How do you get on with your Kindle? (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I like the kindle and find it invaluable when away in the motorhome or off on a flight but, being at home and having just read a rather large Bernard Cornwell that's been sitting in the bookcase for a year, got me yearning for proper books again.

When I'm halfway through a story and begin wondering who's who and what happened 20 years ago I can always flip back and find the answers again with a book, not so easy with a kindle (Jo Nesbo in particular). :Sad:

I suppose it would help if I bothered reading Kindle's info about bookmarks and things but generally I go flying off with the page back button and forward again to my last page but it's far from satisfactory. How do other Kindle funsters cope or do they take in everything they read without having to refer back?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
After using a Kindle for 18 months I now find reading paperbacks a bit 'fiddly'. I could not do without the Kindle, only downside is not being able to pass books on to a good home as easily. I use bookmarks etc and find the most useful feature, apart from portability of course, is the instant look up dictionary.

Rgds
Bill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I adore my Kindle.

Yes there are differences but they don't worry me.

I find touching a button to turn a page easier than turning a page.

I am sure you can do a search for a word or name somehow.

I particularly like the built in dictionary. Click a word and there is its meaning instantly.

Can read in bed without arm ache.

KINDLE ROOLS OK?

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Kindle.. ?

Can't think of a reason to buy one..

I prefer books you can keep on a shelf, write notes on the pages, dedicate to someone or write in the fly leaf where and when you bought .. Books are for keeping, treasuring and perhaps handing on the family or friends.

OK for throw-away trashy dime novels ... so I guess it has it's uses..

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Kindle.. ?

A trifle unfair.

It all depends on your perception of trashy dime novels, but you won't find any on mine........................:winky:
Plus I don't need an RV to carry around my book collection.

Have you owned/used a Kindle?
If not, surely you cannot comment with any authority on one.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I agree Jim. Nothing like turning the first page in a new book and the satisfaction of seeing how far into it you've got.
I should think kindles are like computer monitors and give you a headache after a while.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
On Sandy's he has Aesop's Fables and Homer's Iliad among others. Apart from the fact that he won't read these, some people would. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love my kindle. Much prefer it to a book.

But I can see that if you love the feel of an actual book then there cannot be a substitute.

I bought the Pacific last night for 99p as a result of a recommendation on here.Then bought another for £4.99 written by one of the soldiers featured in the book .

My wife bought me The Pacific 10 DVD series for Xmas and I watched it over a few nights last week. Excellent I thought.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had my Kindle for just over a year now and Jill has had her Samsung for slightly longer. We both would not be without the.

Apart from the convenience when going away in the van I've found that I've read a far wider number of authors simply because they are available via Amazon, Smashwords &c when shops have a much more restricted choice.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I have one and wouldn't be without it now, particularly for the reasons JJ gives.

HOWEVER, I also agree with much of what Jim says. I love books, the feel of them, the smell, I like writing margin notes and all the other stuff.

The answer - simples - I have both.

:thumb:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Why can we not continue to enjoy all forms of the written media....tree books, local and national newspapers, magazines etc., etc? The Kindle is just another (very) convenient tool enjoyed by millions of users world wide and I have read nowhere that book books are under threat or are destined to disappear from bookshelves...commercial or personal ones. So, to those who already own one do not fret about Luddite attitudes and to those who judge without knowledge..... try one first, for there is more to it than just an e-reader.
My wife has an arthritic problem which makes holding a tree book difficult....with a Kindle the world of books is hers again and she would not be without it now.

Regards, Bryan.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Kindle.. ?

Can't think of a reason to buy one..

I prefer books you can keep on a shelf, write notes on the pages, dedicate to someone or write in the fly leaf where and when you bought .. Books are for keeping, treasuring and perhaps handing on the family or friends.

For "Houseys" maybe Jim...

I am a vanner... a few hundred books would fill all my storage space... where would I put my Fray Bentos Pies...

You can write notes, dedicate the Kindle to someone and record on it where and when you bought the book if you so choose...

JJ :Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I love my kindle. Much prefer it to a book.

But I can see that if you love the feel of an actual book then there cannot be a substitute.

[HI]I bought the Pacific last night for 99p as a result of a recommendation on here.Then bought another for £4.99 written by one of the soldiers featured in the book .[/HI]

My wife bought me The Pacific 10 DVD series for Xmas and I watched it over a few nights last week. Excellent I thought.

and had it delivered into your hands in seconds without you leaving your chair...

and if you own a Kindle you are not banned from those glorious second hand book shops where you can browse happily for hours...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If not, surely you cannot comment with any authority on one.

just my opinion. but then, I don't need to eat dog to know I don't want to.

I understand the benefits for travelling , space and payload saving, plus the benefit of being able to download abroad..

