Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi we are trying to plan a trip to Lake Garda in July 2012 via Austria - Has anybody got any advice? Things to do, places to stay etc.::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Mike
We did this summer 2010 we went down through Germany then Austria. If this is the way your going let me know and will have a look at my log for the names of campsites that i cant remember.

If you like cars id recommend a day out at the Mercedes Museum in Stuggart there is a campsite with in a mile and a great day out. If you have kids with you id recommend you pop into Nattersee camp site in Innsbruck its expensive but the kids will love the shower block above the reception and so will the wife for that matter, we spent 2 nights here and went to Innsbruck for the day using the bus at the campsite gate.

Our MH is only 6.2m long and we used the Brenner pass (spelling) i think it cost 8euro at the Austria end then 14 at Italian end.

Hope this helps but if you want route and stuff then just ask i will check van

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi we are trying to plan a trip to Lake Garda in July 2012 via Austria - Has anybody got any advice? Things to do, places to stay etc.::bigsmile:

Search on "garda" "retschen" "italian job" "pesciere" "fussen".

Masses of information on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Lake Garda

Hi Gerry

Many thanks for reply, Just the wife and I with 7.0mtr Autotrail. We would appreciate any advice or recommendations, especially sites to stay around Malcesine and in Austria.

Mike

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
lake garda

always wanted to go to lake garda passports just renewed who knows we may go this year

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi MIke

We didnt stay at Malcesine but we did stop for an hour or so as we stayed between Desenzano and Sirmione at the south of the lake. We used the bus and train from there to travel to Venice and Verona for days out.

If your going through Germany might be worth buying the book of Stelplatz its in German but very easy to understand once you have worked out the symbols and stuff. On the way down we stayed at a site in the Town of Bruhle nice wee site with a lake for swimming in nothing fancy but ideal for a night. The next night we spent the night in a stelplatz in Ulm lovely wee city with a tram going from the stelplatz every 15m until late then every 1/2 till midnight i think. Would recommend this town for a stopover some lovely old building with new ones along side..

Once we drove into Austria there where loads of campsites along the route some small towns have been by passed but just go into any of them and you will find a site for the night. Some lovely stopping places with amazing views stopped at one with a cafe and views over moutains and lake cant remember the name have a pic of it just looked at pic its called Zugspitzblick great place to stop for lunch.

As mentioned before we stayed at Nattersee and its the best showers and toilet block i have ever seen has two lakes for swimming and lovely walks with easy access to city where we did a cable car ride also easy drive to Lake Garda from there .

We didnt book any sites in advance apart from our LG one and travelled from Rotterdam

If you would like to see all the pics Mike as they tell a better story i have a facebook with them on it just add me gerry hughes pics of me as wee boy making funny face.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have also been to Natersee lake in Austria, beautiful site and lake, we just had a bike ride from the site we were on, We did stay on a site in Malcesne, only a small site next to some apartments, would be too small for your 7 mtr van.
lake garda is very beautiful, when the sun shines, we were there on a very rainy windy couple of days.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Griff (Popeye) asked the same question via PM last night, here's what I gave him. Possibly doesn't help if you are heading through Austria as we are going via Switzerland as the St. Gothard Tunnel seems the better option for us. We are stuck with the amount of time we can take, so it's the quickest route.

I've not been, but going in April and this is the route we are taking.

Here's my Google Map of it with the stops. It's only showing one way as I'm coming back the same and stopping at the same sites.

http://g.co/maps/s2jym

The following stops are;

A: Calais Ferry Terminal Car Park (we are catching a late night ferry and staying in the car park overnight so that we can get up and go in the morning and already in France)

B: Metz, staying at Camp Municipal Metz-Plage - http://www.tourism-lorraine.com/en/h...s&id=838030250

C: Lucerene, staying at Camping International Lido - http://www.camping-international.ch/...rn_news_e.html

D: Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda, staying at Camping Butterfly - http://www.campingbutterfly.it/index.aspx

