Hello from Southern California... (1 Viewer)

C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
As some of us here in the states say, howdy! My thanks to John, aka Road Runner, for inviting us over from the RV Forum . I work with a couple of British citizens and they are my favorite co-workers so I'm pleased to join you here.

I'm a radio news announcer in Los Angeles. 56 years old, married, father of two sons, grandfather of two grandsons. My wife and I have been road warriors for many years in a truck camper but this past October we bought a brand new, 2008 Class A Sea Breeze. Two weeks later the manufacturer, National RV, went bankrupt and took my warranty with it. Ah, well. We love the rig and are happy we have it.

Sorry to be so verbose but the instructions do say "don't be shy." >:)

Dave in L.A.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Dave in LA.....great to have you on board! :thumb:

Hows the weather over there? A great deal warmer than here I reckon :roflmto:

We spend a lot of time in the States on business and for pleasure (LA and San Deigo), we love it over there to the point that we have taken advantage of the cheap property prices :winky:

Our last trip out was in October, just as the fires hit.....what an eye opener that was....hope they didn't affect you :whatthe:

National Sea Breeze eh? VERY nice coach! Am I jealous????? You bet! >:)

Hope you pop in again - I need my regular fix of news from the West Coast :roflmto:

Regards
Linda

I just noticed the time......you're up early! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
Yes, I'm up early. I get up at 2AM and am on the air 5-9AM. It's 6:47AM right now. Almost halfway through my shift. >:) Weather here is partly cloudy, had a lot of rain over the weekend but we'll be back to our boring sunshine and warm temperatures for the weekend.

Dazzer, nice rig! What do you suppose would be the shipping costs? :Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi. Why thankyou!!! It cost me about $5k to ship it. Then of course there the 10% import tax and the 17.5% VAT on top of the RV, shipping insurance, and import tax!!

Its great living here in the UK Our petrol is only US$8.50 per gallon. Bargain!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Dave and welcome to our Fun Forum,
Dazzer where you buying petrol at £4.25 a gallon its $10 dollars a gallon to my reckoning:Eeek: and the US Rvers are thinking it's expensive at nearly $4.00
Go on Dave realy make my day, what is your local price per Gall of the gold stuff in LA:ROFLMAO:
Geo:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Geo.

The maths go like this

3.8 ltrs to a US gallon

£ 1.10ish per ltr = £ 4.18 ish for 3.8ltrs

Approx US$2 to a UK£ = about US$8.50ish:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So they have the biggest engines and the smallest gallons, why dont they use UK gallons then there vehicles would be more economical Or havent I quite got it:ROFLMAO:
Geo

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hello LA Dave

Nice to see you this side of the pond. :thumb:

Paul (UK-RV)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Dave so glad you found you way onto our board. Please don't be a stranger and I wont be on your superb board.

You'll need to get used to our strange sense of humour:RollEyes::winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

This board RV Forum is very useful for RV questions and generally get a speedy and helpful reply:thumb:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
warm welcome

Hi. Why thankyou!!! It cost me about $5k to ship it. Then of course there the 10% import tax and the 17.5% VAT on top of the RV, shipping insurance, and import tax!!

Its great living here in the UK Our petrol is only US$8.50 per gallon. Bargain!!!

Hi Dave and welcome to our Fun Forum,
Dazzer where you buying petrol at £4.25 a gallon its $10 dollars a gallon to my reckoning:Eeek: and the US Rvers are thinking it's expensive at nearly $4.00
Go on Dave realy make my day, what is your local price per Gall of the gold stuff in LA:ROFLMAO:
Geo:thumb:

welcome to our super fun club, sure you will enjoy it, lots of friendly people,
hey some friends of us all jan & rory are in usa looking at buying an rv can you mention them on your show? if they hear it they will be very surprised:Smile:
we hope to come over and do the same in 2009 so keepin touch:thumb:

ruth

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Dave
Welcome to our community joined the RV Forum some time ago nice folks very helpful tell Tom (aadmin) hello for me
We intend to visit the USA next year but this time we come in peace :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
Okay, you got me, gang. I live in a place where gas is much cheaper. I suppose I should be ashamed of it but I can't help it and try as I might the gas stations won't allow me to pay twice as much to relive my guilt. :Blush:

In my own kneejerk defense, I drive 40 miles to work each day and 40 miles home again. Why would I do that? Because in Los Angeles you have to be seriously wealthy to buy a home any closer. And, in the past year the value of my home has fallen by 15%.

