Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
looking for one
Exp
im a newbie
hi we are looking for an rv, best places to look?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Worth looking at all the dealers, wander round see what takes your fancy in size, layout, cost etc. Will be some good deals out there. There are stacks standing around to look at.
Good luck :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Have some idea of what you want

Have some idea of what you perceive what an RV is to you... eBay is a good place to see what is about.. Also to see lots of different types worth looking at PPL site in Houston Texas... They are consignors and sell over 1,000 RV's a year... Some have even imported from them.. But it is a good site to see all the types of vehicles are about.. Any ideas will help you looking in the UK.

First things first.. Have you considered you driving licence entitlements? Most RV's are around 7.5 tons and bigger. Which does not help if you have a B1 car licence. If you go over 7,500 kgs or 7.5 tons then you need a C class licence.. I.e an HGV licence... Ifyou have grandad rights you can drive an RV over .3,500 kgs or 3.5 tons but up to 7,500 kgs or 7.5 tons you will need a C1 licence.. If you want to tow a trailer you will need a +E entitlement.

That is before you even think of an RV ... The are you looking for an A, B or C class? How many berths? Diesel or petrol or LPG....

It takes most people over a year to find a vehicle they want... Budget comes in to it... Are you a sub £20k person.. That will effect age available.. Or do you look in the say sub £50k or like some we know spend £165k on a 3 year old RV...

If you hit the link below that's in red.. You can see what I drive.. Cost me £28k 3 years ago... But I spent best part of £14k on it since.. In fact £200 only today for two new domestic batteries.

RV' are not cheap to run or insure.. I get a very good 14 to the gallon, but many A class are downtown single figures.

Research, research and do more research... Go to one of the shows this summer and see them ... Or as you are in Kent ... I live in Kent...you could p.m. Me once you are a subscriber.. If you want to see or learn more.. Best £10 you will spend... I to day got £30 discount from one of our traders as a member of this site.

Bob

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

what size rv can you drive? some are way over 7.5ton
i got my RV off ebay
a good deal only 25 foot long a great RV with every thing you need for comfort mine is only 4.5ton i tow a car trailer on the back with my car on it

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If you find one do not buy it until you contact Duncan at starspangledspanner.co.uk

he knows RV`s inside out and will be the best money you can spend to protect your investment
he is a fulltim RV owner and only works on RVs
a very nice honest guy

best to get it checked no point finding out its got major problems after you blow your budget :cry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is often just a dream for some

It is often just a dream for some. I have notice this kind of request a few times here and on RVOC (our sister site which is just American RV's). Someone takes a fancy to the idea of owning an American "Winnebago" or as we know them RV's.. often the name Winnebago is mentioned a bit like hoover to indicate a type of brand image.

People often get carried away.. Sue and I do some work for the St Bernard Trust... mainly house checks..we get this all the time in that the 'idea' of having one is like a dream, whereas the reality is something else.. give me £1 for every time I hear the word the dog called by the film title which has a St Bernard in it.. I hate the word so will not write it. But it is a dream created by a film company.. St Bernard's 70 to 100KGS are massive dogs, or as someone said the other day my Ezzie is a pony.

So what has that got to do with RV's????? simples as the advert says.

The American RV is a dream. for some we live that dream and know the costs and issues around owning an American rig. But for those that suddenly get the idea one morning that they want to own one... I would suggest they go back to sleep and wake up again.

Yes it is great owning one. But you do need to do a lot of home work and research before you rush off and buy one on ebay.

We have all seen recent buyers (on RVOC) buy an RV.. as it happens both purchased C class rigs and both lasted a short time. One did not do enough research and the other wanted the comforts of home and could not adapt to an RV. If I know of two in the past 6 months I bet there are many others out there.

Most RV owners have had a euro box in the past or move up from one. I certainly did. I owned a Mercedes with a Glendale body.. one euro box was enough for me, I went to yanks 20 year plus ago and still own one. You are either an RV owner or you are not.

I am not going to go into the facts that the Yanks has so much more than the Euro box comfort wise and has done so for 20 years or more. I opened my other post in this thread about driving licences. that has to be the starting point. But you do sure need to have some idea about what an American RV is really about. The issues of trying to get a 33' on a camp site... finding a dump point for the American waste systems (yes we know how to get round it now)... but if you are thinking of an RV...and why not .. they are great.. just do some proper research before you rush out to buy one.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It is often just a dream for some. I have notice this kind of request a few times here and on RVOC (our sister site which is just American RV's). Someone takes a fancy to the idea of owning an American "Winnebago" or as we know them RV's.. often the name Winnebago is mentioned a bit like hoover to indicate a type of brand image.

People often get carried away..
Bob

So very true Bob ... good advice ... for some people dreams are best left as dreams..

Time and again, I read posts about people dreaming of going fulltime.. they dream of a carefree gypsy lifestyle.. free on the road, free to go and do what they want. whenever they want..

Just like owning and running an RV the reality is a whole lot different.. having done both I give advice but often that advice is ignored.. some people just have to find out for themselves.. it can be a costly exercise..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back