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Austria

With a vehicle the size of yours I would guess it weighs over 3.5 tonne. In which case I would avoid Austria as they will insist you buy a "Go-Box", which is a toll system designed for trucks. If using their autobahns the absolute minimum it could cost to simply cross the country by the most direct route would be about 150 euros! I'm not joking. Also, please bear in mind that it is very difficult not to use autobahns in Austria as they have now signed a lot of normal roads as being "unsuitable for vehicles over 3.5 tons". Incidentally, the "Go-Box" staff appear to have been trained by Austria's most famous son!
My advice - just don't go there!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Griff (Popeye) asked the same question via PM last night, here's what I gave him. Possibly doesn't help if you are heading through Austria as we are going via Switzerland as the St. Gothard Tunnel seems the better option for us. We are stuck with the amount of time we can take, so it's the quickest route.

Here's my Google Map of it with the stops. It's only showing one way as I'm coming back the same and stopping at the same sites.

The following stops are;

A: Calais Ferry Terminal Car Park (we are catching a late night ferry and staying in the car park overnight so that we can get up and go in the morning and already in France)

B: Metz, staying at Camp Municipal Metz-Plage - http://www.tourism-lorraine.com/en/h...s&id=838030250

C: Lucerene, staying at Camping International Lido - http://www.camping-international.ch/...rn_news_e.html

D: Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda, staying at Camping Butterfly - http://www.campingbutterfly.it/index.aspx

long time past :shout:since been to lake Garda ( 1977 tugging when i was a squaddie based in Germany ) good memories,:RollEyes: but went there in July so quite crowded as i recal ( but not unpleasant ). whats the weather likely to be like in April / May ? any ideas?:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
whats the weather likely to be like in April / May ? any ideas?:thumb:

For business reasons we have been many time to the area at the end of May and to us Brits it was perfect. We got as far as Rome one year and it was too hot.

PS....

The first time was on the bike in my avatar right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
With a vehicle the size of yours I would guess it weighs over 3.5 tonne. In which case I would avoid Austria as they will insist you buy a "Go-Box", which is a toll system designed for trucks. If using their autobahns the absolute minimum it could cost to simply cross the country by the most direct route would be about 150 euros! I'm not joking. Also, please bear in mind that it is very difficult not to use autobahns in Austria as they have now signed a lot of normal roads as being "unsuitable for vehicles over 3.5 tons". Incidentally, the "Go-Box" staff appear to have been trained by Austria's most famous son!
My advice - just don't go there!

Oh dear - I am over 3.5 tonnes and was considering travelling around a fair bit in Austria - did not think I would have to sell the house to do it. :cry:
But thanks for advice :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
For business reasons we have been many time to the area at the end of May and to us Brits it was perfect. We got as far as Rome one year and it was too hot.

PS....

The first time was on the bike in my avatar right now.

I know nothing about bikes but is that one good for touring? looks like a racer to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know nothing about bikes but is that one good for touring? looks like a racer to me.

One or two were raced but there was a pukka race version. In it's day it was a sports bike but by today's standards more a touring bike and very good it was too. It's an FZ750, a sensible size, pulled two of us all round Europe. It was a bike shop owner's toy, he had it painted in Yamaha works colours for his trip to the TT.

The hotel on Maggiore we kept returning to dubbed us The Mad English. The hotel owner greeted everyone and in our case "The mad English are back", no wonder we fell in love with Italy.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Motorbike touring

One or two were raced but there was a pukka race version. In it's day it was a sports bike but by today's standards more a touring bike and very good it was too. It's an FZ750, a sensible size, pulled two of us all round Europe. It was a bike shop owner's toy, he had it painted in Yamaha works colours for his trip to the TT.

The hotel on Maggiore we kept returning to dubbed us The Mad English. The hotel owner greeted everyone and in our case "The mad English are back", no wonder we fell in love with Italy.

Brian

Looks like you were having fun in the photo. Our bikes of choice for the European tours was a VFR 800 and XJR1300. We got punted off by white van man 1/2 mile from where we live and the wife does not want to play with bikes anymore :Sad:.

Mike

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!

