boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hey! Is it not possible to just take off and see where life leads you, rather than always having to book into sites??? I know August might be difficult or bank hols but apart from that, what's the general idea??

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We sold up and went a year ago ... ended up in all sorts of weird places ... ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
[HI]Hey! Is it not possible to just take off and see where life leads you, rather than always having to book into sites??? [/HI] I know August might be difficult or bank hols but apart from that, what's the general idea??

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...​

Over twenty years full timing in the UK and all over Europe and the only "official" sites I have stayed on have, all bar two or three, been for Fun related meets.

If you are a "official site" only motorhomer it might be different in the busy times and I can't offer any help here.

But as an "offsite motorhomer" when on the road I follow this procedure...

As fatigue approaches I start looking for a suitable stopping place. If it is on a route I have travelled before I may head for one specific location I already know, otherwise I choose a place as I come upon it. True this method sometimes mean a quick sleepover in a less than perfect spot but if I want to have a proper, restful stop I start looking earlier in the day.

When travelling I always keep an eye out for good places that might be used in the future.

Many, many times I have pulled in for a night and found the place so nice that I have stayed a few more nights....

I could never be one of those who plan each night in advance... to me the whole point of a motorhome is the freedom and spontaneity it affords...

JJ. :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
As a family we set off for Europe for six weeks each summer, never book anything
in advance except ferry out and back. We normaly use Aires and Wild camp for most
of the time. We did last year subscribe to France passion and found it a very
useful and enjoyable experience when we used it. We also bought Espania Discovery
which works on the same principal, but found it less useful as the available places to stay
were much fewer, and pocketed into certain areas.
We also visited Devon and Cornwall last year for 2 weeks again staying off sites.

Do as we do, get up in the morning look which direction seems to be sunniest and set
of that way, go as far as you feel like, stop anywhere you fancy, when you want too.
Enjoy your Holiday thats what matters.

Regards
Steve

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We sort of point the van and go where it takes us in the general direction of wherever, but there's no need to actually ever get to wherever. We'll see a sign to eg a lake, a beach, an hysterical monument. Then you get to whatever it is and whilst there you note from some tourist info there's some caverns, a waterfall, a marvellous clock in the vicinity - so you go and have a look at that.

And while you are there ........

And you land up in the opposite direction to where you thought you were going and suddenly you have only 48 hours till the ferry back is leaving ..... and you are 3 days away from it .... :ROFLMAO:

What is this 'sites' you speak of?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have a bit of a strange way of doing it, we like to plan where we are making for this year Marjal, book a signal ferry because we never know when we are coming back

Get there,(where ever) then take a month or three slowly making our way back, a few camping cheques / ASCI card / Aires/Wild camping what every takes our fancy.

As you get on the road the other Motorhomers you meet along the way are nearly always willing to pass on places to stay.

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
We sort of point the van and go where it takes us in the general direction of wherever, but there's no need to actually ever get to wherever. We'll see a sign to eg a lake, a beach, an hysterical monument. Then you get to whatever it is and whilst there you note from some tourist info there's some caverns, a waterfall, a marvellous clock in the vicinity - so you go and have a look at that.

And while you are there ........

And you land up in the opposite direction to where you thought you were going and suddenly you have only 48 hours till the ferry back is leaving ..... and you are 3 days away from it .... :ROFLMAO:

What is this 'sites' you speak of?
m

I've not even had my maiden voyage yet, and trying to work it all out in my head! I'd be concerned that my loo might need emptying, and I might need water, if I werent near a site??? those sort of things???

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Do you pitch up anywhere then? In the UK?

Cant imagine the local authoritys would even allow you to park at the side of a road all night. Would they?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
m

I've not even had my maiden voyage yet, and trying to work it all out in my head! I'd be concerned that my loo might need emptying, and I might need water, if I werent near a site??? those sort of things???

Maybe you will be happier to "dip your toe in the water first" rather than jump straight in... Book into a few sites and learn some of the ropes. Maybe you will never want to "off-site" park.

I empty my loo (biological, not nasty blue chemical) in public toilets. If I feel a bit embarrassed because there are a lot of people about I slip the cassette into a bin bag and no one knows what you are carrying!. (I have heard of a guy who made an executive style case on wheels that his cassette fitted into and he would happily wheel it through the lobbies of posh hotels and use their loos!)...

...I pick up water from garages when fuelling and all sorts of other places... I am told cemeteries always have taps although I have never used one yet...

I feel sure you will slowly grow in confidence as you discover what works best for you...

JJ :Cool:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
m

You can always find water(garages, supermarkets, Pubs, public Toilets, etc.)
Same goes for emptying toilet.
We Buy Bottle Water in Europe, even her in the Uk we fill a seperate 5Litre bottle for cooking and drinking , we only use the vans water tank for washing us and dishes.
Join something like http://www.britstops.com/ although officially no services are provided
you will normally find the people helpful.

