Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
ilkeston derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer614 SL
Exp
Hi All

I need some advice on size, we would like a generator that will run microwave,hair dryer,halogen oven,

Thanks

Di:Confused::Confused::Confused:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, google lynton trailers go to the big rigs then on to the majlis section .there is a nice size genny there.
maybe rethink your life style could be easier.
big gennies normally mean lots noise. not a good idea . ok for emergency but only emergency use.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Hi All

I need some advice on size, we would like a generator that will run microwave,hair dryer,halogen oven,

Thanks

Mine does Hyundai had it 3Yrs without problems here it is

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/Hyundai...ping-_boating-_motorhomes-_caravans_etc..html

and this is its next generation brother same in all respects except has remote electric start
Link Removed

not sure its worth the extra for electric start and would question its reliability due to its infrequent use dont think its inbuilt battery will last very long, but thats my opinion
Quite large however, ours travels on a carpet in shower covered with a bath towel. wife cannot lift it , ok for me though.
hope this helps
Regards
Steve:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a 4 kw fitted to our chassis

We have an Onan eke mico-lite 4 kw... Most American RV's have some sort of genny fitted as we have a lot of 110 amp items on board... for example the micro wave draws 1700 watts at start up... the air conditioner also draws a lot of juice.

The advantages are we can watch a mains TV any size.. currently I have a 26" in the RV .. run a mains DVD player and charge my batteries via the Sterling 1500 watt inverter/ charger.

It uses about 3.4 gallon of fuel an hour on full load.. and it is not as quite as some of the more modern stand alone units .. but I do have a lot more power on tap if I need it. it is a case of deciding what you need the genny for.

I charge two scooters at shows, and I know I can charge my domestic batteries and use anything else I want to.. but ten I have to think about the microwave and air-con being on at the same time.

A lot of motorhome owners seem to go for the 2kw Honda.. I know one RV own has a 2kw remote start as well as his much bigger RV genny and uses that to charge is power wheelchair..

Bob

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Blackpool watch out !!

Have you ever been to a fairground and seen their Gennies on trailers ?????
Well.....That's what you need for all of the leccy you intend to consume !
There might just be a bit left over for street lighting as well !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you should see the fifth wheel on the lynton site .i think its big enough .hee hee
might make some faigrounds jealous.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
I nearly bought today

I decided it was time to buy a gaslow kit for my van today. I did all the normal stuff of comparing prices for two hours on the net and when i finally decided to use the supplier who is offering a discount to funsters i was told by a member of staff that the prices on the internet were not right and he quoted me from the FEBURARY price list. So can any body answer me this
1 What month are we in
2 Is this a discount offer or just a teaser
3 Is this legal
This supplier knows who he is and i shall wait to see the outcome of this[ you do have my number] and if you do not realise who you are i do not think i shall bother to buy from you .

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I decided it was time to buy a gaslow kit for my van today. I did all the normal stuff of comparing prices for two hours on the net and when i finally decided to use the supplier who is offering a discount to funsters i was told by a member of staff that the prices on the internet were not right and he quoted me from the FEBURARY price list. So can any body answer me this
1 What month are we in
3 Is this legal
This supplier knows who he is and i shall wait to see the outcome of this[ you do have my number] and if you do not realise who you are i do not think i shall bother to buy from you .

in answer to question 1 its still January so wait a few days and it will then be FEBRUARY
internet traders update their sites towards the end of the month although some don't update until the next month and some just never seem to bother at all.
there will no doubt on the website be a quote stating "CALL FOR UP TO DATE PRICES" and you probably haven't seen it.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Thanks for that but it does say retail price list feb 2011. I have checked and they have just changed there prices on the site.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Wow, 14 posts and this thread hasn't turned into the usual Honda v Kippor tirade.

I'm well impressed.

Peter

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
Hi All

Thanks

check what your highest rated device is ;i.e is the microwave oven a 650watt or 900watt , and do the same for each device you want to use.
I run an old honda ex1000 ( 22 years old now). its only 1000watts, but it happily runs a 900watt hoover or a 700watt microwave.
only 1 item at a time though .

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Iv'e just bought a Clarke IG1000 1kW Inverter Generator it's a Honda copy, it's quiet and happily runs Erindoor's hair dryer ( I was told it would't ! ) as well as the on board charger etc. Very good machine for what it costs.

