Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
we all have an interest in keeping our motorhomes safe
i had a smart track fitted to my RV value £30K

do you have a tracker system on your motorhome?

if not why not ?
do you think they are too expensive?

what system do use? mine is real time GPS not a directional beep as on some systems

so if the worst happens then the system knows to with in 2metrs where the motorhome is 24/7.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am not disclosing my security to you

I am not disclosing what security I have on my RV.. to many people read this site and everything we put on it ends up on the www within moments.

Bob:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just my tupenthworth ..

That's why we have insurance.

Why pay to do the insurance companies job .. and do you really want it back after the low life scum have used it.. not me.. I'd rather just have a replacement van ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Suggest a good alarm system

I suggest a good alarm system like VanBitz strike back.. plus a thatcham immobiliser ...

Bob

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
we all have an interest in keeping our motorhomes safe
i had a smart track fitted to my RV value £30K

I got a great deal on a 1999 American RV value £28K
paid £20K in 2009

Are these one and the same, a 50% increase in value in less than 3 years....
You should have a go at RBS...............:winky::winky:

Callum..........:RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just my tupenthworth ..

That's why we have insurance.

Why pay to do the insurance companies job .. and do you really want it back after the low life scum have used it.. not me.. I'd rather just have a replacement van ..

That used to be my opinion too. Till I met the full timer who had his van found and was back in it just under 2 hours after it was stolen. They would not have wanted a new van minus belongings. The same would be true if you were on holiday. What would you prefer, your van back in an hour and continue with your holiday, or a train home and a replacement in 6 weeks?

It's not like Motorhomes are stolen for joyriding they will normally look after them during the two hours it takes to get them back; if you have a tracker. I think they are worth having.

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Are these one and the same, a 50% increase in value in less than 3 years....
You should have a go at RBS...............:winky::winky:

Callum..........:RollEyes:
silly man

if i was a typist then hang me out to dry
2 is next to 3 is one not allowed a typing error on here

or are some of you just a little bit too picky :ROFLMAO:

ho i am so glad we stopped public flogging anf the death penalty
some on here would seam eager to use both :thumb::thumb:

chill out callum youl give your self an ulser or a heart condition just chill man :Cool:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
That used to be my opinion too. Till I met the full timer who had his van found and was back in it just under 2 hours after it was stolen. They would not have wanted a new van minus belongings. The same would be true if you were on holiday. What would you prefer, you van back in an hour and continue with your holiday, or a train home and a replacement in 6 weeks?

It's not like Motorhomes are stolen for joyriding they will normally look after them during the two hours it takes to get them back; if you have a tracker. I think they are worth having.
I could not put it any better myself so thank you Jim

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
there are some that will pick holes

silly man

if i was a typist then hang me out to dry
2 is next to 3 is one not allowed a typing error on here

or are some of you just a little bit too picky :ROFLMAO:

ho i am so glad we stopped public flogging anf the death penalty
some on here would seam eager to use both :thumb::thumb:

chill out callum youl give your self an ulser or a heart condition just chill man :Cool:

There are some that pick holes in posts regardless... I suppose it is like picking skin off after sun burn.. gives them pleasure .. typos are a way of lfe... pops meant life.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dont have one but I do store it at a secure site. I now have a Vanbitz alarm fitted and I think the van has an immobiliser.

I will have to think about it some more though.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have two fitted

My RV comes with the Winnebago alarm and a factory fitted immobiliser.. however the UK insurance company wanted a thatch am system.. So Van Bitz fitted a strike back and I paid to have the thatch am immobiliser fitted at the same time. So I have double bubble.

Means I have to use two fobs to get in the RV and then an extra immobiliser for the thatcham ..No one would take it.. takes to long to get into it. .. plus it is blocked in by a trailer which has so many antitheft fittings ..then a car blocking that in.

But I do take the point about a tracker, but I looked at what was on offer and how much I wanted to spend, plus what the insurance company wanted and the discounts they offered.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The more you think about tracking systems, the more they make sense. People don't steal motorhomes to joy ride and trash. They steal them to quickly export them or to sell them on.

Trackers work to locate your motorhome quickly. Given the choice, I would certainly want the chance of having it back in 90 minutes than have to go through all the rigmarole of a claim and replacement and losing everything within.

There are a number of tracking systems, I will send some emails out today or tomorrow and see if we can get a Funsters discount from any of them. I want one. :Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you want to know more about tracking systems, let me know and I can talk you through our ones.

What you have to watch for, is the cheap ones which are useless, and the well known brands that you cannot see if the tracker is even fitted.....yes, I have seen too many from one company without anything fitted!

Look into the tracking fees, and where that tracks the vehicle, look at the yearly fees/life cover option, and see if you can access the information yourself.

