Dover Dunkirk ..DFDS/ caravan club ferry deal (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
As a member of the caravan club , I received their flyer showing the Dover Dunkirk ferry deal via DFDS..... Car & caravan from £39 single trip. Motorhome from £ 29 single trip..... Thought ,,,,, I"ll have some of that .

Using the flyer as a guide on days and times for deal , input details for motorhome ( up to 7 metre , no trailer ) , return trip on caravan club site . Making sure that I choose the sailings with the £29 single fare.

Result = always £92 + ( mostly £102 for some reason ) ..... So nowhere near £58 return ,supposed deal price.

=======

Curiosity time ......... Put in same sailing/day/time but change to caravan & car ( less than 12 metre total ) ...... result is always £78 return.Never more never less. So always the published from £39 cost

=======

Now put in randomly chosen days throughout the range feb - july, but keep the times for lowest cost sailings ... Result always as shown above .

====

Ok , Contact DFDS , result = they blame caravan club , but clearly also saying that they were aware of problems in the booking system and that the workaround was telephone book only with caravan club ????

OK ,contact caravan club by telephone , ref the booking cost results . They tried booking from their own system . Result = same figures I achieved .They then blame DFDS.

As at contact today , both parties still blaming the other ,,,,,,,, but adding blame to all of a sudden , include a quota system for motorhomes on sailings .Then further suggesting its complete coincidence that I get higher figures for MH than car/ caravan sailings ???

Both parties now also saying that the deal actually belongs to and is administered by the other party , so basically passing the buck. ???

Incompetence , duplicity , rip off Britain ?

Sorry folks , rant over .

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
stick with the tunnel and Tesco's vouchers:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: Thats the way I think Roger........ Jeez , done my head in listening to the b***sh** from dfds and caravan club . They couldnt organise the proverbial in a brewery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fen tiger

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Tunnel

We've never used the tunnel as it is so expensive. Are there deals to be had? We have spent 7 years travelling with Sea France so we now have to shop around. :Cool:

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
We've never used the tunnel as it is so expensive. Are there deals to be had? We have spent 7 years travelling with Sea France so we now have to shop around. :Cool:

If you mean deals to be had travelling via tunnel , their frequent traveller. ( http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/ ) might be worth looking at .

There may well be other deals for tunnel , the only other one I know of is tesco vouchers . Details on the tesco and euro tunnel websites maybe ?

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
my pilot is allways £ 33.00 when u book with dfds at dover on phone ::bigsmile:
dont book with caravan club as will charge you more, they will add there charge on top >>> :Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
my pilot is allways £ 33.00 when u book with dfds at dover on phone ::bigsmile:
dont book with caravan club as will charge you more, they will add there charge on top >>> :Blush::Blush:

Funnily enough , when I spoke to DFDS this morning regards the so called deal with them and caravan club ,the lady there mentioned a £30 something single fare . However the downside was that 6 journies had to be booked and paid for to get the deal ?? Do these companies just quote random figures and make up random rules as they go along ?

Fen tiger

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ferries

Gosh! we are naiive. We didn't know you could just ring the ferry companies. Duh! :Sad:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I also tried yesterday through the Caravan Club website and got higher prices than going direct to the DFDS site.

I had the same last year, so booked DFDS direct and got a 7m van for £78 return in August / September.

I just tried again 10 mins ago.... to make sure......

Out August 1, return Aug 16, 2012.

DFDS direct, (website) cheapest return £78, most expensive £110.
Caravan Club cheapest return £116, most expensive £168.

The Caravan Club also initially flags up the highest crossing at £168, I had to dig further to get a cheaper price.

The most expensive DFDS fare was still cheaper than Caravan Club's cheapest!
So great deals from the Caravan Club........ NOT:Doh:

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
I also tried yesterday through the Caravan Club website and got higher prices than going direct to the DFDS site.

I had the same last year, so booked DFDS direct and got a 7m van for £78 return in August / September.

I just tried again 10 mins ago.... to make sure......

Out August 1, return Aug 16, 2012.

DFDS direct, (website) cheapest return £78, most expensive £110.
Caravan Club cheapest return £116, most expensive £168.

The Caravan Club also initially flags up the highest crossing at £168, I had to dig further to get a cheaper price.

