portable solar panel chargers (1 Viewer)

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Hi All : I'm looking for some advice on these chargers please

Been looking at them on amazon

need to know if anyone who has one, or knows anything about them could point me in the right direction------i.e. are they any good for the keeping the leisure battery topped up

cheers in advance

Bellboy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All depends on the power rating (link to the ones you've been looking at would be useful) and whether or not you can keep it oriented towards the sun (especially in winter).

I tried one of Link Removed a few years ago when I knew nowt and was daft (as opposed to knowing summat and still daft :Smile:) and found it to be useless.

OP
OP
B

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Many thanks for the reply GJH---sorry not as switched on with the old PC as you matey----don't know how to attached links

Wivvy's dad---that's the very boy I'm after ( the brief case one)
should I look at anything else or is this all I require to keep the leisure battery topped up mate ?

Belboy

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Many thanks for the reply GJH---sorry not as switched on with the old PC as you matey----don't know how to attached links

Wivvy's dad---that's the very boy I'm after ( the brief case one)
should I look at anything else or is this all I require to keep the leisure battery topped up mate ?

Belboy

I'd say go for it. You can always point it towards the sun, which is a bit trickier with the roof mounted jobbies, and cheaper, and you don't have to drill holes in the bodywork.

I got the leads hard wired onto the leisure battery rather than the alligator clips supplied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Max power is less than 1Amp ... to be exact 743mA

that is in FULL sunlight.. at best, it will keep a fully charged battery topped up, providing it's not being used.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Which is what the OP asked, unless I'm very much mistook

no.. that's correct..

but didn't see 'fully charged' in the op question ...

I was just clarifying.. sorry I mentioned it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In my opinion 1 amp at max, and I stress MAX charge of 1 amp and that's only available for an hour or two on a sunny day (unless you stay with it and move the panel every hour) is not even going to to keep up with self discharge of all but a brand new battery.

Doug...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just one point to remember with that panel.....

Please note: This kit is not waterproof. The panel is water resistant so suitable for use in light showers but the charge controller unit should always be kept away from moisture as it is not water resistant.

which will mean taking it indoors every time it rains or it could get waterlogged and fail.
it seems Amorphous panels are not waterproof.

I nearly bought a 60w panel from maplin's a few years ago...had to ring and cancel the order once I realised.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
For the same money as the maplin folding unit, you could buy a 40 watt panel c/w a digital charge controller from flebay.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
just one point to remember with that panel.....

Please note: This kit is not waterproof. The panel is water resistant so suitable for use in light showers but the charge controller unit should always be kept away from moisture as it is not water resistant.

which will mean taking it indoors every time it rains or it could get waterlogged and fail.
it seems Amorphous panels are not waterproof.

I nearly bought a 60w panel from maplin's a few years ago...had to ring and cancel the order once I realised.

Are you saying the panel's themselves are not waterproof or the whole unit because of the controller? The charge controller is a separate box that clips via short leads to the battery and is meant to be fixed inside the vehicle. There's a a single cable (something like 1.5 - 2m) that connects to it from the panel. So in my case when it's rained the panel has been the only thing outside.

To reinforce what others have said...don't expect much from the 13W Maplins panel and you won't be disappointed. It definitely won't keep up with the drain from my compressor fridge but in decent sunlight it does stretch things out. And on a very sunny and hot day in June last year (yes, we did have one), when I flattened my battery it keep the fridge ticking over enough to keep things cool enough inside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back