Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I'd appreciate Funsters views on Elecsol batteries. Pros & cons. Are they any better/worse/same as other types/makes? - (I know Trojans are the recommended option but finances do not permit at the mo).

:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We had 2 x 100 ah Elecsol batteries fitted 3 years ago and have had no problems with them. There were 2 reasons for choosing them, firstly was that they are sealed units, no maintenance required. As they are located beneath the driver and passenger cab seats this is a big plus. Secondly was thier size, the 100ah is the same size as the old 85ah batteries we were replacing, giving us a greater capacity.
Brisey.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My views also

I am about to change the two 85 amps Umax I have on my RV for 2 elecsol's which are 100 amps .. again space dictates.

Found some on ebay with delivery about £100 each.. seems to be the cheapest about.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
This is my view on Elecsol.

I had a set that failed during the warranty period and getting a replacement from Elecsol became a nightmare. The man who runs it ( It is a one man band operation running out of a shed in Cheshire ) is Rude and offensive to customers who complain

Google Elecsol Customer Services.

Eventually he sent me a new set which were half the weight ( Ie No Lead ) and absolute Rubbish. ( Unbranded )

He doesnt make batteries he just buys them from suppliers and puts his label on them

Getting my money back from ELECSOL proved almost impossible due to the owners obstructive Attitude.

Eventually Outdoorbits, who supplied them, refunded me and pusued Elecsol for a refund. ( I dont know how succesfull they were )

In a Nutshell ELECSOL are not the company they suggest on their web site and they have a terrible reputation for very poor customer services ( Look it up ) The batteries have deteriated in quality.

I know that many people will say they have had ELECSOL batteries for 5 years and they have never had a problem, I wish I had been one of them because thats what I paid for. They are great until they go wrong, then you have a nightmare claiming.

The owner seems to think that the "Sale of Goods Act" doesnt apply to him.

I eventually replaced my batteries from "Tanya" who told me that they were in the process of dropping Elecsol as their returns had become uncomfortable for them.

I clearly would not recommend tem at all.

Neil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'd appreciate Funsters views on Elecsol batteries. Pros & cons. Are they any better/worse/same as other types/makes? - (I know Trojans are the recommended option but finances do not permit at the mo).

take heed of Neil's post ... there have been several threads already about Elecsol poor customer service and failure to honour warranties..

If you plan on lots of off grid camping then push the boat out and buy proper traction batteries such as Trojan .. If not just buy cheap FLAs , which will give good service if properly looked after..
To put it another way, a cheap FLA will be half the cost of an Elecsol and even if it failed in three years it would still be more 'bang for buck'

I have four cheap 85ah FLAs in my RV .. used them for three years full time, when I sold the RV they were five years old and still holding a charge and giving good service.. and we spent a lot of time off grid and charging with a genny .. so they were well used..

Also bear in mind, battery warranties are notoriously hard to claim on and even if they supplier does acknowledge a fault you only get a pro rata rebate .. not a replacement ,,. so for example if it's 3 years old on a 5 year warranty you'll get 2/5th discount IF you buy another... not a cash refund.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The issue I have is the size

The issue I have is the size... Winnebago have a small through the floor storage box from way inside the RV.. I can only get an 86 amp x 2 in the hole at present.. the elecsol battery is the same size but at 100 amps .. not a lot more, but 28 amps is worth the extra in cost.

My 2 1/2 seasons on the UMAX see's them now not holding the charge they did.. the NASA B1 shows a drop in the available power after about 15 minutes... I can change them again to UMAX (who only guarantee them 2 years) for the same... or see if the elecsol will give me more power although cost more.

Still not sure what to do given the info from other members.. which is useful.

Bob

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol batteries for about three years. So far OK and I'm hoping to get to the 5-year mark. The main reasons for choosing them were: a) one of the previous batteries failed just as I was booked to see Dave Newell for some work and he supplies Elecsol; b) they would fit in the battery tray (height limit 200mm).