Since you asked, however, this morning I filled my pickup truck gas tank for$3.19 a gallon. That would be 1.63 pounds. (And my keyboard and web browser won't allow me the option of using the sign for the pound and okay, I'll be ashamed of that, too.) :winky:

All in good fun, as I assume the original notes were intended.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Dave
No need to feel ashamed for anything
we Brits would probably be enjoying cheaper fuel too if our government weren't bandits adding aprox 60% tax to the price nobody to blame but us for putting up with it.
anyway don't get me started :roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Dave no insult was meant I am sure.

Most of us love our RVs so much so we are prepared to pay these outrageous fuel prices.

I think also a lot of us dream of driving across the states in an RV to see your country.

We are also envious of vehicles prices in the States as they are double the price here which is a subject currently being discussed on your forum about Jeeps.

Please dont be put of by what been said as it's mainly anger at the price of fuel in the UK thats rising still sadly.

Hope you stay with us and contribute on the board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
Hi Dave
No need to feel ashamed for anything
we Brits would probably be enjoying cheaper fuel too if our government weren't bandits adding aprox 60% tax to the price

60% tax? Blimey! :Eeek:

My wife and I are hoping to pay our first visit to Britain next year. Her family is Irish and want to go traipsing around up there for a week or so but I'm more looking forward to London and the British countryside. Before we go I'll ask for suggestions here.

Glad to have made another group of friends!

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
...nice folks very helpful tell Tom (aadmin) hello for me

Hi Tony and thanks for the nice comments. I joined here a few days ago after seeing a mention by Paul (UK-RV).

When I first started coming to California from sunny South Wales in the 70's, petrol here was 58 cents a U.S. gallon. I thought Californians were crazy for complaining about that "high" price.

Just 3 years ago, we took our boat out through the Golden Gate and down the California coast to Ensenada (65 miles south of San Diego). We burned 3500 US gallons of diesel on the round trip. Diesel was around $1.39/US gallon at that time. Now it's almost 3 times the price and I couldn't afford to make the trip today. No wonder we're complaining.

But, as I tell Brits who complain about your high price of fuel, I won't take out my towel and cry. The folks in Westminster promised cheap petrol for everyone when they authorised drilling in the North Sea. But the annual budget day increase in petrol tax was too much of a temptation for easy revenue. Like taxes on tobacco (smoking was more socially accepted then) and liquor, fuel tax increases had become expected by HM loyal subjects. It wasn't if the tax would be increased, but by how much.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Trouble is if they reduced it on fuel they would take it from us somewhere else.

Take take take:Doh::cry:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
John,

I have to ask about your tag line. I didn't know they allowed immigrants into Wales, except maybe from Poland.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994

My wife and I are hoping to pay our first visit to Britain next year. Her family is Irish and want to go traipsing around up there for a week or so but I'm more looking forward to London and the British countryside. Before we go I'll ask for suggestions here.

Dave
keep an eye on our calendar when you come and try and make one the meets
it would be nice to meet you :thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

Dave, its not just the fuel you will find hellishly expensive here.............food, clothes, hotels, public transport, drinks - you name it. Apart from essentials I buy nothing in the UK if I can help it - I ship it all in from California.

As an example, (here I go again) a 5 liter box of Californian Zinfandel costs me around $9.00 in CVS, Wallmart or similar stores. Over here the same brand in a 3 liter box costs £16.00 ($30.00) in Asda which is, incidentally, owned by Wallmart!

Given the chance I'd put up with your fuel prices and insurance costs and would move out there in the blink of an eye :roflmto:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
... forgot to tell you he was exiled from england

LOL, my tag line for many years was 'Taff exiled in California', but I kept having to explain what Taff meant.

Do you think that John minded paying the Severn Bridge toll on the Welsh side the day he immiigrated? The old bridge always irritated me when I had to pay on the English side. But it was a lot more convenient than the old Beachley ferry.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Because I have just drained my last box and won't have any more till February 5th! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back