Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We don't seem to hear much about MHs up to say £10k on here - surely there must be a few?

:Smile:

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
I thought we have covered that with the Elderly German A class club lol! :ROFLMAO:

All 3 of us anyway, the rest are too new & posh to join!!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Well, old MH's are sort of cuddley, because they are familiar, need help from time to time and are easily understandable when things go wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
We have a 25 year old van that has cost us £2600. I reckon we will have just as much fun as if we had paid £26000.
I have noticed on here it seems to be nearly all retired/ semi retired ConDem voters and they have nice shiney vans. With the exception of a few obviously.

Now I reckon that will bring some more out of the woodwork with older vans.:winky::winky:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Ours was £16000 4 years back
Now it has a new engine £3000

Reupholstered £2300

Now it's worth £10000 if I find the right bidder

And I (wont afford out of principal )can't take it into London 12 ish miles from me

Joy o joy no it ain't for sale :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Our's is 9-10 years old. Will that do? I wish it had cost us below £10,000 but by the time inflation has take it's toll ........ ::bigsmile:
Ivy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've got an old caravan .. does that count ?

and as already said, it will give me just as much, if not more pleasure than my RV gin palace .. certainly a lot cheaper to run :roflmto:

and correct... I don't vote condem

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
cheaper motorhomes

our son has his 1994 mohawk for sale it is very clean for year and nice inside M O T til August this yeart and it passed the Mot with flying colours he is selling it because they don t use it it lies on the driveway he s wants £9000 which is a good price for a very clean van

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a 25 year old van that has cost us £2600. I reckon we will have just as much fun as if we had paid £26000.
I have noticed on here it seems to be nearly all retired/ semi retired ConDem voters and they have nice shiney vans. With the exception of a few obviously.

Now I reckon that will bring some more out of the woodwork with older vans.:winky::winky:

My van was more than £10k and I may be very semi-retired but not a ConDem voter. In fact I don't recall any ConDem candidates in the last election, funny how they now seem to be the government - democracy in action :roflmto:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'd like to be semi retired but sadly unless I win on the lottery it will be another 2o odd yrs for me :winky:

If you've two primary age children, in 20 years you'll still be a lot younger than me. Your time will come (if retirement still exists then)

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was just thinking about the lists of problems/teething troubles/hassles with dealers etc. that we read about here and 'elsewhere' involving much higher priced and new/newer MHs ... and the fact that we bought the Globetrotter for way under £10k, have lived full-time & travelled in her for a year, nothing has fallen off/broken, no claims were made under the 6 month warranty, everything works (so far, touch wood :roflmto:) ... Only job that has needed doing was to adjust the rear brake-shoes due to the fact the handbrake had been adjusted by the cable too many times instead of by the adjusters - done free of charge with apologies.
Also, been thinking of the old 608 which had covered 611.000kms when we parted company last year: she thought nothing of travelling to India and back then to Morocco etc. (suffering one blow-out and replacement of the centre propshaft bearing) - then, after 2 years of abuse, coming back to UK and passing the Mot without even an advisory. The next 2 Mots same except the last one where we were advised the rear number-plate would need replacing next time due to delamination (and she was under £3k)...

:whatthe:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
PS: we're both retired ... :RollEyes:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Oh dear, you've kind of used the bad swear word...

ConDem

I can just picture all the Funsters you've just insulted choking on their cups of tea as they read this, and making a right mess on their Maggie Thatcher drinks coasters. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we were told, yesterday, that our van was being written off we decided that we wouldn't reject the idea of an older, cheaper, van if we saw one with the type of layout we want (accepting that any older van would most likely not have everything on our "essentials" list).

We visited the only four dealers we know of in Durham/Tyne & Wear today and there was simply nothing available in the older bracket. The closest was a V reg Laika which, at 17K, was well overpriced for its condition.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Our old girl is 26 years old in March just clocked 100,000 miles , last outing was a 2000 mile trip to Switzerland and Germany November 2011, Cost me about 5k 5 years ago.
Worth every penny ::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We don't seem to hear much about MHs up to say £10k on here - surely there must be a few?

:Smile:

Hi there,
Tell us just exactly what you want to hear. We have 1998 Autosleeper Ravenna that I have been offered £9000 for and although she has cost a bit in engine repairs now runs like a dream. Like many I have been impressed by the simplicity of my motorhome and wonder why so many people buy new and seem to have endless problems.

Perhaps we could start a group within Funsters for motorhomers whose mh predate a certain year of manufacture; though what it would achieve I am not sure.

Norman

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Oh dear, you've kind of used the bad swear word...

ConDem

I can just picture all the Funsters you've just insulted choking on their cups of tea as they read this, and making a right mess on [HI]their Maggie Thatcher drinks coasters[/HI]. :winky:

I only sit and admire it, worship it even, I wouldn't dare put a cup of tea down on her..........

Wash your mouth out.........Griff
:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When we were told, yesterday, that our van was being written off we decided that we wouldn't reject the idea of an older, cheaper, van

The older Hymers never fail to impress me with their tardis like interiors and build quality. Nothing like £10K but still little money for what you get.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My old beast was a 1981 Merc 508D coachbuilt, a really rare beast only half a dozen were ever built I entually sold it for £3.5K. The engine, chassis and running gear having been restored to new condition. the guy had a bargain and it will still be around in another 30 years time. Unfortunately the layout did not really suit us nor the 19mpg though for a 5 ton van that was really quite good. Lots of photos in my blogs.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ours cost £10,500 in total 5 yrs ago (1999 ex amulance ::bigsmile:) and I have no doubt I will get very close to that now (probably more)Other than what I call everyday running cost's servicing etc, it has only cost about £100 or so last yr for a ABS sensor that fell off :Sad: and went to the comp tech guy to identify which rear wheel.Caused me a headache for a few days trying to get a socket to fit but hey ho I have one now ::bigsmile:
I think the reasoning behind only hearing from people with new/ newish M/Hs is simple if you pay for a older one then you expect/don't mind bits need fixing :thumb:where as if you paid 40 / 60k you would want perfection ::bigsmile:
I looked at buying a new 46k one about 7 yrs ago but I made a list of 16 faulty items including a hole in the worktop and that put me off new-how the hell can a m/h come out of the factory with a damaged w/top :Eeek:If they send them out like that what chance / what else have they botched/missed.
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Our first was a G Reg Pilote A Class, just under 11k we paid, that old thing with 100,000 kms under the belt just hummed along, AND!!! it had room in the bathroom to swing a cat, the one we have now is a bit limited in that way. We had it for five years, we got rid when it became a bit too expensive to take overseas with Red Pennet wanting an extra £147 and rising.:cry:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our first was a G Reg Pilote A Class, just under 11k we paid, that old thing with 100,000 kms under the belt just hummed along, AND!!! it had room in the bathroom to swing a cat, the one we have now is a bit limited in that way. We had it for five years, we got rid when it became a bit too expensive to take overseas with Red Pennet wanting an extra £147 and rising.:cry:

We use ADAC - 97 euros :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back