Nemesis wheel clamp-not so good! (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The other day I bought a new wheel clamp- a Nemesis made by full stop.
The instructions were that it fits any wheel between a 10 and 20 inches....Rubbish!
What the guide forgets to mention is that if you have a higher profile tyre (70 in my case as i'm sure is with most motorhomes) it does not fit. :Doh:

The trouble is you can be fooled into thinking it is well fitted but I managed to remove it in 5 seconds without the aid of any tools or excessive force.
Glad to say i got a full refund and have chosen a more suitable clamp from another supplier. I know a lot of you will be thinking 'no clamp is fool proof' and I am the first to accept that, but 5 seconds! :Eeek:
If anybody has one and wants to know how to put it through it paces I will gladly answer through a PM.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
A good alarm system is far better than a clamp

The instructions were that it fits any wheel between a 10 and 20 inches....Rubbish!
What the guide forgets to mention is that if you have a higher profile tyre (70 in my case as i'm sure is with most motorhomes) it does not fit. :Doh:

The trouble is you can be fooled into thinking it is well fitted but I managed to remove it in 5 seconds without the aid of any tools or excessive force.
Glad to say i got a full refund and have chosen a more suitable clamp from another supplier. I know a lot of you will be thinking 'no clamp is fool proof' and I am the first to accept that, but 5 seconds! :Eeek:
If anybody has one and wants to know how to put it through it paces I will gladly answer through a PM.

I would suggest a serious RV alarm system.. far better than any clamp. I only have a clamp on my trailer which is a straight bar type.... but that has a few other security devices like it is connected tot he Strikeback alarm on my RV by the take off supplied plus various chains etc., But a wheel clamp on it's own is not enough.

Thanks for the information I am sure it will be helpful to many

Bob

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I would suggest a serious RV alarm system.. far better than any clamp. I only have a clamp on my trailer which is a straight bar type.... but that has a few other security devices like it is connected tot he Strikeback alarm on my RV by the take off supplied plus various chains etc., But a wheel clamp on it's own is not enough.

Bob

Couldn't agree more. I have what I consider to be a good alarm, in fact i think it would bother me more if it was broken into and trashed than if it were stolen altogether. (if that makes sense!) My main aim at the moment is defending it from a break-in when the misses and me are in it.

Anyway, my new wheel clamp arrived today, it's a Bulldog Centaur for commercial vehicles. It is much more robust than the Nemesis and it fits like a glove. (I guess you get what you pay for in the end).

I have fitted it to the back wheel where it is much less intrusive to passers by and it will be much harder for potential thieves as it is well recessed into the wheel arch. Also it takes away the option to raise the front and tow it away...(opinions welcome).

Emmenay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Bob

Whilst I agree with you Bob most Insurance companies seem to insist on a wheel clamp as a condition of insurance over and above trackers and internal alarms - when I challenged that their answer was that most factory fitted alarms and trackers are easilly overcome or blocked but a wheel clamp is a visual deterent which will stop the casual theif - interestingly on Utube or one of those my son in law was watching a video of theives nicking a caravan today - 10.06 seconds from pulling on the driveway to driving off with the caravan attached - the security fitted was a wheel clamp - a hitch lock - a locked security post concreted in the drive and an internal alarm. There were 3 of them and they pulled on the drive while one went and tried the house to ensure no one was in. Immediately he came back all three started work - it was all captured on CCTV - they did not bother to cover their faces and the police have no clue and it would appear no interest in it. The caravan appears never to have been recovered either :Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have fitted it to the back wheel where it is much less intrusive to passers by and it will be much harder for potential thieves as it is well recessed into the wheel arch. Also it takes away the option to raise the front and tow it away...(opinions welcome).

Emmenay.

just put a note on the steering wheel or its box on the drivers seat as in time you may forget you have fitted it and more so if you don't walk past it to get into the van.

its all too easy to do things like this.
the amount of people that have set off from being on site with rear steadies down ( yes i did this once ) and occasionally some have set off only to find that their hook up lead is still plugged into the sites post.
just make sure that no matter what distracts you, you cannot get into the motorhome and set off without taking this off.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012

Can you tell me what make / model you bought and does it do the job?
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back