'thing' lurking in wardrobe ........... (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Found a box of tricks in the wardrobe today - never noticed it before as SWMBO has stacks of clothes in there which she doesn't like touched :RollEyes: - anyway, taking advantage of her visit to her Mum's for a couple of weeks I set about thoroughly investigating 'Delyth's' electrics.
The ehu socket is on the outside and the cable comes out below the wardrobe, behind the Truma ... at the back of the cupboard is a plastic 'box' about 10/12 inches long, 6 inches top to bottom and about 3 inches deep, opaque white, with a double grey plastic switch in the centre (one half of the double switch has 'Weber SA168 ~400v' on it, the right hand half has -2 and a sort of double switch symbol on it. The switch, in 2 parts operates as one. Above the switch is a sticky paper label with 'hebel oben an' handwritten on it.

1) Can any German speakers confirm what 'hebel oben an' means? (On?)
2) Has anyone any idea why a light would be seen through the casing? I only saw this light shining once, can't reproduce it now neither by operating the breaker switch (which turns off the ehu) nor by unplugging the ehu...

BTW, it seems to be a light inside the casing as opposed to something smouldering or worse :Eeek:

Thanks for any info from anyone with a similar installation!! (early 90s German)

:thumb:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like the mains distribution box to me

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, lever up = on is the one. Just checked again, it does switch ehu off so yes it's just the ehu distribution box it would seem. I was initially hunting around for the battery charger but got sidetracked when I saw the light shining through the casing ... :RollEyes: ... it hasn't lit up since which is a puzzle ...

:thumb: Thanks!

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Yes, lever up = on is the one. Just checked again, it does switch ehu off so yes it's just the ehu distribution box it would seem. I was initially hunting around for the battery charger but got sidetracked when I saw the light shining through the casing ... :RollEyes: ... it hasn't lit up since which is a puzzle ...

:thumb: Thanks!

have a look tomorrow it could have been the sun shining into the hook up socket.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
have a look tomorrow it could have been the sun shining into the hook up socket.

Dammit what a good idea :ROFLMAO: - had sun for the 1st time in weeks yesterday - back to normal today, rain & dull and no light. Can't see why there should be a light inside the box :whatthe:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can take the casing off these, take power off just in case, but no reason to fry yourself - but best advise to remove power sources first!

Underneath the distribution unit, you will see a selection of wires going in. The black ones are the 12v circuit, the (usuallly white) ones are the mains 240. It will make sense once the cover is removed!

The chrager will not be behind there, usually above and to the right of that box. However, the input for the charger will.

If it is an import, you make have to use the above info 'loosely', as they do vary as to who has converted them - german vehicles do rely heavily on mains hookup, so don't expect to find the 'usual' systems there!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Thinking outside the box could it not be a device for reverse polarity? I had one on my Hymer which swapped the polarity if the detctor indicated so. Maybe plug in on of the plug top detectors or connect a multimeter and see if the switch operation does any thing.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had a bit of spare time today which allowed me to remove all SWMBO's paraphernalia from the wardrobe ...

... the plastic box does indeed cover the ehu bits & bobs. No sign of a light today whether switched on or off :thumb:.

But - another question! I took the wardrobe bottom out which revealed a large space behind the Truma, hoping to find some sort of charger. No luck. Searched in all the likely places and a few unlikely ones.

There must be some sort of charger somewhere as the MH hasn't been modified since new by all accounts, and the batteries always seem well-charged - and certainly not by the 60w s/panel we have at the moment surely, especially considering the recent & current grim weather :Sad:.

Any ideas from owners of 'elderly German mhs' on possible hiding places and what the charger may look like? Behind the plastic case in the wardrobe are just a couple of junction-box type things neither of which are chargers.

I was wondering if it may be behind the vinyl cover between the underneath of the dash and the footwell (fastened with popstuds). t'would seem an odd place for it though and there don't seem to be any cables heading in that direction. The leisure battery is in a well behind the passenger seat and is just big enough for the battery...

Thanks again for any ideas!! :thumb:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Another possibility is under one of the front seats, thats where it was on my old Dethleffs. It's usually somewhere near the leisure battery to keep the wiring short.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it will either be a big plastic thing with loads of wires coming out of it (electroblock style)
or it will be a perforated metal box with mains in (probably hard wired) and the battery leads out. it will probably function as a power supply for some of the 12 volt systems also.

as has been said before it could be anywhere.
some of the old zig units had the charger built into the control panel so it could be there and more so if you have a mains switch on the panel like the older caravans had.

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
perhaps the bulb has blown so now doesn't light up :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a bit of spare time today which allowed me to remove all SWMBO's paraphernalia from the wardrobe ...

... the plastic box does indeed cover the ehu bits & bobs. No sign of a light today whether switched on or off :thumb:.

But - another question! I took the wardrobe bottom out which revealed a large space behind the Truma, hoping to find some sort of charger. No luck. Searched in all the likely places and a few unlikely ones.

There must be some sort of charger somewhere as the MH hasn't been modified since new by all accounts, and the batteries always seem well-charged - and certainly not by the 60w s/panel we have at the moment surely, especially considering the recent & current grim weather :Sad:.

Any ideas from owners of 'elderly German mhs' on possible hiding places and what the charger may look like? Behind the plastic case in the wardrobe are just a couple of junction-box type things neither of which are chargers.

I was wondering if it may be behind the vinyl cover between the underneath of the dash and the footwell (fastened with popstuds). t'would seem an odd place for it though and there don't seem to be any cables heading in that direction. The leisure battery is in a well behind the passenger seat and is just big enough for the battery...

Thanks again for any ideas!! :thumb:
If you cant find a charger of any description can I buy your batteries.......sounds like they are everlasting and never need charging :roflmto:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:Doh: Sussed it! We have a Calira Bordcontrol 804 (apparently forerunner to the 'Electroblock'), which sits in the dash above the radio and incorporates circuit breakers, 12v switch,charging-light,tank level guages, battery guages etc. I've found out that behind this panel lurks a 'Calira EVS 15/12' - it would appear this is the charger....... :whistle:

ps.: sorry, I'll be hanging onto the batteries for the time being! :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Doh: Sussed it! We have a Calira Bordcontrol 804 (apparently forerunner to the 'Electroblock'), which sits in the dash above the radio and incorporates circuit breakers, 12v switch,charging-light,tank level guages, battery guages etc. I've found out that behind this panel lurks a 'Calira EVS 15/12' - it would appear this is the charger....... :whistle:

ps.: sorry, I'll be hanging onto the batteries for the time being! :roflmto:
bugger....would have given you a tenner each for them :cry:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class