LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Never been always been skint or something else on. So this year we are going for the full five days in the RV. What can i expect good and bad if any from those that have been before. :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've been about 5 times and love it.
Its a music festival so the highlight is on live bands.
Lots of other things happening cars bikes trucks dancing.
Plenty of bars and food stalls, if the weather is good you'll have a great time.
Did hear some complaints last year that a bunch of gypsies turned up and caused a lot of trouble, but we were'nt there so don't know how true this is.
You'll see some really strange characters there but always been a really nice atmosphere when we've gone, biggest problem is usually the poxy weather, I think it's been torrential rain 3 times out of 5.
Hope you have a great time:thumb::thumb:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
We used to love this show and always went.
Went for a couple of days last year and we will give it a miss this time.
You will get lots of good and bad reports.
Go on RVOC and search Americana threads as that may help.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Always fancied it BUT the cost to high

I have always fancied it, but watching the costs over the past few years does not work for me.

Plus heard lots of bad reports last year from those members of the RVOC that went.. Also like all events the weather can make or break it.

Malvern is a good show in August.. especially with the MHF section, get a fair number of RV's in our group and the show is all billed as An American show.. certainly large numbers turn up.. 5000 motorhomes and the country music is very good and in several halls each night.
Worth looking it up and see whats on offer.. plus.. it is a lot lot cheaper.

Bob

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have always fancied it, but watching the costs over the past few years does not work for me.

Plus heard lots of bad reports last year from those members of the RVOC that went.. Also like all events the weather can make or break it.

Malvern is a good show in August.. especially with the MHF section, get a fair number of RV's in our group and the show is all billed as An American show.. certainly large numbers turn up.. 5000 motorhomes and the country music is very good and in several halls each night.
Worth looking it up and see whats on offer.. plus.. it is a lot lot cheaper.

Bob

Yeah but the Americana is a different thing it is a music festival, Malvern is a motorhome show. Americana has 2 outdoor stages with live acts performing from about 10.30am til midnight non stop plus a couple more indoor stages. It is expensive compared to a motorhome show but all those acts have to be paid. I saw someone complain on a forum once that the Americana was spoilt by all the loud music :Eeek::Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never been[HI] always been skint [/HI]or something else on. So this year we are going for the full five days in the RV.[HI] What can i expect [/HI]good and bad if any from those that have been before. :thumb:

more skint ...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We have been once and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The only thing that has ever prevented us from going again is the cost and how it always seems to fall around when we are due to go on holiday. :Smile:

The year we went we had torrential rain but it didn't once dampen the spirits. Took a load of kids with us whom also had a ball.
It's not like a motorhome show at all, it is what I can only describe as a Music festival and a celebration of all things American.
if you love anything American or can apprieciate the effort put in to the maintaining of some of the stuff that turns up there, then you wont be dissapointed. :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
It is surprising how many people me included have echoed Pete & Shirls sentiment and giving it a miss this year.......and not just down to cost.....though as others have said there is now comparison between Malvern and Americana two totally different weekends.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Cheers guys
We are into hot rods, american cars, etc and i do like the burlesque dancers myself and the variety of music so looks like we will have a good time. Hope so as its our main holiday this year. Just hope the sun is out. Will let you know what we think about it after we have been. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
as others have said there is now comparison between Malvern and Americana two totally different weekends.

All the best Rick

Sorry Rick, having been too both I just can't see it anyhting like each other. One has all of America brought to the UK, in terms of cars, music, rockerbilly bands, motorcycles, trucks american stalls 3 or 4 huge stages with quality bands, line dancing, jazzed up hot rods and pick ups a load of people wishing they were Americans (or even thinking they are) in denim, people from the age of 0-100 with many being in the 20s & 30s drinking beer and having a good laugh.

The other has mainly european motorhomes, mainly grumpy old gits in their late 50s and 60's moaning about the spec of brittish motorhomes and the amount of Kids about, althought there's only 10 in the whole place. a few dressed in cowboy gear shooting off pretend guns and a few others pretending to be Indians (those were the best for me, we thought they were great)

They are, I believe, worlds and worlds apart....

give me the americana anyday over malvern.

My opinion of course and as said we have done both. :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yes its expensive but how much would you pay to see some of the bands on their own.

I love it.........

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry Rick, having been too both I just can't see it anyhting like each other. One has all of America brought to the UK, in terms of cars, music, rockerbilly bands, motorcycles, trucks american stalls 3 or 4 huge stages with quality bands, line dancing, jazzed up hot rods and pick ups a load of people wishing they were Americans (or even thinking they are) in denim, people from the age of 0-100 with many being in the 20s & 30s drinking beer and having a good laugh.

The other has mainly european motorhomes, mainly grumpy old gits in their late 50s and 60's moaning about the spec of brittish motorhomes and the amount of Kids about, althought there's only 10 in the whole place. a few dressed in cowboy gear shooting off pretend guns and a few others pretending to be Indians (those were the best for me, we thought they were great)

Paul, I think Rick agrees with you, and the W is not supposed to be there::bigsmile:

though as others have said there is no[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE] comparison between Malvern and Americana two totally different weekends.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
As Paul has said, the Americana and the Malvern Show are two completely differing events. We have been to both and have enjoyed both, Pam prefers the Malvern Show, I prefer Americana. However at £210 for the weekend and with no headline act as yet, we will be giving Americana a miss this year. I am sure that those who do go will have a great time as we have in the past.

