hayling island,overnight parking (1 Viewer)

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
An overnight charge has been introduced for parking in west beach only.
between the hours of 10pm and 8am all year round.
Charges are £8 per night in low season(sep to may)
£10 per night in high season (june july and august)
WAYS TO PAY
Tickets can be purchased from the parking meter between the month's of feb-oct.
To obtain a ticket from the meter press the green botton.
Motorhome will then be displayed on screen, Then insert coins.
Failure to pay&display may result in the issue of a penalty charge notice.

the RinGo pay by phone facility is available to use 24 hrs a day.
instructions by the meters to use this falcility.

there is a chemical waste point and shower's located by the toilet block.
you will need a Radar key to access these.
the shower's are not free,you will need a token???.
any futher information please contact the tourist information office on 02392467111.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hayling Island.................wot a dump

:Smile:

You're obviously going to the wrong place............

...........walk for many coastal miles.....shore line birds you don't see everywhere.......you can almost touch the deep draft boats as they fight lowish water entry.... often deserted.........just how I like it.....:Smile:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
this is the new aire mentioned in another post ?

Charges seem reasonably .. or did you think otherwise ?
i dont think the charges are unreasonable,but i do think other councils will be watching this with intrest and if it fail's that will put an and to the aires in uk debate.
use it or lose it as they say:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i dont think the charges are unreasonable,but i do think other councils will be watching this with intrest and if it fail's that will put an and to the aires in uk debate.
use it or lose it as they say:Doh:

exactly ..

but as posted by Popeye
You're obviously going to the wrong place............
people will look for 'other' free places and there is a likelihood the aire will be declared a waste of tax payers money ...

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The entrance is by the inn on the beach(pub} good food to be had in this pub,and good fishing off the beach,and also popular for kite surfer's.:thumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Used to live in Portsmouth so have been to Hayling a lot, fishing or just using the beach with friends, great place for that and plenty of other stuff to do, but can get very busy in summer and only one bridge on and off which tends to bottleneck, so choose your arrival and leaving times with care, there is a ferry from the short hop to portsmouth but foot passengers, Motorbikes or bicycles only:thumb:
I should imagine it would be quite nice to stay right on the beach for a few nights in the summer and if I'm ever down that way again in my motorhome I will gladly use the provided facilitys, thanks Chris:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I once had a printing business in Station road so knew Hayling very well then. that wa 45 years ago I'm guessing it has changed now. However the beaches are excellent, shingle at eastoke and sand further along, supurb wildlife with some rare birds appearing frequently after storms. Some good diving on the old church (almost opposite the bottom of Staunton Avenue.)
fishing supurb. Driving down the west side of the Island west lane takes you through the countryside with great views, there are walks galore along the beach or North/south along the old railway track where the track follows the shoreline duck, geese and waders are seen in their thousands. On the east side starting at northney there are numerous marinas and boat yards where fast torpedo boats were built during the war. There are at least three large holiday camps on the Island owned by Warners (well they were 45 years ago and was where they started). quaint old churches and country lanes, a dump well I guess you are looking in the wrong places.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I once had a printing business in Station road so knew Hayling very well then. that wa 45 years ago I'm guessing it has changed now. However the beaches are excellent, shingle at eastoke and sand further along, supurb wildlife with some rare birds appearing frequently after storms. Some good diving on the old church (almost opposite the bottom of Staunton Avenue.)
fishing supurb. Driving down the west side of the Island west lane takes you through the countryside with great views, there are walks galore along the beach or North/south along the old railway track where the track follows the shoreline duck, geese and waders are seen in their thousands. On the east side starting at northney there are numerous marinas and boat yards where fast torpedo boats were built during the war. There are at least three large holiday camps on the Island owned by Warners (well they were 45 years ago and was where they started). quaint old churches and country lanes, a dump well I guess you are looking in the wrong places.
IT AINT CHANGED:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
not in the low season the parking is free,but normal parking charges apply in high season £5 all day last year:thumb:
So if we are realistic then the price will be £20 per night as not many will arrive after 10 and be away before 8am, this will require two day tickets and one night ticket.:cry: Not sure if that is what the pro lobby is looking for.:cry:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I've been there many times over the years, playing the golf course particularly.