To cover yourself for life, UK and Europe, you should pay no more than £650 (including tracker plus tracking fee for time you own vehicle) which is for a thatcham approved, dual tracked system recovery time average 2 hours, tracked within 1 metre, accurate within 30 seconds.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A Tracker system usually knocks a lot off an insurance premium !!:thumb:

Trackstar the system owned by Traffic Master ( the blue camera people) will get discounts up to 30% when installed!

With a high premium it makes the installation from £299 including 1st years monitoring a good deal.

Trackstar is the biggest selling stolen vehicle location system in the UK and actually do the European monitoring for many of the "competitor systems" discussed on this forum:whatthe:

Eddie

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
There are some that pick holes in posts regardless... I suppose it is like picking skin off after sun burn.. gives them pleasure .. typos are a way of lfe... pops meant life.

Bob
I agree with you BOB

the thing is they do not seam to understand that they show them selves up in doing so

maybe they will learn from posts like yours that they are being silly by nit picking at an others post

thank you for your input

Ian

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
TraficMaster trackstar system
has a unit in the van that they can communicate with

i had removed batteries for some service work and so was unsure if the tracking system was working

I phoned the number on the card and gave them my details

in the van i started the engine and a few moments later there was a phone ringing and the person from trackstar was able to talk to me in the van on their system

they can see where the van is any where in Europe.

when stored for long periods or when i am away i can tell them
and if there was any alarm activation they can listen in to what is being said in the van , see where the van is and liaise with the police directly
think they can remotely isolate the immobilizer and stop the van where it is

they can get the van back with in hours of a reported theft

unlike some other systems that only rely on a bleep directional signal

it is a little expense for the cover it gives ok my RV is less than £30K in value some have homes worth £100K

what is yours worth?? it must be worth the £1000.00 to have this level of security
it seams to be a no brainier to me

if the people who have had their motorhome stolen had paid for a system like this they may have saved them selves all the hassle
loss of no claims bonus
loss of use
loss of personal possessions

as i have said on other posts
I have no sympathy for those who cry after the milk has been spilled
or who bolt the stable door after the horse has bolted.

come on people your insurance premiums are going up because the insurance companies are paying out
stop the claim what you can culture it hits every one of us in the pocket year on year

would you not insure your house for its full value in case of fire???

why then do you not secure the biggest cost item next to a house you will ever buy???

if more did have this kind of system fitted the low life good for nothing villeins would end up in jail where they belong

[

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My self build Wagon in which I live is worth £500 tops.

What tracker syrtem for me?

At the moment I rely on an Biological Deterrant System... Anyone gaining entry with theft in mind soon changes that mind on being exposed to the carefully developed internal atmosphere which only the very strong can survive...

JJ

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

At the moment I rely on an Biological Deterrant System... Anyone gaining entry with theft in mind soon changes that mind on being exposed to the carefully developed internal atmosphere which only the very strong can survive...

JJ

As you say it is only worth £500 so you do not need a costly security system

many on here have units worth many thousands of pounds
plus their personal items that are in the unit

it seam to me to be a no brainier not to have an up todate security system fitted to such an expensive item

Ok insurance may pay out but most will pay out far less than the true costs of your motor home.

i would rather get it back in a few hours in tacked and a criminal off the streets than not to see it again and loose my no claims bonus and personal effects

as i said A NO BRAINIER !!!!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
On a (rare for me) serious note... am I right in believing a "Tracker System" locates where your stolen van is but it needs the local police to go and get it?

If, say for example, you were over here and the Portuguese or Spanish police were a bit busy at the time, would they really drop everything and get your motorhome back to you in two hours?

And then do they ever need to keep it for evidence or finger print searching etc?

I have no doubt some people have indeed got their motors back pretty quickly... I just wonder how many and where they were at the time...

I guess people like security systems for the reduced insurance and increased peace of mind...

JJ :Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As you say it is only worth £500 so you do not need a costly security system

many on here have units worth many thousands of pounds
plus their personal items that are in the unit

it seam to me to be a no brainier not to have an up todate security system fitted to such an expensive item

Ok insurance may pay out but most will pay out far less than the true costs of your motor home.

i would rather get it back in a few hours in tacked and a criminal off the streets than not to see it again and loose my no claims bonus and personal effects

as i said A NO BRAINIER !!!!!

Hmmmmm.... not convinced it is a "NO BRAINER" if by that you mean people without a tracker system have no brains! :winky:

I know many people who are very brainy and after weighing up all the pros and cons of their needs DO NOT go for expensive security systems...

Lynn Hughes doesn't have a very expensive system... she has a guard dog (Tilly) and Yosser... enough to deter anyone and very cheap to run... :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I have no doubt some people have indeed got their motors back pretty quickly... I just wonder how many and where they were at the time...

good question so I had a quick Google for some stats .. and after reading this thread I confess that my first response was perhaps a bit hasty and misguided..