Earlier posters are correct that there have been reports of problems in getting warranty replacements. However, I have spoken to Elecsol a couple of times in the past for technical advice and they were very helpful in that regard. I am not sure about Elecsol being a 'one-man-band' but it is a small company, despite the appearance of the website. According to the Companies House website, it registers simplified accounts under the 'small company exemption' scheme.

Two thoughts: send a PM to Dave Newell and ask his views on Elecsol; or have a look at the Roadpro website (another trade member) where they list Banner batteries at about the same price as Elecsol. Banner 100/110 Ah are 190mm in height if that restriction applies to you.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

I had a set that failed during the warranty period and getting a replacement from Elecsol became a nightmare. The man who runs it ( It is a one man band operation running out of a shed in Cheshire ) is Rude and offensive to customers who complain

Google Elecsol Customer Services.

Eventually he sent me a new set which were half the weight ( Ie No Lead ) and absolute Rubbish. ( Unbranded )

He doesnt make batteries he just buys them from suppliers and puts his label on them

Getting my money back from ELECSOL proved almost impossible due to the owners obstructive Attitude.

Eventually Outdoorbits, who supplied them, refunded me and pusued Elecsol for a refund. ( I dont know how succesfull they were )

In a Nutshell ELECSOL are not the company they suggest on their web site and they have a terrible reputation for very poor customer services ( Look it up ) The batteries have deteriated in quality.

I know that many people will say they have had ELECSOL batteries for 5 years and they have never had a problem, I wish I had been one of them because thats what I paid for. They are great until they go wrong, then you have a nightmare claiming.

The owner seems to think that the "Sale of Goods Act" doesnt apply to him.

I eventually replaced my batteries from "Tanya" who told me that they were in the process of dropping Elecsol as their returns had become uncomfortable for them.

I clearly would not recommend tem at all.

Neil

But you did get three years battery use for absolutely nothing:thumb: So not all bad!

Elecsol batteries are great. Don't buy them from internet traders you'll have no back up. We have NEVER had a warranty claim refused

Ensure you have all the paperwork and you register the guarantee. for the additional warranty.

Otherwise I always recommend buying batteries from Halfords so you have a Nationwide Guarantee.

I started life working at 18 for the Longlife Tyre and Battery Company where we made batteries in the branch depending what the customer required.

All my vehicles have Elecsol batteries by choice, in my RV I have just had four 115 Ah AGM Elecsols fitted which carry a seven year warranty and I am extremely pleased the way that they are performing!

Eddie

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Eddie

It's all about "customer service". I know that you treat your customers correctly. Unfortunately Elecsol don't understand "customer services" to individuals.

Your right, it all tuned out OK in the end but it took months and months of battle.

Even when the courier returned the second set they discovered that Elecsol had shut up shop and moved premises to a smaller unit and he then wouldnt collect them from the courier, which caused me more grief.

Hats off in the end to ODB who stepped up to the plate and dealt with it correctly.

I know that there are a lot of very happy Elecsol Owners out there, I wish I had been one of them, I could have done without the aggrivation.

I can only comment on my experiences.

Best wishes

Neil

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Thanks everyone for the very useful info about customer service - or lack of. I'll stick to cheaper batteries I think - haven't had any probs so far.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I personalty knew the workshop of elecsol as of 12 years ago, I used to live nearby.

They where on a ex RAF workshop site at RAF Sealand North Wales, their set-up was a scruffy dump and did not encourage confidence, and at the time I chose not to buy their products.

Now let me stress that this info is now 12 years old and I may be doing them a disservice, but I still chose not to buy their products.

Doug...

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
I have 2 elecosol 100 amp batteries , personally dont think they are worth the money they certainly do not outperform and hold charge longer than cheaper batteries I have had previously

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have just ordered two from Eddie at VanBitz

I have just ordered two elercsol 100amps batteries from Eddie at VanBitz... I even got the functor 15% discount off the price, allowing for delivery charges I could not get them cheaper on ebay or from another company. I know I have VanBitz back up on the deal.

nice one Eddie.