Link Removed

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
1 What month are we in
3 Is this legal
Just returned from Brownhills NE today after having an additional Gaslow 11kg cylinder fitted to the van, but noticed a special offer leaflet from Gaslow whilst I was there which offered a 11kg cyl, 6kg cyl + all hoses and fittings for I think it was £439 so long as it was fitted during January.
Geoff.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Dedward go for biggest you can get don't go for the £1200 Honda because someone has told you to get a really quite one so as not to upset anyone.Go for a £50 job if you can find one cus believe me some folk will walk for miles to find you and moan.The really bad ones are them that moan simply because they have not got one they sit with candles with the wind up radio eating tins of beans they have carried from home and the woman is moaning she is missing East Enders and he is strolling round looking to find someone to piss off.I once arrived at 5pm at a massive free camp about 60 vans parked for the night.I decided to go to far end of parking about 90 yards from main body of vans, the only other van a Dutch man was about 80 yards back,straight away put 2 kwh Honda on put chicken in ping and set up for night.Ping was set on 30 min timer to cook chicken after 6 mins Dutch man races van parkinging on cable ranting and raving ,not worth following my normal cause of action and informing my neighbours that we would be cooking fot 30 mins then Genny would be turned off told this man to GO AWAY.HE LEFT.I wached him park up and start waving arms about so off i walked to have a word ,when i stood at the side of his van it was deafening 30 yards the other side of the fence behind him was a genny as big as a London Bus supplying power to a massive building site, i just informed him he really did need to see a doctor.The moral consider others but do not be dictated to and before all and sundry start i would soon sort that genny out, fine but if you do not wish to hear Engines don't camp in car parks.StaySafe:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi becareful though as a 900watt oven isnt really 900watts in this case thats its output .it may take 1400 watts . if looking always take its input required . also gennies say they are 2kw .but sometimes are only 2kw on a 110 v system for 20mins .constant on 240v can be as little as 1500wt . please read all the bits .also some badge the motor as a 2kw but the actual alernator bit will be alot less . it can be a mine field out there.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We had a 1 kva Hyundi but it would not run the Microwave or the Aircon so sold that and bought a 2eui Honda runs the Microwave happily or the Aircon and will happily charge our batteries thought the Sterling charger on tickover so makes very little noise - if anyone want to complain about that running they are being pedantic and really ought to be parked somewhere else:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - I usually use a windbreak and a top cover to deflect what little sound there is away from neighbours:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i find it quite amusing that alot of the anti-generator brigade will come and tie into your generator when their batteries are flat.

i have addressed my battery situation and uprated from 80ah to 310ah so it should give a few days off the mains.
however i do still have 2 generators mostly unused but there are times when you just cant manage without one for example..

lots of air-con units are around 2000watts and as such are mains only, ok so you can run them off an inverter off your battery banks but most motorhomes haven't got the spare weight for a large inverter and the size of battery bank required to run it for more than a couple of hours. whereas your generator will probably weigh less and will run it until it runs out of fuel.
when skiing in winter solar panels won't keep up as there isn't enough light in the day.

ok so you can run your engine but its cheaper to run a generator.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi All

:

There's a nice 1000W+ genny under your bonnet when combined with a decent battery and inverter!:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you choose (as I often do) to park your motorhome "off site" you are opting for freedom from regulation... If you want to use your genny, you are, imo, perfectly in your rights to do so...

If a motorhome parks next to me and runs a genny, I will moan and moan and maybe post a video of the selfishness (if early in the morning) on my blog... but the knowledge that I can always move somewhere else eases my frustration and Metallica played over four speakers and a sub woofer drowns out any genny if I so choose... :ROFLMAO:

I think the moaning motorhomer in this story was bang out of order...

JJ :Cool:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
If you choose (as I often do) to park your motorhome "off site" you are opting for freedom from regulation... If you want to use your genny, you are, imo, perfectly in your rights to do so...

If a motorhome parks next to me and runs a genny, I will moan and moan and maybe post a video of the selfishness (if early in the morning) on my blog... but the knowledge that I can always move somewhere else eases my frustration and Metallica played over four speakers and a sub woofer drowns out any genny if I so choose... :ROFLMAO:

I think the moaning motorhomer in this story was bang out of order...

JJ :Cool:
forgot to tell you JJ!
i have made a recording of my 12v gennie running,and put it on cd so i will bring you a copy to marjal:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
thats the best i can do as i have a baggage limit on the plane:RollEyes:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
it's not quite as simple as 'how many Kw do I want'--------you must also consider the running cost and WEIGHT------we used to have a 3Kw, it was very heavy/large and thirsty------99% of the time all it was doing was charging the battery-------so we replaced it with a 1Kw----it is smaller/lighter and runs on VERY LITTLE petrol we can't run m/wave or A/C but we rarely did anyway, I would think you could run the M/wave through an inverter with decent batteries ?????? (for short spells)
Nigel & Pamala

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
But it wont run the things you want to run !!

And the big diesel lump driving it needs a lot more maintenace than a portable generator.:thumb:

It depends how good your batteries are!

We can run a hairdryer and an iron for quite a long period if necessary without needing to recharge. The point I am making is that the batteries will soon recharge again if required.

Allowing for the drop in battery capacity due to rapid discharge, our battery bank and inverter will run a 1000w device for approx 1 hour without any topping up from the battery.

This is not the full story though. A halogen oven, for instance is rated at around 1300w. It will not be constantly drawing this power because, once up to temperature, the current through the element will drop surely?

An iron only draws current when the little red light comes on!

I reckon a bit of trial and error is the only way to solve this discussion!

-Anyone got a halogen oven we can try?????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back