Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Hello all

In May 2012 I will be back in the U.K. after over 40 years away, mainly in Australia. If you see my van ( a new Bailey 745SE from those great guys at Chipping Sodbury Caravans ) with the Wizened and Australian logos on the back please say hello.
I will be staying in the U.K. and Europe for 12 months and then returning to Australia with the motorhome under my arm. This will be the start of our SKIing journey. ( Spending the Kids Inheritance. )

More soon

Tom::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome.

Sounds like an adventure:thumb:

How would you get the van back to Oz?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The wizened of OZ

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Motorhome to OZ

We would get it back by Ro Ro ( Roll on roll off ) ship. The cost is high but it is worth it. The cost of a similar motorhome in Australia is about $150,000. so after using it for a year we will be so far in front that the price of the holiday will be more than negated. The only problem I have is getting motorhome insurance in the U.K. as I will be on an international licence.

Tom

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Why don't you exchange the licence with DVLA for a UK one? You will need a "permanent" address in the UK at least to collect it. The downside is that it will cost you £20 and you will have to hand in your Australian licence. However, once your sabbatical is over you can apply to the Australian authorities for your Australian licence again. Not sure of the Australian procedure but the UK one is fairly simple and guidance is here. Australia is one of the designated countries, which means the authorities accept the test there is equivalent to the UK.

However, it really depends whether UK Insurance insist on a UK licence and I think they may just accept an Australian visitors licence.

Try contacting Comfort Insurance on this page and ask them the question.

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your trip to the UK.

Steve

OP
OP
The wizened of OZ

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
XXXX and licence

No I do not drink XXXX as that is the same sign we use out here for poison.

As a british citizen with an Australian licence I am still limited to the international licence in the U.K. As a visitor ( which I am ) my licence is not valid in the U.K. My first licence in the U.K. was over 40 years ago so I do not think it will still be valid.

Great to hear from you all.

Tom

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the forum, try contacting the DVLA. I'm sure you can retrieve your old licence a pass is a pass for life. (maybe without surendering your current one) But you will need a valid uk address for insurance purposes. Insurance has always been a problem for overseas visitors. Though I understand no problem in Aus.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why not make it a 2 year trip travelling overland to malaya then shipping from there, fantastic trip.:thumb:Of course if you want it driven(delivered someplace) then I am happy to do so for you free of charge apart from fuel/ferry/return fight/insurance costs.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Good of you to put yourself out Wildman! Although you may want to amend your comments "racing disgracefully toward the grave" before you offer to deliver someone's brand new MH!

Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hey I love to watch the scenery go by and 55mph is quite sufficient in a motorhome. But time flies and I cannot stop it or slow it down :whatthe:so may as well help as many people as I can.
Never pranged one yet by the way and I have a clean licence.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Gi Day Cane Toad:roflmto: I drove on my N S W license for six months, quite legally:thumb:
Friend drove for almost two years on a N Z one, he kept going to Europe, so each time he came back his six months started again. If he was stopped he showed the latest U K entry stamp in his N Z passport.

A Cockroach Supporter (aka Rangitira):RollEyes:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
No I do not drink XXXX as that is the same sign we use out here for poison.

As a british citizen with an Australian licence I am still limited to the international licence in the U.K. As a visitor ( which I am ) my licence is not valid in the U.K. My first licence in the U.K. was over 40 years ago so I do not think it will still be valid.

Great to hear from you all.

Tom

Ga'day mate, Mines a Tooheys Old please,

Welcome to the forum and to the UK, have a great time whilst your here.

I looked at taking a M/Home from UK to Aus (Fremantle) and it would cost about £4800 (A$10,000) one way. Plus needed a Cartel card in case we never exported it back home.

How would you manage on Import Taxes etc.?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
... and most importantly, how would you stop it dropping to bits once back in Oz - or don't you go walkabout like what my sister does with her caravan? - it's my understanding that Oz caravans and motorhomes are built considerably more robustly than the UK equivalent. But only because they need to be.

Cos otherwise, why doesn't somebody in Oz start a business importing European ones?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi there and :welcome: Tom. Remember to check out the Rallies, Meets and Shows section on the left, great opportunities to meet up with other Funsters. Obviously you do need to book in advance for most of them but well worth it. See you soon ::bigsmile: Jane and Bob :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun Tom...

If you get down my way (Central Portugal) you should drop in... we can go to Quinta Majay... have a beer or two in front of a (small) open fire and, after we put the fire out, you can see what the Ashes look like... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Aussies... don't you just love em? :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to the Fun Tom...

If you get down my way (Central Portugal) you should drop in... we can go to Quinta Majay... have a beer or two in front of a (small) open fire and, after we put the fire out, you can see what the Ashes look like... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Aussies... don't you just love em? :winky:
cruel JJ...cruel ! :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back