habation and electrical testing (1 Viewer)

dm73779

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
redditch
Funster No
MH
wanna be
Exp
na
How often do you have a habitation or electrical check?

I know these tests are not legally required, but would you advise them to be done and if so how much should i be paying?
regards
dave

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. Depends on one's level of expertise ... Personally, the only professional one I've ever had done was the freebie one when we bought our present MH. Everything they did I could've done myself. In fact they told me they had a problem getting the water boiler to work and that they'd have to get the Truma guy in which could take a week. I told them that if they removed the vent cover it would probably work. They removed it and it worked. Same with the Truma gas heating: they couldn't get it to go more than a minute. I pointed out to them that I'd noticed the 'chimney' laying in one of the lockers and that a cover had been fixed over the flue. ...
Some companies doing hab.checks exclude certain things like the fridge. In my view that is one of the things not everyone is familiar with. Damp problems can be detected simply enough. Best thing is if you are not confident have it done professionally - and hope they know what they're doing. Go on recommendation if you can. :thumb:

OP
OP
D

dm73779

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
redditch
Funster No
MH
wanna be
Exp
na
I am quite suprised when people say they can do it themselves. How do you pressure test the gas system to check for leaks without special equipment? likewise how can you check the gas emissions coming from say your fridge without the analiser?

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Lowdhams

Just recieved a letter from Lowdhams asking me to book a habitation check since it will be due one in March. Further down the page it quotes " We would ideally like the vehicle for 7 days to give us flexibility in our work schedule" They must be living in another world ! 7 days for a check that takes approx 1 hour I don't thinks so.
We had the first free check with Lowdhams, ever after we use a qualified mobile engineer who comes to us does the check, fixes anything we need doing, orders parts if needed and is cheaper than the the dealer, No contest.:Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am quite suprised when people say they can do it themselves. How do you pressure test the gas system to check for leaks without special equipment? likewise how can you check the gas emissions coming from say your fridge without the analiser?
hi and welcome to the fun from your reply you obviously would know what you are talking about however, a gas leak will result in a smell anyone could detect and an empty bottle. Providing the fridge and fire burn with a blue (not yellow) flame and both work then ok Emmisions are vented outside of the motorhome and the carbon monoxide detector inside would soon go off if emisions were bad and somehow leaking into the van. A damp detector is only a few quid off of ebay but your eyes and nose are probablly a better indicator. If you are unsure then by all means go for a check it will be around £100 for less than an hours work and some checks are more thorough than others. For an initial purchase of a secondhand van it could be a good idea to uncover and hidden problem whilst you have time and warrenty to get them fixed. There are a number of excellent engineers that are members of this forum, Dave Newell, Dave Evans, CLS (mobile), Ash (mobile) etc all of whom wiill carry out a full and proper inspection/service. They are all registered TRADE members.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How do you pressure test the gas system to check for leaks without special equipment?

likewise how can you check the gas emissions coming from say your fridge without the analiser?

A simply way is to install a pressure gauge on the LP side of the regulator.. some RVs have a gauge mounted inside the van to monitor gas pressure.. Gaslow systems have one as well.

Method.
* Close all appliance valves and bottle valve (if a tank, the outlet valve). This 'locks' the gas in the system.

* Watch the gauge.. it should maintain the pressure for some time.. if it drops quickly you have a leak..
It won't hold the pressure indefinitely as a very small amount of gas can leak around control valve stems on the cooker etc .. but if it holds for 30 mins or so.. no problems.

For gas appliances as Roger said..

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Just recieved a letter from Lowdhams asking me to book a habitation check since it will be due one in March. Further down the page it quotes " We would ideally like the vehicle for 7 days to give us flexibility in our work schedule" They must be living in another world ! 7 days for a check that takes approx 1 hour I don't thinks so.
We had the first free check with Lowdhams, ever after we use a qualified mobile engineer who comes to us does the check, fixes anything we need doing, orders parts if needed and is cheaper than the the dealer, No contest.:Eeek:

Don't suppose he lives near the York area??

Mike:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back