strong enough.
I cannot use gas on the run and i will need a ehu for hot air blower to work
Roll on summer:thumb:

joner

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
not sure what heating system you got mine is truma hot air driven by 12v via leisure battery, a special device can be fitted to allow heating on while on the move (gas shut valve) But have to addmit that I did not have it fitted and was caught out by severe cold weather last winter in Europe, I left the heating on while driving and not had any problem. (probably shot by H&S brigate now )

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You should have been supplied with removable vent covers ! These now need to be replaced ! Otherwise I can suggest nothing....I too have a Scout !:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I left the heating on while driving and not had any problem. (probably shot by H&S brigate now )

When you think about it, the heating should be safe in a gale so what is the difference when driving ?

The thought of toddlers on the lose or loo whilst moving is another matter.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
First time out last weekend with my M/H!.
Loved it, toddlers can now play games and use a loo on the move --no more potty pit stops !!::bigsmile:

I was nice and warm whilst driving, but 3 pasengers were togged up in coats and more.
The draft blasts through where the fridge ventilator grilles are ect.
Is ther a way to have heat on in the rear as the cab heater is not strong enough.
I cannot use gas on the run and i will need a ehu for hot air blower to work
Roll on summer:thumb:

joner

I think unless you have a heating system such as the Aldi which can be used while on the move then the rear of any van can be quite cold at this time of year.
One point that I feel you need to address is the draught entering the van through the fridge vents..........these should only vent behind the fridge which should then be sealed from the interior of your van otherwise carbon monoxide fumes will be drawn inside when you are on site.

Certainly worth checking and make sure you have a working carbon monoxide (CO) detector / alarm fitted.

Good luck & keep warm,

Brian

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at the Truma web site, there is a Truma Monocontrol CS regulator that allows the use of gas whilst the vehicle is moving. This regulator can be retrofitted, it has a sensor in it that shuts the gas off in the event of an accident.:thumb:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
buy a pilote as the heating works off the engines water via 3 air blown radators when moving the whole m/h is too warm,,but the bonus i in the summer cold air too,,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the others make's try to copy but dont get far do they :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
not sure what heating system you got mine is truma hot air driven by 12v via leisure battery, a special device can be fitted to allow heating on while on the move (gas shut valve) But have to addmit that I did not have it fitted and was caught out by severe cold weather last winter in Europe, I left the heating on while driving and not had any problem. (probably shot by H&S brigate now )
Same as:thumb:i leave the heating on while driveing:thumb:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
niggle;543291[HI said:
]buy a pilote as the heating works off the engines [/HI]water via 3 air blown radators when moving the whole m/h is too warm,,but the bonus i in the summer cold air too,,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the others make's try to copy but dont get far do they :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

A Tad expensive just to keep warm:Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
In my rv the front cab heating system is very good and heats the whole length of the rv when traveling
so much so it has to be turned down to half and off in summer

i would get your heating system in the cab checked out you could have a air lock thus stopping the flow of hot water to the internal radiator
or the fan may be running slow and not pushing the airflow hard enough to get the heat in to the van

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The majority of the time the cab heat is sufficient, but if not I run with the heating on no problems.

All the best Rick

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
From Trumas Website;

Is it possible to operate a Truma heater even whilst driving?
Yes. With Combi and Trumatic E heaters, the heating function can be used without a problem whilst driving.
In the case of Trumatic S heaters, however, the heating function can only be used together with a cowl top, which must be installed freely in the air flow. Truma recommends cowl top T3 or cowl tops T1 and T2. Otherwise, the flame may burn back and cause damage to the heater.
Additionally, the cowl top must protrude at least 10 cm beyond any additional roof accessories (roof boxes, ski racks, luggage racks, etc.) so that the heater can function without problems.
You can find out more about safe heating whilst on the move here.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

This should clear up the position:thumb:
Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You cant beat Webasto ,blown air diesel heating. Came fitted with ours.
No cold spots in the van at all , whilst on the move or static. Lovely and warm. Plus you can always get diesel. :thumb:
You can get it fitted , im told , but its not cheap.
PS I doubt the O.P. lets his toddlers have free reign whilst in his van .

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have four yes four erberspacher heaters in my garage 2 12v and 2 24v also great bits of kit, was going to ebay them,but i might fit one of the 12v ones to my van as a backup and ebay the others?:thumb:

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Ive have a special hose fitted between the gas bottle and regulator which allows the heater to operate while travelling. It has a push button at each end which have to be depressed for about 5 secs to allow the gas to flow. The valves close if there is a large gas leak. Ive always believed its unsafe to travel with the gas on unless one of these hoses is fitted.::bigsmile:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Ive have a special hose fitted between the gas bottle and regulator which allows the heater to operate while travelling. It has a push button at each end which have to be depressed for about 5 secs to allow the gas to flow. The valves close if there is a large gas leak. Ive always believed its unsafe to travel with the gas on unless one of these hoses is fitted.::bigsmile:

Its called a secumotion system by Truma

Link Removed
:thumb:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
just a little thing,,, dont think its leagle to run gas in france while moving ??
same with the elec in the rear,,auto trail fit cut out circuit to their vans as from 02 plate,,,i know this as had mine checked by french min of transport in bayer fr ,but they did get one german guy :whatthe::whatthe:

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
Ive have a special hose fitted between the gas bottle and regulator which allows the heater to operate while travelling.

Thought you had the same system as me when i first read the first 7 words.

Ive a special hose fitted between the exhaust and the hab area , keeps the kids both warm AND quiet at the same time

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have the front cab heating, and a separate heater that pushes heat from the engine through the floor vents whilst travelling. Nice and warm throughout.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back