It's a bit like smart phones, I have one but it's a waste of time, I don't use it or see a use for most of it's features... again, great for travelling or if you like to pose and have the latest gadget ...

Seems to me people buy gadgets then look for a use for them and try to justify the cost ... rather than heaving a need for it. Cart before horse.

Each to their own.. and if it keeps Amazons coffers full .. can't be a bad thing.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I understand the benefits for travelling , space and payload saving, plus the benefit of being able to download abroad..

It's a bit like smart phones, I have one but it's a waste of time, I don't use it or see a use for most of it's features... again, great for travelling or if you like to pose and have the latest gadget ...

Seems to me people buy gadgets then look for a use for them and try to justify the cost ... rather than heaving a need for it. Cart before horse.

Each to their own.. and if it keeps Amazons coffers full .. can't be a bad thing.

I agree on the iphone front. I have one but dont really need it.

I get it through work so it doesnt cost me anything but I wouldnt personally pay for one.

The ipad though is a different matter.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well I love mine and as someone else said now read a much greater variety of authors because of the ease of access would'nt be without it. Still read the occasional books but certainly won't be buying anymore its Kindle all the way from now on.:thumb::thumb:
Oh and definatly don't have to have or be seen with the latest gadget.:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I don't need a computer... lived happily without one for decades... but if I didn't have one now, I wouldn't be able to study and learn from your pearls of wisdom Jim, would I?

Is that "Bull before the Bulls***t?" I wonder... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When I'm halfway through a story and begin wondering who's who and what happened 20 years ago I can always flip back

It's Paper 1 : Digital 0 here I'm afraid.

I found this ages ago when suppliers moved from paper catalogues to CDs and then to www. Trying to choose from similar parts on different pages, easy peasy with a paper catalogue a pain in the bum with digital.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On Sandy's he has Aesop's Fables and Homer's Iliad among others. Apart from the fact that he won't read these, some people would. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

I've got those and Einstein's Theory of Relativity on my tablet. Not to read but sure as hell looks impressive if anyone looks at the contents.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I love books, I have a vast collection that anyone who has been to my house could not have failed to see:Smile: But I love the kindle, one of the best gadgets invented in years, Makes sense for motorhomers and payload, but not only that, desperate for a read abroad I have been stuck on sites with the horrible paperback swop where its just Danielle Steel or Jackie Collins or bought paperbacks at hardback prices from the tourist shops,:Eeek: With the kindle you are never more than a click away from the best bookshop in the world. I also love the sample feature, where I can freely sample the first few chapters of a book before I buy, saves me a lot of time, I used to sample books stood there in in WH Smiths, getting in everyones way::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For "Houseys" maybe Jim...

I am a vanner... a few hundred books would fill all my storage space... where would I put my Fray Bentos Pies...

You can write notes, dedicate the Kindle to someone and record on it where and when you bought the book if you so choose...

Yes, I acknowledged the benefits for travellers JJ . If I was still living in a tin box I could be tempted... but now in a lovely house, with a bookshelf and all modern comforts .... nah.. no thanks..

Just last week I bought the Larrson trilogy from Amazon in tree media .. and it cost little more than the Kindle version which , correct me if I'm wrong.. you don't actually own.. you have it on license .. same as software.. it's not yours to copy, or do as you please.

I have books and maps passed on from may dad.. full of notes, where he went, camped etc, I'll add to this and pass on to one of my sons.. can a Kindle do this.. mmm you might be lucky if it's still around in ten years .. certainly won't be in 100 .. can you imagine walking into a library and finding no books.. only kindles. :roflmto:

Anyway.. as I said, each to their own.. and there is room for both medias ..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I read and cringe at mention of writing margin notes annotating etc sacrilege defacing books should be a law against it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are Luddites immortal...?

Do they live forever or are they reborn in different life forms? :ROFLMAO:

resorting to name calling is a sign of defeat JJ ..

enjoy your Kindle and pies.. I'll buy proper books and eat fresh thanks.. :winky:

PS.. can you use a Kindle under a wonky table leg ?

hmm thought not .. :restmycase:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I love my Kindle. and find it much easier to read than a book, as page turning is easier, there is no risk of losing your place, even if as I sometimes do, I am reading several books at the same time. It will always take you to the page you were last on. As I am a spectacle wearer I increase the font size so I can comfortably read without my glasses (try that with a book :Smile:).

I have around 1.000 books in hard and paperback in my study at home and they take up a lot of space (6 large, tall bookcases) and I periodically have to have a clearout, whereas my 'depositary' of Kindle books is around 15,000 mainly free or very cheap and takes up no space at all. The Kindle itself will hold around 1,000+ books and takes up almost no space or weight in the van.

I have just bought Shirley one as an 'unbirthday' present so I can free up a locker in the van currently full of her books.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back