And was down there only a few months ago, and I still think it's a dump.

There are far finer places either side of Hayling, and they don't cost a fortune as per the original post, in fact no cost at all. And with finer views.

ps There is a warden patrolling the carparks regularly, and I saw her issue at least 2 penalty notices to vehicles parked without displaying parking tickets.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So if we are realistic then the price will be £20 per night as not many will arrive after 10 and be away before 8am, this will require two day tickets and one night ticket.:cry: Not sure if that is what the pro lobby is looking for.:cry:
Does this £20 a night include electric and water etc.:Sad:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I've been there many times over the years, playing the golf course particularly.

And was down there only a few months ago, and I still think it's a dump.

There are far finer places either side of Hayling, and they don't cost a fortune as per the original post, in fact no cost at all. And with finer views.

ps There is a warden patrolling the carparks regularly, and I saw her issue at least 2 penalty notices to vehicles parked without displaying parking tickets.
and this post just about explain's why we aint got a hope in hell of getting aires in the uk,we are freeloaders,want it all at the cost of someone else:Doh:
havant council are on a loser from the start:Doh:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
and this post just about explain's why we aint got a hope in hell of getting aires in the uk,we are freeloaders,want it all at the cost of someone else:Doh:
havant council are on a loser from the start:Doh:

Agreed:Sad:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years

Well said Roger, ::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well it is only about 5 miles from my house as the crow flies, about 10 or 11 to drive. I will most definitely use this site for a week-end or two.

I have seen a lot of Motor homes down there and two or three times as many cars, often with dog walkers or ornithologists visiting. I would imagine the new charge will put a few skinflints off.........good, more room for me and others not begrudging a few quid.

Perhaps if lots of people use it then other councils will see it as a good investment to attract so many and of course the more that build these aires, the harder it will be to drive to an alternative spot to freecamp.

It strikes me as odd that just about every hamlet in France seeks permission to build an Aire just to attract the camping car custom to there cafes and assorted shops, some of which are free or low cost.

If it does work of course the local councils will see it as a money spinner and put the prices up accordingly.

I drove all over both Islands in New Zealand and only ever paid to park once in a whole month of driving. Why can't we be a little less greedy with our charges and balance it between low-cost=attractive, high cost=no visitors.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Well it is only about 5 miles from my house as the crow flies, about 10 or 11 to drive. I will most definitely use this site for a week-end or two.

I have seen a lot of Motor homes down there and two or three times as many cars, often with dog walkers or ornithologists visiting. I would imagine the new charge will put a few skinflints off.........good, more room for me and others not begrudging a few quid.

Perhaps if lots of people use it then other councils will see it as a good investment to attract so many and of course the more that build these aires, the harder it will be to drive to an alternative spot to freecamp.

It strikes me as odd that just about every hamlet in France seeks permission to build an Aire just to attract the camping car custom to there cafes and assorted shops, some of which are free or low cost.

If it does work of course the local councils will see it as a money spinner and put the prices up.
Why can't we be a little less greedy with our charges and balance it between low-cost=attractive, high cost=no visitors.