Brisey.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
we have attended americana for the last 4 years,the first 3yrs were brilliant,last year was a very expensive let down.there was no atmosphere,far fewer traders, less exhibitors and to cap it all on the saturday and sunday the place was overrun with Itinerants:Eeek:many having no wristbands and just there to see what they could lift and cause trouble.there was a lot of unease there which made for what we felt was an unpleasant weekend.when you take into account the cost of the tickets for 3 persons,the fuel,and spending money it very soon becomes a £700.00 weekend:Eeek:we are definately not attending this year.
brian jo and josh

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
we have attended americana for the last 4 years,the first 3yrs were brilliant,last year was a very expensive let down.there was no atmosphere,far fewer traders, less exhibitors and to cap it all on the saturday and sunday the place was overrun with Itinerants:Eeek:many having no wristbands and just there to see what they could lift and cause trouble.there was a lot of unease there which made for what we felt was an unpleasant weekend.when you take into account the cost of the tickets for 3 persons,the fuel,and spending money it very soon becomes a £700.00 weekend:Eeek:we are definately not attending this year.
brian jo and josh

Im sure after that experience you wouldn't want too, however its one of how many years? was it the 30th anniversary recently?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're giving Americana a miss this year and doing this one instead, still a music festival though. http://www.twinwoodevents.com/ its known as The Glenn Miller Festival.:thumb::thumb:
Never been before but know quite a few that have and they all say its one of the best.
All ready booked in.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
brian jo and josh

sounds a bit like OWESTRY then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Oh, you lucky people::bigsmile:, with all these shows to choose from...! Try being in N.Ireland and putting a ferry fare on top of any costs to any worthwhile events...:cry:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
As Paul has said, the Americana and the Malvern Show are two completely differing events. We have been to both and have enjoyed both, Pam prefers the Malvern Show, I prefer Americana. However at £210 for the weekend and with no headline act as yet, we will be giving Americana a miss this year. I am sure that those who do go will have a great time as we have in the past.

Brisey.
£210 ouch

I would not pay that for a weekend stay no matter how good people reported it was last year
it is an obscene amount of money

ho well some people obviously have more money than sense.

what is the old adage ? "ho yes"

"A fool and his money are easy to part with"

most of us could have several weekends away for that sort of money

Americana sorry i will not attend this year or any other year at those kind of prices.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Sorry Paul miss typed I 100% agree with you my post should have read There is NO comparison. I was in fact pointing out I enjoy both in their own right. Thanks for correcting me :Blush:

All the best Rick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is horses for courses

I think it is a case of what sort of show you want to go to.

Malvern is a good all-round show which has a lot of evening entrainment (Country based) and does not cost silly money to go to. Even adding fuel, and I live a fair way from the show it is far fear cheaper than a lot of shows mentioned. So for me it is good value.

I do go and see Acts I want to see when they are in the UK... have been known to travel to Cardiff to see Willie Nelson. but I think that some organisers just lose touch with the situation this days where people (well some of us) have to consider what we spend for a weekend. I am not talking about just motorhome type shows.. but shows in general.

If I wanted to see a certain Act then I might be prepared to pay to do so... but given the way costs have gone up at Americana over the past few years and the reports from those that attended means it is off my must do list.

But it is down to the person what they want to do with there bucks...

As I said I love Malvern and really look forward to it..... just my view on that show.. others will have other views which they are entitled to. What ever and long as you enjoy yourself.

Bob

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
£210 ouch

I would not pay that for a weekend stay no matter how good people reported it was last year

See I can only repet what one funster said a while ago, think it was Eddie VB,,,

its only a lot of money if you haven't got it. :RollEyes:

To some the thought of paying £10 for a show would be too much, for others £1000 would be too much....:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
See I can only repet what one funster said a while ago, think it was Eddie VB,,,

its only a lot of money if you haven't got it. :RollEyes:

To some the thought of paying £10 for a show would be too much, for others £1000 would be too much....:thumb:
not so dear boy:Doh:
i know a builder and jim know's who im on about thats got more money than he could ever spend he is now well into his 80's and sit's on at a rough estimate of £10 million,and has lived his whole life like a poor man.true:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
£210 ouch

Americana sorry i will not attend this year or any other year at those kind of prices.

Strange comment from someone who drives a gas guzzling RV ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
us yank owners need the money for the fuel - simples

it is very simple really.. we need the money for the fuel we need... simples as they say.

Bob

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
not so dear boy:Doh:
i know a builder and jim know's who im on about thats got more money than he could ever spend he is now well into his 80's and sit's on at a rough estimate of £10 million,and has lived his whole life like a poor man.true:thumb:

I've told you before :Angry: stop posting about my dad on here :Cool:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
up to the last couple of years we have been to the Americana since the 1980's and have always enjoyed them.

Now they have changed things mixing the bands up it is sometimes awkward to see a band as some clash. We have seen half the time on the Country Stage then run down the fields to see another band elsewhere.

We used to enjoy the old format better but the only reason we have not been recently other than for a day is medical.

Think Chris & Bev do a great job there must be so much to organise and run.

Malvern I love too but unable to go since they moved the dates as it clashes with the set up time for Copper Kettle Festival at Sledmere.

Just heard Gene Watson has been confirimed along with our own C'est la Vie.

Last edited:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
£210 ouch

It is all relative; when you consider there are thirty odd bands, as well as other entertainment so is a very cheap weekend.
If like me, live the Rockabilly life (same for country fans) the amount of money asked to see these bands is value for money, where else could you see this many bands for 90 quid over several days?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back