Bob:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you really want the Trojans try pricing them from a forklift supplier as they will buy in bulk and get better discounts.
i got 2 forklift type batteries for mine as space isn't an issue and at £130+vat each not much more than elecsols.

Broken Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The issue I have is space

if you really want the Trojans try pricing them from a forklift supplier as they will buy in bulk and get better discounts.
i got 2 forklift type batteries for mine as space isn't an issue and at £130+vat each not much more than elecsols.

Broken Link Removed

The issue I have in the Winnebago Aspect is the battery box is under the floor in hard up against the left chassis rail.. with the forward cab bulkhead directly in front... the offside has the LPG equipment and behind is the slide out rails.. so no way can we extend the battery box. Eddie looked at this for a while when we first had our Sterling / satellite tv system / back up camera etc., fitted... but he could not find a suitable way to put any bigger batteries in the space. So we went with what we could fit.. the Umax x 2 went in as will the elecsols .. but we are still limited to 100 amps each battery.. would love more, but that is all I am going to get.. have even considered a battery to battery system using the battery on the car trailer (Winch) to increase the amount of amps I could get. (still working on that one)...

If you have the space uses Trojans would be ideal..... but on a B class RV which is packed solid with equipment you fight for every inch.

Bob:Sad:

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And this even more interesting, it also has a built in invertor.

Link Removed

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Neil

I can understand Elecsols attitude-your contract was with Outdoor bits,who refunded you.

I've had Elecsols for 2 yrs now-no complaints-my suppliers assure me that if I have a problem they will replace immediately.

Mike

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Your right about my contract being with Outdoorbits.

However, if you read the Elecsol warranty he clearly states that you must deal with him, which is impossible as an individual. His rudeness and abusiveness is unbelievable.

I have spoken to traders who post on this site and it is clear that he has a completely different attitude towards his retailers.

As I have said earlier his appalling attitude and service to individuals is famous. ( google it, I wished I had before I bought them )

I read on one post on another site that a couple turned up on his doorstep with a battery problem and because they didnt have the warranty card he wouldnt talk to them .

People must make up their own mind and I can only comment on my own experiences and I could never recommend them as a company.

The whole sorry tale probably cost me at least 5 days off work waiting for collections and deliveries that never arrived and hadnt even been arranged .

I was very lucky in the end that with the help of ODB my case was resolved. there are plenty of people who simply give up.

Neil

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All suppliers have a legal obligation to resolve any problem with your goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act he should have made arrangements for the collection of the order and subsequent replacement.

Your contract is with the supplier not the maker in all cases.

Peter

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Peter you are right and that is exactly what ODB did in the end after Elecsol refused to play their part.

We tried to follow the instructions on the warranty card but gave up in the end.

As always its all great until it goes wrong .

Good luck to any individual who tries to deal with Elecsol.

Neil

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Traction batteries aren't unaffordable, we have 2 of these-

Broken Link Removed

Ignore the starting bit, although they have a limited starting capability, they are a deep discharge type. Note the 'sealed' caps, they are less prone to splashing than many traction types.

Dyno also do a 135Ah version with the same dimensions.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Interesting article from Sterling Power about 'what's best' battery

Link Removed

Thanks Jim, I'm going to save that to my MH files. This guy obviously knows what he is talking about.

My Boat batteries are twin 110 ah. I don't have a third smaller battery for engine cranking.

My vented lead acid with a smart charger are all I've ever used and they have to do everything on board as EHU is often not an option, one would need a pretty long lead to sail away on EHU. I have no solar/towed/or wind generator just my trusty 1.0 Honda should I ever get into trouble and my 70amp alternator. Griff.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Traction batteries aren't unaffordable, we have 2 of these-

Broken Link Removed

Ignore the starting bit, although they have a limited starting capability, they are a deep discharge type. Note the 'sealed' caps, they are less prone to splashing than many traction types.

Dyno also do a 135Ah version with the same dimensions.

Mine fit under the 2 cab seats would these be fit for that??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back