Agreed:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are many people existing on a minimal income for whom the choice is a site or fuel in the tank, thankfully we are few and far between and our addiction to motorhoming can be fed gently by off site parking, I have motorhomed one way or another since 1967 in a wide variety of vehicles of which only the last two and one much earlier were purpose built motorhomes. It was camping without a budget it is way of thinking that will always stay with me. Though I know there are those who think if you cannot afford something you should go without. Those that are in the fortunate position of not having to count pennies will never understand.
Since 1963 including rallies I have spent no more than 30 days on paid sites. With the increase in fuel cost i may well use sites more often but generally prefer to be away form other people doing my own thing. Hayling Island is still full of wilding spots if you don't overstay your welcome. Stay one night, take nothing but photographs and leave nowt but footprints.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
There are many people existing on a minimal income for whom the choice is a site or fuel in the tank, thankfully we are few and far between and our addiction to motorhoming can be fed gently by off site parking, I have motorhomed one way or another since 1967 in a wide variety of vehicles of which only the last two and one much earlier were purpose built motorhomes. It was camping without a budget it is way of thinking that will always stay with me. Though I know there are those who think if you cannot afford something you should go without. Those that are in the fortunate position of not having to count pennies will never understand.
Since 1963 including rallies I have spent no more than 30 days on paid sites. With the increase in fuel cost i may well use sites more often but generally prefer to be away form other people doing my own thing. Hayling Island is still full of wilding spots if you don't overstay your welcome. Stay one night, take nothing but photographs and leave nowt but footprints.

Up by the Esso Station you could wild camp, I have often stayed there overnight, when me and her indoors have had a fall out ( back next morning cap in hand) :ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
There are many people existing on a minimal income for whom [HI]the choice is a site or fuel in the tank[/HI], thankfully we are few and far between and our addiction to motorhoming can be fed gently by off site parking, I have motorhomed one way or another since 1967 in a wide variety of vehicles of which only the last two and one much earlier were purpose built motorhomes. It was camping without a budget it is way of thinking that will always stay with me. Though I know there are those who think if you cannot afford something you should go without. Those that are in the fortunate position of not having to count pennies will never understand.
Since 1963 including rallies I have spent no more than 30 days on paid sites. With the [HI]increase in fuel cost i may well use sites more[/HI] often but generally prefer to be away form other people doing my own thing. Hayling Island is still full of wilding spots if you don't overstay your welcome. Stay one night, take nothing but photographs and leave nowt but footprints.

You say one thing and then totally contradict yourself. "The choice is site or fuel, then with increased fuel costs more sites."

What is it exactly that you mean Roger?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what that means Griff is that for the idle poor touring is likely to be no longer an option, as fuel cost increases then time spent parked up will increase, thereby virtually forcing one onto sites, simples.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have seen a lot of Motor homes down there and two or three times as many cars, often with dog walkers or ornithologists visiting.
[HI]I would imagine the new charge will put a few skinflints off.........good, more room for me and others not begrudging a few quid.[/HI]
If it does work of course the local councils will see it as a money spinner and put the prices up accordingly.
I drove all over both Islands in New Zealand and only ever paid to park once in a whole month of driving. Why can't we be a little less greedy with our charges and balance it between low-cost=attractive, high cost=no visitors.

Now this is interesting....are you suggesting that Aires UK will keep the freeloaders away from these areas?
Perhaps the answer is to introduce a market rate for aires UK
,:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
what that means Griff is that for the idle poor touring is likely to be no longer an option, as fuel cost increases then time spent parked up will increase, thereby virtually forcing one onto sites, simples.

Thank you that is now clear .......

originally you were saying that fuel or site not enough money for both and now fuel is so dear that site camping would be totally out of the question, but your reply has helped my confusion

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Now this is interesting....are you suggesting that Aires UK [HI]will keep the freeloaders away[/HI] from these areas?
Perhaps the answer is to [HI]introduce a market rate for aires[/HI] UK
,:thumb:

Point 1. No, that was my glib answer to post #8.......quite honestly I'd rather it stayed free or at least as cheap as the current car park rate, but it was suggested that the Free-Camper would simply move on to another free site.

Point 2. Maybe that is not a bad idea, that would at least stop councils enjoying the camping cash cow and putting the charges UP if it turns into a success story.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
although living on Hayling, I thought the idea of Aires, was to bring income to the area,and use the facilities, perhaps a few clubs could negotiate a meet down here, there was a meeting down here at the Inn on the Beach, for surf boarders, also a lot of motorhomes were in attendance, and there was good grub available at the pub.....Del

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back