Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Quote: Toyota Prius Camper Van Might Be The Most Ridiculous Thing Ever

What do you think ?

toyota_prius_camper_van_3.jpg

We’ve seen a lot of strange things come out of Japan’s aftermarket over the years, but this might be the most ridiculous thing yet. Campinn, a Japanese aftermarket company, specializes in camper conversions and apparently thought Toyota Prius owners would have a demand for such a thing.

We guess there’s a remote possibility that someone that owns a Prius would be interested in something like this, but given that the conversion adds over 20-inches to the length of the car and 22-inches to the height, we’re guessing all aerodynamic tweaks Toyota made to make the Prius as fuel efficient as possible has gone out the window. The massive structure is made from reinforced plastic, and we reckon that it isn’t light, further killing the mpg the Prius is made for.

But those that are interested in giving their Prius a whole new world of versatility also has some options available to them. The Prius’s back seats can drop down to make enough space for a double bed while the top compartment can also house another double bed. If that wasn’t enough, you can add a retractable coffee table or side sofa to your Prius camper van.

We never thought those three words would be used legitimately in the same sentence. Prius. Camper. Van. Sigh.

more pictures http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/aftermarket/campinn/toyota_prius_camper_van/toyota_prius_camper_van_1.jpg.html

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]We guess[/HI] there’s a remote possibility that someone that owns a Prius would be interested in something like this, but given that the conversion adds over 20-inches to the length of the car and 22-inches to the height, [HI]we’re guessing[/HI] all aerodynamic tweaks Toyota made to make the Prius as fuel efficient as possible has gone out the window. The massive structure is made from reinforced plastic, and [HI]we reckon[/HI] that it isn’t light, further killing the mpg the Prius is made for.

So they haven't actually run any tests by the looks of it. Wouldn't be connected to the :dm: would they? :Smile:

The vehicle doesn't look all that different from the likes of the Berlingo conversions produced by a number of manufacturers and they seem to be popular enough.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
A similar type of conversion to the ones Barry Stimpson used to do on the Renault 5 and Clio.
Looks like a gown van,could have some appeal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I may have missed it but I cannot see a cooker,sink or fridge any where so it cannot be classed as a camper ::bigsmile:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The Japs are great at copying ideas and improving things but design is not what they do well

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]So they haven't actually run any tests by the looks of it.[/HI]

hmm.. by the 'looks' of it I don't need test results..

I think it is an abomination ..

I like ..nah, love the Jap PVCs .. they are very well kitted out and well made, but this defies logic .. it just looks plain wrong. For that reason .. :thumbdown:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Why it is a bad idea ::bigsmile: BATTERY'S who wants to buy a car that every 5/6 yrs you are going to have to but £5000 worth of battery power.You may well save on fuel but even that is debatable because there are lots of diesel cars around that do higher MPG.Would you buy a second hand PRIUS ?OK if you buy new and change your car after a few yrs but the battery bank replacement would stick in my mind.
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why it is a bad idea ::bigsmile: BATTERY'S who wants to buy a car that every 5/6 yrs you are going to have to but £5000 worth of battery power.You may well save on fuel but even that is debatable because there are lots of diesel cars around that do higher MPG.Would you buy a second hand PRIUS ?OK if you buy new and change your car after a few yrs but the battery bank replacement would stick in my mind.
terry

you need to think out of the box Terry :winky:

slap a couple solar panels on the roof and you travel free.. :thumb:

:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
you need to think out of the box Terry :winky:

slap a couple solar panels on the roof and you travel free.. :thumb:

:ROFLMAO:

Not with the Pruis Jim it has a 1500 cc petrol engine that kicks in unless you are crawling around avg mpg around 65mpg--not that good considering :cry:That's why they lease the battery pack on some---Battery tec has got to improve a lot before we see lots of leccy cars
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back