Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
copied from another thread

Encantador;540295 [I said:
It has a gas tank but the salesman said his manager has just told him that because of new regulations they would have to remove or decominish it, they could not leave it connected and working.[/I]

Thanks for all the replies to my other threads that have helped us get this far, prepare yourselves for more to follow.

Steve

Can anyone elborate please?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I need to phone a friend who used to do gas conversions on cars but he is not in.

As far as I remember all the tanks came with a test certificate and I believe they had to be re-tested at a certain time scale similar to a receiver on a compressor but possibly not on an annual scale as per compressors

I will find out though

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I need to phone a friend who used to do gas conversions on cars but he is not in.

As far as I remember all the tanks came with a test certificate and I believe they had to be re-tested at a certain time scale similar to a receiver on a compressor but possibly not on an annual scale as per compressors

I will find out though
if you have a Gaslow system fitted it has a lifespan of 15 years before it should be tested

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Found this ..

"Although static LPG storage tanks and proprietory gas cylinders ('bottles') have manadatory test periods (Ten years and Fifteen years respectively), Automotive LPG tanks are not subject to these checks. It has been assumed that any Automotive LPG tank will be scrapped along with the vehicle at the end its life, which is Ten years on average. ."

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There are no new regulations that I'm aware of, certainly not any that would mean the dealer has to decomission and remove a bulk tank. I am aware of at least one motorhome and caravan workshop that insists you remove your gas bottle BEFORE submitting your unit to them for a hab inspection, I've often wondered how they test the gas appliances without a gas cylinder. Perhaps its a condition of their insurance that they don't have "live" gas cylinders in the workshop.

D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Found this ..

"Although static LPG storage tanks and proprietory gas cylinders ('bottles') have manadatory test periods (Ten years and Fifteen years respectively), Automotive LPG tanks are not subject to these checks. It has been assumed that any Automotive LPG tank will be scrapped along with the vehicle at the end its life, which is Ten years on average. ."

Am wondering how many old Yanks are running around illegally then Jim. Most if not all Yanks have an LPG tank. Just another get-out clause in the event of an insurance claim.:Sad:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
From comments on this and my other thread (where I explain what the salesman told me) I am going to ask them to explain why they have said they have to remove or decominish it.

As I explained on the other thread, I am pretty sure when opening the outside lockers there was one that was for two gas bottles it had pipes but was empty. The salesman did say we just needed to get bottles from Calor so I guess that confirms that.

So, assuming the gas tank is fitted elsewhere, if it stays and is working, would we still be able to use bottles as well and just switch between the two systems?

I only ask because from the little bit of info I have picked up re gas, bottles are better at home and a tank abroad, or have I got that all wrong?

How much cheaper is it to use the tank rather than bottles?

Just need to get my arguments ready as to why they should leave it.

Thanks

Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Steve, a tank is much better than bottles and tanks are expensive to buy and get fitted. They may be pulling a fast one and removing to sell on or fit elsewhere. Tell them you want it and are prepared to get it checked independently. :thumb:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Steve, a tank is much better than bottles and tanks are expensive to buy and get fitted. They may be pulling a fast one and removing to sell on or fit elsewhere. Tell them you want it and are prepared to get it checked independently. :thumb:

Thanks Jim, don`t suppose you (or anyone) can give me a ball park figure for getting one fitted. I appreciate there are probably lots of variables.

As it has been a week, just wondering if they will try and say they have already removed it.

As I have only paid a `refundable` deposit, i still have a little bargaining room.

thanks

Steve

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Conrad Anderson fit gas tanks, check out their website for prices.
They are not cheap.

Link Removed

Brisey.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am wondering how many old Yanks are running around illegally then Jim. Most if not all Yanks have an LPG tank. Just another get-out clause in the event of an insurance claim.:Sad:

Yes indeed Dave, the RV I sold will now be 15 years old.. not just yanks, lots of old euro vans have them .. and they are normally under-slung and unprotected from the constant spray from the road.

I cleaned and painted mine once a year but that is really only a cosmetic exercise.. after 15 years corrosion will also be present inside the tank.. it would certainly be prudent to remove and have it cleaned, inspected, hydro static pressure tested and re certified.. but how many will .. it may be cheaper just to replace.. ? Either way it wouldn't be cheap ..

As you say, in the event of an accident caused by a tank rupturing I think the first thing they would ask is, when was it last certified.. where is the test cert.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks Jim, don`t suppose you (or anyone) can give me a ball park figure for getting one fitted. I appreciate there are probably lots of variables.

As it has been a week, just wondering if they will try and say they have already removed it.

As I have only paid a `refundable` deposit, i still have a little bargaining room.

thanks

Steve

depending on size, you are looking at between £400 - £600 or as much as £800 depending on size and ease of fitting.
I reckon as said in your other thread, the dealer knows there's at least 2-3 hundred pound for taking this off and sticking it on ebay.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
To fit an underslung tank at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk is around the £750 mark, there is hardly any difference in price between a 40 litre one and a 100 litre one so its best to fit the biggest one that space/payload allows.

Paul.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yes indeed Dave, the RV I sold will now be 15 years old.. not just yanks, lots of old euro vans have them .. and they are normally under-slung and unprotected from the constant spray from the road.

I cleaned and painted mine once a year but that is really only a cosmetic exercise.. [HI]after 15 years corrosion will also be present inside the tank[/HI].. it would certainly be prudent to remove and have it cleaned, inspected, hydro static pressure tested and re certified.. but how many will .. it may be cheaper just to replace.. ? Either way it wouldn't be cheap ..

As you say, in the event of an accident caused by a tank rupturing I think the first thing they would ask is, when was it last certified.. where is the test cert.

Spot on, JIm.
The maximum life for an LPG Cylinder (and these are cylinders, not true tanks: capacity determines cyl / tank, not what folk want it to be) is 10 years, extendable to 15 on certification. After 15 years a full technical inspection is required to re certify.
This is not "new" legislation, or designed to "take more money off us", it already exists, has done for years.
There will be some coming on now telling us they have had / used these things for 500 years without any problem: sorry, but that's how it is.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I would ring one of these companies that fit the tanks and ask them if there has been some new regulations as they would be the first to know (it being their business). Most sales managers know nothing about motorhomes other than the vehicle specs and how well their sales team has done this month. I doubt very much that one would know about some new regulation re; gas tanks -most of them dont even check /advise someone about the correct licence entitlement to drive the motorhome they would like to purchase if its above the 3500kg base weight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back