Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Will it make any difference?
Probably not.

Is the money or the will there to make it happen?
Probably not.

Is it a good idea?
Quite possibly.

See answer 1

Repeat to end........................

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The closing date for the petition is 18/1/13 so I guess nothing would happen for well in excess of 12 months at least - all signed up

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What was the outcome of this one ... ?

Broken Link Removed

can't find it on the e petition site ...

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I know nothing of the complexities of such things, just pondering this issue....assuming the main issue is control of mis-use - that is what seems to be at the heart of this.

Where the V5 body type states 'motor caravan', could this not be used to provide a clear classification so car parks etc can clearlly state an acceptable vehicle. The Police and licencing authorities would have a positive indication from this information.

It would help with the arguement about parking on drives (when is a caravan not a caravan) and even give the people being hit by the LEZ something else to argue as an exempt group.

Or am I sitting in a cloud watching pigs flying by....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
signed

if not for any other reason that to hopefully see a debate being brought about on this and sort some of the complexities out!!

BUT - are there enough Motorhomers in the UK to reach the required number for it to be debated?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
BUT - are there enough Motorhomers in the UK to reach the required number for it to be debated?

last estimate I saw was 120,000 registered motor caravans.. so very unlikely..

as I recall the last e-petition was poorly supported.. there just isn't enough people interested.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
as I recall the last e-petition was poorly supported.. there just isn't enough people interested.

Always the case.

I see that this latest petition ends "Or to place the onus to provide on the local authority. " It frustrates me to see that people undermine their requests by simply failing to research and understand the law before they go ahead.

Local authorities already have the power to create "aires" under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, using the exemption at Schedule 1(11). Most do not use that power because they do not have the evidence to show that the investment would be beneficial to the areas they serve. The only way to change that is to provide the evidence to LAs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Where the V5 body type states 'motor caravan', could this not be used to provide a clear classification so car parks etc can clearlly state an acceptable vehicle. The Police and licencing authorities would have a positive indication from this information.
Yes it can - and is used in a number of cases by LAs.

It would help with the arguement about parking on drives (when is a caravan not a caravan)
A "motor caravan" is just the same as a towed caravan as far as legislation (1960 Act) is concerned but possibly not as far as covenants are concerned

and even give the people being hit by the LEZ something else to argue as an exempt group.
That argument was put forward by several individuals and bodies and rejected by Livingstone and, subsequently, by Johnson.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
last estimate I saw was 120,000 registered motor caravans.. so very unlikely..

Any petition will be poorly supported, given the govt and local councils' paranoia regarding so called travellers.
They lack the balls to instigate legislation and enforce it readily.
That being the case I cant see Aires popping up all over the UK.
Also there is the issue of caravanners and tenters to consider.
Are these proposed Aires to be for MHs only, as I understand they are in France?
The discrimination bandwagon would have a field day in this country.

Have signed, but no belief it will happen due to lack of balls where it counts.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Any petition will be poorly supported, given the govt and local councils' paranoia regarding so called travellers.
They lack the balls to instigate legislation and enforce it readily.

Not the case John.

The petition will be poorly supported (just like its several predecessors) because, as Jim pointed out, not enough people are interested.

Speaking from experience, councils generally do not have a paranoia about travellers because they are well aware that travellers hardly ever target council car parks. As has been shown in some areas, when people take the trouble to work with them councils are happy to put in place and enforce the necessary bye laws.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This was nicked from another site..:

European motorhome numbers 2009, from the European Caravan Federation:

Great Britain 138,000

So, if every motorhome owner in the UK was for it and they all signed the petition then the max you could get is 138k possibly x 2 (2 users). The reality will be a lot less, and , in my opinion never going to get to the required 100k.
If I were a spin doctor, I could turn that against the Motorhome owners and suggest there was no 'real' need for Aires.

Some questions/issues.
I can imagine that the vast majority of MH owners would never use an Aire, they would rather go to a proper camp. So the 'need' may not be there.?

The Campsite owners will object and each one could be / will be contested,

Councils would be under pressure to spend the money on the community not on a 'hobby' for a small group of individuals.

The process would drag on for years, planning bla blah, H & S, Risk Assessment etc. Each Council would have to employ an Aires Liaison person, they would need to create an Aires Committee etc..

Aires in this country would no doubt attract the criminal element and that would be a BIG problem.

Unless they were patrolled by the Old Bill on a regular basis, I would not feel that safe.

The Travelling community would use them and that would the thin end of the wedge, would you wish to share with 16 traveller families?

I am not against Aires, I just don't think that this country is capable of supporting them or have the 'mentality' to use them, PROPERLY.

Lastly, I would rather use one in France...

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Signed by all three of us, we all have e mails and uk address,
and enjoy using aires.
Get the whole family to sign it Grandma, Grandad, aunts, uncles and kids.
Bet they all have e mails!!!

Put us on an equal footing with France!!!!
Trying to make Britain better for once, increase our tourist appeal

Try to be more Positive and LESS negative forONCE

regards Steve

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968