Do like i do empty and fill at every convenient opportunity dont wait till its too late and the waters empty or the toilets full.

If you wait till you have sorted it all out in your head, you could be dead by then!!!!

Regards
Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Cant imagine the local authoritys would even allow you to park at the side of a road all night. Would they?
no secret to parking at the side of the road, cars etc do it all the time and once the curtains are drawn no one knows you are in there anyway. If you only stay one night there is no tijme for any local authority to find out and come aknocking at your door. We do it all the time. We also use public loos as much as possible and a cassette last the two of us a week. Water a bit longer. We carry a hose or two, adapters, watering can and even in public loos you can fill the watering can using a cup if it is a shallow sink and no way to fit a hose. Water really is not a problem. bottled water from a stream will flush the WC if you really need to economise.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone can hold a Radar key (for the Radar, lockable, disabled loos).

They can be bought from Fleabay. Only a couple of quid.

We have an ordinary shopping trolley big enough for the cassette to fit into. Then we are just shoppers visiting the loo. Makes it more private and we can rinse thoroughly, even clean up if we splash.

June

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

True, but fortunatly there is only 21 miles to a more enlightened attitude to motor homes.

Doug...

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp

I dont know yet! Its all a BIG learning curve for me! I just didnt fancy having to pre arrange it all, would rather just float???

Just dont know what's feasible and what isnt yet.....

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
no secret to parking at the side of the road, cars etc do it all the time and once the curtains are drawn no one knows you are in there anyway. If you only stay one night there is no tijme for any local authority to find out and come aknocking at your door. We do it all the time. We also use public loos as much as possible and a cassette last the two of us a week. Water a bit longer. We carry a hose or two, adapters, watering can and even in public loos you can fill the watering can using a cup if it is a shallow sink and no way to fit a hose. Water really is not a problem. bottled water from a stream will flush the WC if you really need to economise.

Gosh! I'm amazed to hear the cassette lasts two of you a week! and your water tank even longer!! See! I've got to try all this out yet!! She's all ready for my maiden voyage!! thanks for taking the trouble to repy!

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
You can always find water(garages, supermarkets, Pubs, public Toilets, etc.)
Same goes for emptying toilet.
We Buy Bottle Water in Europe, even her in the Uk we fill a seperate 5Litre bottle for cooking and drinking , we only use the vans water tank for washing us and dishes.
Join something like http://www.britstops.com/ although officially no services are provided
you will normally find the people helpful.

Do like i do empty and fill at every convenient opportunity dont wait till its too late and the waters empty or the toilets full.

If you wait till you have sorted it all out in your head, you could be dead by then!!!!

Regards
Steve
Sound advice, thanks. No I wont wait.......but she's all drained down at the mo, for winter and I'm workin it all out prior to maiden voyage!! its not easy on your own!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Gosh! I'm amazed to hear the cassette lasts two of you a week! and your water tank even longer!! See! I've got to try all this out yet!! She's all ready for my maiden voyage!! thanks for taking the trouble to repy!

I think Wildman is [STRIKE]constipated[/STRIKE] exaggerating. A toilet cassette does us about 2-3 days at best.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Same for us and the fresh water tank 3 days at most. Can't wait to get off again. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We set off with a general plan and then often adapt it as we go according to what we feel like/what the weather is doing etc. We rarely book anything and use a lot of CL's which suit us fine.In winter/off season we just turn up and it's always OK.In high summer we call ahead around 4ish and sometimes it's OK but if not there is always another one nearby.It's a balance between being relaxed and sensible and doing what feels right for you.I personally wouldn't want to just park by a roadside but if thats feels OK for someone thats fine.
We have often looked at the weather forecast and just said well we were going there but it's better over there! :thumb:

Regards

John and Carole

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As a woman on your own you might be better (more relaxed) with the cl/cs type sites, these are 5 van sites some with ehu but all will have dump and water facilities (usually between £6 and 12 a night) as the uk does not have aire type places, but over the channel its a whole different ball game, Aires specially for camping cars are plentiful with books on them and these usually have water and dump facilities on them for which you pay a couple of euros to use, some are even free and are near towns or villages so its easy to walk for your fresh baked bread of a morning.
I wouldnt like parking up for a night on an industrial estate or layby on my own, i just wouldnt be able to relax and get some sleep

maggie

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
I think Wildman is [STRIKE]constipated[/STRIKE] exaggerating. A toilet cassette does us about 2-3 days at best.

Aha!!! Now I've spent all night planning how I'll carry it into Tesco's in a bag, to empty it!! Itl'll be quite heavy!! and you cant rinse it out in the washbasins coz it wont fit. Need to find a bag big enough to put it in that looks like a shopping bag!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back