LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Everything went a bit quiet over Christmas/New Year, only to be expected, but last week we had a call saying an engineer would visit Teesside Caravans to assess the damage against the quotes for repairs.

We were expecting something from the insurance company this week but, out of the blue today, we received the tax disk, just attached to a compliments slip, from a company in Peterlee. Turned out they had been asked by the insurance company to collect the van from Teesside Caravans on Tuesday and store it.

Jill rang the insurance company and found that the van has been declared a write off. The Peterlee company were a it previous in sending us the tax disk because the claim hasn't gone fully through the insurance company's systems yet :Smile:

Naturally, the insurance company's offer is less than we think the van replacement cost will be but they are open to negotiation so we'll be doing some research tonight to see if we can get some more. We visited Cleveland Motorhomes this afternoon and the salesman we spoke to there was surprised the offer was so low, so we'll be using that as an argument.

On the plus side the insurance company is going to send us a cheque for the amount they offered without prejudice to negotiations so that will put money in the bank for us to start looking.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
At least the ball is rolling Graham, best of luck......

By the way, I will always write a letter to my customers detailing how much I would have paid for their (write off) before the accident occurred. This carries some clout if it comes from a bona-fide dealer, maybe they'd do that for you.......Griff
:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Sounds like progress Graham, hope it's works out for you:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Graham, whatever you do, don't go the Rapido route, you'll be locked into the NUT HOUSE for ever.

Just ask yourself, what sort of nutters buy Rapido. Find another 20k and buy my Geist Spirit...........Griff
:Smile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Great News...

Now you can get a Rapido and join me and Munchie..:thumb:

I thought Munchie had an Itineo?

Graham, whatever you do, don't go the Rapido route, [HI]you'll be locked into the NUT HOUSE for ever[/HI].

Just ask yourself, what sort of nutters buy Rapido. Find another 20k and buy my Geist Spirit...........Griff
Bit too late I think - I was a founder member :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So you will visiting here next weekend then Graham...

http://www.scsporthomes.com/

JJ :Cool:

Hmm. Not sure Jill will let me go so far down market ::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Graham

Looks like things are looking up, hope you can negotiate a price that suits you both.

Best of luck

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You need to get a written valuation as to what the van would have retailed at, not what it was worth in part exchange as that is 'trade value' and you CANNOT BUY AT TRADE.

That is what you have to tam down the insurance companies throat, plus you need the cost of running round the countryside to find a replacement.

You should also be entitled to the cost of hiring a replacement van :Smile:

Peter

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Naturally, the insurance company's offer is less than we think the van replacement cost will be but they are open to negotiation.

Let battle commence.

I'm sure you are up for it.

I don't like the sound of accepting a cheque for a lesser value, make sure you go over the small print with an electron microscope.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
obviously they are taking the pi$$ a bit but what i would do is find as many of the same model as you had as you can find all with prices so then at least you have more ammo. and dont forget about the extras.

i did this with a claim years ago when i was rear ended in an old sierra i found as many different ones in auto trader as i could with the same spec and age and gave those to my solicitor and we then got a fair payout.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
insurance

glad your getting it wrote off but hold out for what it s worth good luck:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if they are going to argue the toss tell them you dont want paying out a measly amount and to get it repaired and give it back.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Graham I do hope you get a decent payout you do not deserve to be out of pocket maybe you could get some idea of value retail from dealers and do not forget all the things you may have added over the years you will need on a new van

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nah, no good for us seeing as we haven't got a 'oss ::bigsmile:
but with your insurance payout you could fence off your back garden, build a stable and buy an 'oss. :thumb:

Mmm! nowt left to buy an 'oss box with though :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure whether that's thinking out of the (horse) box or you're training to be a Nutter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think there can only be one possible reply actually Graham.............

Wibble...................

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Graham, whatever you do, don't go the Rapido route, you'll be locked into the NUT HOUSE for ever.

Bugger all wrong with RAPIDO good vans :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
What I done when I had my motorbike written off by an overzealous magistrate in a land rover was the following.

Received the inital offer, Laughed, said thank you very much and replied with a photograph advert of
3 similar aged bikes with similar milage and in a similar condition to my written off one and 1 sold bike. (photo shop is great for selling things :winky:)

A reminder that the insurance company were responsible for putting me back in to the position I was in prior to the accident.

A very nice request to say, Should you be able to buy me a replacement bike with the offer you have made of the same spec age etc then I would be happy to look at it and if all was well accept it.

I then received a letter within 21 days with a cheque contained for the value of the middle of the bikes advertised,with a thank you letter.

They love you to do your groundwork, saves them a job.:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Has Graham gone quiet this morning?

Is it because of

Link Removed

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some insurers tend to value the base vehicle and then add on a couple of thousand for the conversion. My 1976 VW Devon was valued as a van for £600 and as a campervan conversion it was £2750.
When you receive the final agreed figure I wonder if you could claim the 'gap' from the other side an 'uninsured loss'?
Good luck and enjoy buying the new van.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Just keep fighting, we had a truck written off after some idiot didn't see a red light and shoved a 18tonner 20' up the road sidewards.......the insurance offered me 3k I pointed out the condition and mileage on the truck and just said I don't want any money replace the truck with the same mileage and condition (which they had no chance of finding) or send me a cheque for 7K.......5 days later I got a cheque for 7K they will try it on.

Good luck

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back