The most expensive DFDS fare was still cheaper than Caravan Club's cheapest!
So great deals from the Caravan Club........ NOT:Doh:

====

On that I agree wholeheartedly. How can they get away with advertising something which is buried so deep, to all intents and purposes it just isn"t there , or is pure luck if found .Only by as you say , having to " dig further " ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have to say we found them very helpful, we phone up with a code that was given on FUN (from the NEC) booked there and then with the option to change the date any time before June which we have and all for £25 all in.

Worth seeing if you can find a code anywhere.

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Have to say we found them very helpful, we phone up with a code that was given on FUN (from the NEC) booked there and then with the option to change the date any time before June which we have and all for £25 all in.

Worth seeing if you can find a code anywhere.

Thats the next task finding a valid code , thanks Carol. :Smile:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
dfds/norfolk line

HAS ANY ONE BEEN GIVEN A CODE ??? MAY BE WE CAN USE IT AND SAVE A FEW BOB:Eeek::Eeek:

Codes are usually issued after a major indoor show, the next being Excel early feb, keep your eyes open as I am doing so I can book for June.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
BOOKED DOVER DUNKIRK WITH CARAVAN CLUB 58 POUNDS RETURN IN JUNE.WENT ON WEB SITE WITH DFDS 56 POUNDS PLUS 4 POUND BOOKING FEE.:thumb::thumb:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Booked 23.30 dover-dunkirk + return for august through caravan club web site back in december, £58 for 7.5 meter mh... dfds own web fare £147. I allways found sea france expensive.

never done dunkirk before, I just hope there is somewhere to stay the night ,, eg ticket office car park same as in dover.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
book early

Book early and you can get some deals.. I go always by the tunnel... a) it is fast b) I have a dog with me in the RV c) no rough seas to worry about...

I am 45' with my car trailer and I go in the summer for around £300 return as a guide give or take a few pounds.. at not in the middle of the night, but when I want to go mid morning.

If I arrive early often I get offered an earlier train across same coming back... (with in 2 hours of the departure time I had already booked).

It is an easy load on to the train... easy access out of the terminal and on tot he French roads North or South.

Give it a go.. you will not go back to the ships.

Bob

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
dover Dunkirk

lou020 stayed a few weeks ago at Dunkirk yes parking at Port ticket office first time we stopped there and found it noisy we use Dunkirk every time we use the ferry and usually stay on massive lorry park 500 mts away lovely and quite. Stay Safe:thumb: still get best deal with caravan club 8mts £88 =£58 return plus £30 for dog:thumb:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Just booked Dover - Dunkerque for May via the Caravan Club. £58 rtn.:Smile: :thumb:

Would have been £50 for an over night sailing.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Book early and you can get some deals.. I go always by the tunnel... a) it is fast b) I have a dog with me in the RV c) no rough seas to worry about...

I am 45' with my car trailer and I go in the summer for around £300 return as a guide give or take a few pounds.. at not in the middle of the night, but when I want to go mid morning.

If I arrive early often I get offered an earlier train across same coming back... (with in 2 hours of the departure time I had already booked).

It is an easy load on to the train... easy access out of the terminal and on tot he French roads North or South.

Give it a go.. you will not go back to the ships.

Bob
we would love to go by train

BUT our RV has an LPG conversion
so as i have this i can not use the euro tunnel service

it seams bloody stupid to me
the system can be turned off just as easy as a bottled gas that you can take on to the train :Doh:

so we only have the ferry option to get over to europe

ELSIEKAY

Free Member
Jan 28, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Arrgh... I have just been quoted £330 return for Portsmouth to Cherbourg at the end of April for an 18 ft motorhome with Brittany Ferries.

That was the cheapest I could find and includes a discount. Reading these posts make me wonder if I have been misquoted?:cry:

This is our first time abroad so we are a bit " green" !

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Arrgh... I have just been quoted £330 return for Portsmouth to Cherbourg at the end of April for an 18 ft motorhome with Brittany Ferries.

That was the cheapest I could find and includes a discount. Reading these posts make me wonder if I have been misquoted?:cry:

This is our first time abroad so we are a bit " green" !

Hi I think that is always a more expensive crossing as its a lot further. Dover - Dunkerque always seems to be the cheapest even though its a little further than Dover - Calais, different firm I guess.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If you sail out on a Sunday, and sail back on a Friday, you can get a Dover Dunkerque return for £54 through the CC. The same crossing booked direct with the ferry operator is usually dearer, but not by much. Perhaps things have changed, along with the ownership, ie, DFDS as it is now.

This year, we are sailing out @12.00 on Sat 6th April, and back @10.00 on Sunday 6th May, for £48 return booked through the CC. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back