Oh Dear - Frozen taps!!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Have just gone to warm the Motorhome for a trip out tonight an found icicles hanging out of the taps.:Doh:
Water in tank is ok and boiler dump valve was open so hopefully no damage there. Put blown air on full and oil filled radiator on high. Have put oven on as well as pipes run behind it to sink.
Will give it a couple of hours and see what damage (if any) has been done.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Phew.....all thawed out and working now....just need to find somewhere to stay tonight and we are away.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Phew.....all thawed out and working now..

Maybe. I didn't find out frost damage 'till later when I heard this "drip drip" when taking a shower. Shower valve blow apart, but repairable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Brian - went to local CS Site Saturday Night and all seems ok. No suspicious dripping noises!
Drained all down yesterday on our return.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Your experiences support my recent efforts despite the fact that there will be lots of members thinking ‘ In 25 years I’ve never done that’ etc., BUT the Management gave me a Floë Retro-fit Motorhome Combo drain down kit for Christmas and I’ve finally completed the “easy” fitting.
I drained down in the usual way before Christmas, including the boiler, pump (I hate running it dry, can’t be good for it) and filter. But there’s always been some gurgling despite that, even after a run round the block to clear the fresh and waste tanks. But with the Floë fitted I’ve pumped, or rather blown about another litre out of the system! It was only a cupful from the kitchen tap, but the rest came from the rear bathroom basin, farthest away from the oil radiator which we use to keep the frost out (yes, I know, many of you just leave it all untouched and have never had a problem). But if that 1 litre, less the cupful, was all in the same bit of pipe, and the way that it came out suggests that it was, then it could have done some damage if it had frozen. We live in in an area prone to occasional very low temps.
Of course, it wasn’t as easy to fit as their video suggests. We would have an Autotrail (2008) with continental 15mm pipework, wouldn’t we? And the Floë is intended for the more normal 12mm. Floë sell a conversion kit, but I thought that I would save time and money and pop down to my local MH shop. Both of them as it turned out! Three trips and eight parts later, I had amassed a length of 12mm pipe, 5 male to female reducers and a fine pair of female to female reducers (one of the latter was as a spare ….. just in case.) All in all it’s taken several days, what with the three trips of 18 miles each and fitting it in with other jobs.
Finally I connected the compressor to pump it up to the 15psi required. I couldn’t get beyond 8psi…….I had a leak. Having tightened up all the joints I tried again. Aha! 10psi!..... Still not enough. I removed one of the Whale male to female reducers and reinstated some 15mm pipe with the spare female to female reducer (good job I blew an extra £3.50 on the spare!). Bingo! 15psi and out came over a litre of water. Not sure if the Floë conversion kit would have been any better, as it uses the same type of connector as the Whale fitting that I discarded.
So quite a hassle to fit it then, and an extra few pounds expended (approx £12) but it took just 10 mins to clear the pipes once fitted. Now we can refill at anytime when we want to nip off for a few days this winter, empty the tanks and pipework on site before coming home and then clear the remnants in 10mins when we get home. So I’m glad that I’ve done it, I can relax in the coldest weather, there’ll be no more blowing down taps (so my neck will not suffer!) and far less running the pump when dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back