Screeching noise when I start the engine? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi,

Proud owner of my first motorhome. Van is in storage and when I go to start it up there is a screeching noise and rattle which goes after about 30 seconds.

Would that be the fan belt slipping? if so do I need to take it to a garage to get it looked at?

Cheers

Bob

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Not sure on the ratle but the screach is quite possibly the alternator belt slipping. You may get away with tightening it but if it has been doing it for a while it would be better to change it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Yes, sounds like alternator belt.
Rattle could be alternator bearings or something as simple as a loose belt guide or even a viscose fan that is worn.
If you aren't confident enough to look at it yourself I would recommend that you get it looked at asap. If it is the fan on the way out, they don't half make a mess when they let go.
In any case, the belt needs attention by the sound of it.

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
1 you aint got a viscose fan so forget that:thumb:
2 as you have no fan,it wont be the fan belt:RollEyes:
3 it's your altanator belt that is screaching:thumb:
4 your altanator belt needs tightning or replaceing:thumb:
5 the rattleing that you hear is a diesel starting on a very cold morning:thumb:
6 dont panic:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
1 you aint got a viscose fan so forget that:thumb:
2 as you have no fan,it wont be the fan belt:RollEyes:
3 it's your altanator belt that is screaching:thumb:
4 your altanator belt needs tightning or replaceing:thumb:
5 the rattleing that you hear is a diesel starting on a very cold morning:thumb:
6 dont panic:ROFLMAO:

I'll go along with no. 1 cos I don't know if it has or not, just a suggestion, but I did think that all vehicle engines had some sort of fan (even if it is electric) to cool the engine when there is insufficient air flow to do it. ie not moving in traffic.
As to diesel rattle, yeah, my landrover does that and I DO panic. I know I have no need to, but I'm a born worrier. :helpsos: :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I'll go along with no. 1 cos I don't know if it has or not, just a suggestion, but I did think that all vehicle engines had some sort of fan (even if it is electric) to cool the engine when there is insufficient air flow to do it. ie not moving in traffic.
As to diesel rattle, yeah, my landrover does that and I DO panic. I know I have no need to, but I'm a born worrier. :helpsos: :Doh:
well spotted! it has an electric fan:thumb:
my diesel vecta rattles on these cold mornings:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyclewalkbob
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, the van is literally 3 months old. and it did not make the noise when it was first bought (in the dry) so wondered if it the fan/alternator belt might be wet and slipping? The rattle is not like a diesel engine start up - have a diesel car, more like something is loose/rattleing as if the engine was shaking it - bit like a mudguard on a bike when you have it not on straight.

Best take it in for a check - under warranty!!!!!

thanks again

bob

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, the van is literally 3 months old. and it did not make the noise when it was first bought (in the dry) so wondered if it the fan/alternator belt might be wet and slipping? The rattle is not like a diesel engine start up - have a diesel car, more like something is loose/rattleing as if the engine was shaking it - bit like a mudguard on a bike when you have it not on straight.

Best take it in for a check - under warranty!!!!!

thanks again

bob

Yes, please get it checked, then I can stop worrying :thumb: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back