Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Wife is worried when we go to France that she will be gassed iv told her shes more chance of being gassed if i drop one so can any one recommend one just to keep her happy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As you haven't had a sensible reply.

I cant remember where I got mine. It is really sold for mains operation but if you cut off the transformer it runs fine on 12v. I have connected mine in the water pump circuit so more likely to turn it off when van is stored, though this may not suit you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Try the Omnitron Gas alarm does LPG, [HI]Knockout gasses Coal gas and Carbon monoxide. [/HI]www.omnitron.co.uk
[HI][/HI]or a Waeco alarm both are good :thumb:

But.......does it do the special Yosser patented Duvet Raiser and trouser inflator....

.............................That's the real measure of a gas detector.
:ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I bought a carbon monoxide alarm from Lloyds Chemists website - I think it cost me £10

Which use in the van, I think Carbon monoxide poisoning is more of a danger than the "spanish gas attack"

cheers

bob

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
There was an article on motorhomefun magazine that says that there is absolutely no evidence that gassing exists and this was supported by the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
Cheers.
Paul

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a case of someone knowing someone again

It is a case of knowing someone that knows someone that was robbed while they were asleep using the gas... yea right.

Having a sensor for carbon monoxide is important.. We have so many alarms in our winnebago.. the carbon monoxide is main wired in to the 12 v system and is live all the time.. it even goes off with the fumes from the Bessil carpet cleaner.... the generator exhaust has been know to come back in the cab before we had a Venturi fitted and now and then go over the roof and feed back in tot he RV via one of the roof vents... got over that with a working Fantastic fan that draws air from a side window and up and out of the RV via the roof...

But never meet anyone in all my travels who has been a victim of a gas attack other than me when Ezzie lets go in the RV.. boy that is bad, real bad...

Bob:Cool:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree but i guess its as much about feeling safe as needing the detector in reality:thumb: which make my other half feel safer:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But never meet anyone in all my travels who has been a victim of a gas attack

Bob:Cool:

nor I Bob ... nor have I met a mass murderer...

you must recall Frankie's post when she asked a group of French Police..

Third question : Gassing

I am afraid i have to tell you something you won't like : It does happen !

They are mainly southern policemen and so are used to see people gassed in south-east. They told me that most motorhomers being gassed are around Antibes, Nice, Monaco, Marseilles.

The gangs come from eastern Europe: They are from "Ukraine", "Pologne" etc.... They already got gangs in action. They told me that this was still in a rather low % and never saw this happen elsewhere than in eastern parts of France.

Again, proves nothing ... except they believe it happens.. but why would they lie.. ?

Do I worry.. No, did I have or will I get an alarm , No ... but as already said.. if it allays fear that has to be a good thing ..

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
At the risk of hijacking the thread (my apologies to Yosser if this happens) has anyone who has an alarm fitted ever had it go off in the night when on a foreign campsite or aire? Come to that has anyone who has a narcotic gas alarm ever had it go off at all? If so under what circumstances?

D.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I read recently, an article by a HGV insurers body, who stated that they had NEVER been furnished with any PROOF that a trucker had ever been gassed. Loads of secondhand stories, a few loads "dissapeared" but no proof.
Like you, I would say your wife is more at threat from your emmisssions, than from the mad scientist who can see through your MH to know exactly how much dental gas to pump into the space he has calculated is there, that will JUST make you sleep and NEVER (never reported in twenty years) killed you.He will also be clever enough to know that you ARE carrying cash, DO have a load of gear worth having, DO NOT have an inrtuder alarm or interior dead locks, and wont fancy a fight. Yoiu would think, that someone this clever, would be able to find other employment, instead of lurking in laybys waiting for us? See here.....................PLEASE NOTE, TRUCKERS WEBSITE.
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61149

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Dave. i had a gas alarm fitted on my last van and it did alarm on one occassion...... but during the day as i opened the gas locker with the hab door open.

there was a leak at one of the cyliner hoses.

but not sure that qualifies:thumb:

Ian37

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Picked a carbon monoxide alarm up yesterday £10 ASDA :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
use the standard robber deterrent

a picture of the mother in law in all the windows

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a gas detector (low down) in order to warn of gas leaks, never thought of it for gas attacks though. Apparently they will detect intestinal gas as someone posted that their dog slept next to it and they had a lot of alarms. Mine is at floor level next to Shirleys seat so I will know who to blame.:roflmto:

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I can not believe the so-called funny comments in regards to whether gassing takes place or not. People try to post advice on this site to help fellow members and face a barrage of comments that counteract the advice they are trying to give.
These are the facts:
Gassing does happen. (I know from personal experience) The first thing the french police asked me "were you gassed?". Why would they ask me if it doesn't happen?
The french route down to Spain via Montpellier is a very well known hot-spot for this type of attack.
For all your doubters on here - just google Knockout gas and read what the foeign office and other organisations say about it.
I don't want to put a damper on things, but hey can we be a little more constructive.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The French police are just looking for easy case closure and the biggest culprits of attributing any robbery to this. I am another disbeliever the evidence against outweighs the possibility.

How would they measure the amount of gas to put you out without risking killing you

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well you have picked on a thread that is over five years old, as regards gassing, I would assume the French Police were asking very tongue in cheek if you were gassed. All they want is closure.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The original post for this thread was dated January 2012. Who the hell dug this up again? In addition the OP has been banned from the forum.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wife is worried when we go to France that she will be gassed iv told her shes more chance of being gassed if i drop one so can any one recommend one just to keep her happy
A canary, it worked for the welsh miners so it should work in a motorhome...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back