If I had a valuable motorhome I would definitely consider it ..

Tracker: the statistics to date
Tracker now has nearly one million security systems installed in vehicles across the UK. Using VHF and GPS technology, its SVR system enables the police to pinpoint a stolen vehicle even if it’s hidden in a container or lock-up.

The underlying VHF technology is in use in 30 countries throughout the world and, to date, is responsible for over 250,000 recoveries of stolen vehicles worth USD$5 billion.

Tracker’s recovery statistics pretty much speak for themselves. Since 1993, Tracker has recovered more than 19,500 stolen vehicles worth a staggering £428 million. Each month, Tracker helps to recover an average £2 million worth of stolen vehicles.

The company’s solutions have also led the police to arrest over 1,950 car thieves.

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?storycode=4125548

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

JJ

I take it then JJ that you would be able to use a hound as a tracker to follow the scent of your van should it get nicked:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I take it then JJ that you would be able to use a hound as a tracker to follow the scent of your van should it get nicked:Eeek:

No need. Just need to find the queue of people waiting for a handout of FB pies ::bigsmile:

More seriously. Our Autoquest had a Thatcham Category 1 alarm on it when we bought it. We replaced that when it went wrong because the fact of the alarm was registered with the insurance company. We didn't have a tracker and I must admit that I hadn't thought about it much.

Apparently the Burstner which we are due to pick up on Friday has both an alarm and tracker fitted. So, I will be forced to think about and understand it :Smile:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hmmmmm.... not convinced it is a "NO BRAINER" if by that you mean people without a tracker system have no brains! :winky:

I know many people who are very brainy and after weighing up all the pros and cons of their needs DO NOT go for expensive security systems...

Lynn Hughes doesn't have a very expensive system... she has a guard dog (Tilly) and Yosser... enough to deter anyone and very cheap to run... :ROFLMAO:

If the cap fits ware it

i do not know who has a brain and who has not
if one is paying many thousands of pounds on one very nice item like a motorhome or a high value car or caravan what ever it is

the cost of a good tracking system is low in percentage terms that it is a no brainier not to have one fitted on purchase

if i have to ask how much is it then i should not have an expensive luxury item like a motorhome

if you try to live beyond ones own means then you will cut corners and come a cropper

all i say is if you have a motorhome that has cost you many thousands of pounds and you do not have a security system that works you have no room to complain when it gets stolen and you end up disadvantaged by your insurer in repayment or time you loose in not having the motor home and loss of no claims bonus and a higher premium

i would rather have a fighting chance of getting my RV back in one piece a few hours after it was taken

do not shoot the messenger you have been warned it does happen
HO it will never happen to me will hold no water when it is you that has lost your most prized possession and can not go away as you may have planned

I do not know lynn hughes
I am sure she is a very nice person what she has or has not is up to her
a dog is a good way to go
what if your not living in your motorhome and the dog is out with you when it gets stolen .... ???
ho that only happens to other people

no need to try and get personal
you are not able to win this argument so i would stop whilst your ahead
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Whoops... Motorhomelover... I hope I haven't upset you with my (mostly) flippant remarks made in a feeble attempt to raise a smile on reading Funsters' faces.

I didn't mean to annoy you...

Sorry...

Comedy is a serious business...

Sadly, I get a little "twinge" when I read things like "Enough said" and, yes I admit it, "No Brainer" because, possibly wrongly, they convey to me the impression that the writer knows he/she is right and anyone with a different standpoint is either foolish or wrong or maybe both...

PS. I did once have my loved motorhome taken from outside the Kennedy Hotel in Euston. It had no alarm and no tracker (no internet in those days) and I did get it back in the same condition as it was when stolen... yes I was lucky... but there always different ways of seeing life...and chossing how to live it...

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Whoops... Motorhomelover... I hope I haven't upset you with my (mostly) flippant remarks made in a feeble attempt to raise a smile on reading Funsters' faces.

Sorry...

Sadly, I get a little "twinge" when I read things like "Enough said" and, yes I admit it, "No Brainer" because, possibly wrongly, they convey to me the impression that the writer knows he/she is right and anyone with a different standpoint is either foolish or wrong or maybe both...

PS. I did once have my loved motorhome taken from outside the Kennedy Hotel in Euston. It had no alarm and no tracker (no internet in those days) and I did get it back in the same condition as it was when stolen... yes I was lucky... but there always different ways of seeing life...and chossing how to live it...

I make no observation as to any one else

my opinion is only an opinion like arse holes we all have one
i take no offense at things said on here
i like to take the opposite view and argue a point even if i do not really agree with the point i argue
it makes for debate

it is good to have open debate on things people learn a lot of information in the toing and throwing of the debate

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Sorry...

Could we possibly fit a tracker to Motorhomelovers sense of humour?

It appears to have gone walkies.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back