A word of warning (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I know a lot of Funsters use oil filled radiators in their Motorhomes during the winter months, but
A Warning to those that do!!!

We have gas central heating at home but as we mostly live in the kitchen diner, the room gets really hot so we turn the heating off.

My son usually goes to his room when he comes home from work and has an oil filled electric radiator to keep his room warm.

I must admit he always forgets to turn it off and it can be on sometimes for days on end.

Anyway, yesterday morning it started making clicking noises and he turned it off and then went to the bathroom.

When he went back into his room the radiator was completely ablaze and the room full of smoke.

He managed to put the fire out but had he of just gone to work as usual then we would not have known until the fire had completely taken hold.

We do have smoke detector but only in the kitchen.

I also had an oil filled radiator in my motorhome on the drive and have used one for several years.

I have now turned off the electric radiator in the motorhome for fear that it may self ignite like the one in my son's room.

Just thought I would let you guys know of the dangers.

I do not know if there is any way of checking them but the one in my sons room was working fine until it self ignited.

So beware.:whatthe:

Lesley

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry to read this Lesley... glad it was spotted in time..

We do use one in the RV when we are at home (New Delongi) .. will have second thoughts now..

Just out of curiosity how old was yours and what make.. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow, glad everything turned out OK. As far as space heaters go i would have thought the oil filled ones were the safest. Is there a chance it was leaking leaking oil?

OP
OP
lesleyjean

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Mo

It was a crown 7 fin oil filled radiator and was about two to three years old.

OP
OP
lesleyjean

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Wow, glad everything turned out OK. As far as space heaters go i would have thought the oil filled ones were the safest. Is there a chance it was leaking leaking oil?
No oil leak at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Very lucky escape.. glad no one was injured .. or a more serious fire

The most likely cause is a faulty thermostat, the clicking you heard may have been it failing ..

Failure will result in either the heater not heating or.. overheating to a dangerous level.. and possible catching fire.

I did a bit of a Google to see if this was an issue on any particular brand .. found this recall in the States for a model made in China (as many are)

Link Removed

Malfunctioning oil heaters can pose a fire hazard.The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 house fires annually are associated with space heaters.

I also recall a thread about oil filled heaters and that some have a safety instruction that they shouldn't be left unattended ..

My advice is only to buy reputable UK brands such as Delonghi .. but again.. read the instructions .. and don't leave unattended if that advice is given.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Very lucky escape for you and the house.

On smoke detectors, we installed hard wired alarms into every room when we renovated our old bungalow but were told by the building inspector that we should remove the kitchen one as it would trigger too often. After 3 months we agreed with him, opening the oven door on a roast, chip pan, toaster, would all set it off so we rely on the one in the corridor just outside the kitchen. Even that goes off when we burn the toast. Perhaps you have a battery alarm and they are less sensitive?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We too have a lot of smoke detectors eight in all, in every room bar the kitchen. Please get some more.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We had one in our conservatory years ago, before I plumbed one of the heating. Periodically I got a wiff of electrical burning but couldn't isolate the source, until one day it started and smoke then started rising out of the oil filled rad:Eeek:

No where near as dramatic as yours, switched off and all OK. Me being me, I took it appart and what was melting and starting to burn was a terminal block, choclate block type. Screws tight but it didn't visually look up to the task (current).

We stopped buying cheap one's after that.

Glad all's OK in the end for you though:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Very lucky escape for you and the house.

On smoke detectors, we installed hard wired alarms into every room when we renovated our old bungalow but were told by the building inspector that we should remove the kitchen one as it would trigger too often. After 3 months we agreed with him, opening the oven door on a roast, chip pan, toaster, would all set it off so we rely on the one in the corridor just outside the kitchen. Even that goes off when we burn the toast. Perhaps you have a battery alarm and they are less sensitive?

We also have a hard wired mains powered fire detectors. Smoke detector in the hall and a heat detector in the kitchen .. they are fitted as a pair .. obviously no batteries to go flat and no false alarms.
You should be able to change the smoke head for a heat.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
On smoke alarms folks, B&Q sell, as I'm sure others do, Fireangel smoke detectors, typical battery (9volt) type, advantages, toaster freindly and the test button will also mute for 10 minutes, well apparently it desensitises the unit for 10 miunutes if you do set it off, Wife has managed once opening the oven, AND, they are rated for use in caravans, MH etc, and not dear either:thumb:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
heaters

So Sorry to read about your heater problem:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.