The following stops are;

D: Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda, staying at Camping Butterfly - [URL="http://www.campingbutterfly.it/index.aspx"]http://www.campingbutterfly.it/index.aspx[/URL]

Well that was all sorted, until Camping Butterfly have now come back (after allowing our booking initially) saying that they now cannot accept our booking as they need a minimum of 14 nights! In APRIL? :cry:Annoyed really as they are part of ACSI and it was only going to be 16 Euros per night. Might just turn up instead and see if they'll let us on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well that was all sorted, until Camping Butterfly have now come back (after allowing our booking initially) saying that they now cannot accept our booking as they need a minimum of 14 nights! In APRIL? :cry:Annoyed really as they are part of ACSI and it was only going to be 16 Euros per night. Might just turn up instead and see if they'll let us on.

Look at Camping Cappuccino. More convenient for town.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
That was my original site, but when I realised Butterfly was ACSI I changed it. Next door to Cappucini is Bella Italia. Any idea if they place is ok? They are also part of ACSI.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
That was my original site, but when I realised Butterfly was ACSI I changed it. Next door to Cappucini is Bella Italia. Any idea if they place is ok? They are also part of ACSI.

We did not like the look of Bella Italia, it's very big with lots of pitches and statics crammed in. Residents have to wear a wrist band to gain access to the site, there were security guards at every entrance. I think that you will still have to book for 10-14 days to get ACSI rates there. It will be Camping Cappucini for us next time we visit Peschierra.

Brisey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Stalag Garda. We are talking HUGE. We cycled round it, only took 3 days.

Actually I've no idea what it's like to camp there but it looks a big dismal place.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Craig
We are finding the same - sites will not accept bookings under 14 days in July. What with Go Box in Austria and 14 days minimum in the Italian lakes - we might either now go out of the main summer season (we had a wedding to go to in Malcesine in July) or go somewhere else.
Mike :cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Craig
We are finding the same - sites will not accept bookings under 14 days in July. What with Go Box in Austria and 14 days minimum in the Italian lakes - we might either now go out of the main summer season (we had a wedding to go to in Malcesine in July) or go somewhere else.
Mike :cry:

I can understand July/Aug but not April.

You can just turn up I guess, they won't turn you away if they have empty pitches but we struggled in September. Place was overflowing with Germans. Bella Italia had a lot there but could have taken 1000 more.

Cappuccino is down a back street, that was probably the only reason we got a pitch in September. That and limited facilities for kiddies.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You could try Camping SanFrancesco at Desenzano which although it is a big site with small pitches, it is convenient for Sirmione.
If you are going to go sightseeing, try and locate Annunzio's house on the west side of the lake. We went in 1993 but I can't remember the exact location. He was a poet and an artist who designed his own house - I'm not sure what he was on when he did it, but it must have been good stuff.:winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You could try Camping SanFrancesco at Desenzano which although it is a big site with small pitches, it is convenient for Sirmione.
If you are going to go sightseeing, try and locate Annunzio's house on the west side of the lake. We went in 1993 but I can't remember the exact location. He was a poet and an artist who designed his own house - I'm not sure what he was on when he did it, but it must have been good stuff.:winky:

We stayed here in summer 2010 and although a big site it was very nice and staff excellent if your a member of the caravan club book it with them as they got us a very big discount. We had booked it for 7 nights but arrived at lake Garda 2 days early and tried 22 campsites and couldnt get in this was July so we phoned SanFrancesco and they took us but charged their normal rate and it was expensive 2 nights.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
their normal rate and it was expensive 2 nights.

The main reason we don't go in season, they certainly know how to charge, most sites that is.

Mainly we go to Italy end May beginning of June, weather good, prices good and not too crowded.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. this is the one we do every year on the way through to pastures south..

One site I can highly recommend as a stop over is Bad Durkheim .. We always stay at least a couple of days as the town and surrounding area is so wonderful
Watch out for the worlds largest beer barrel, the 50ft high by 500ft long water cascade the town installed in a park to help purify the air, plus loads of other great stuff.

It is pretty much on your route too being just 6 miles west of the A61 as it passes Mannheim.. Oh and yes, it is an ACSI site too !

If you look on a map the camp site is right beside a wee little airfield.
There is also a Stelplatz just out side the camp that you can use.. It has hook up for a couple of euros a night, water and of course elsan point

Depending on the sort of vehicle you have and depending on how adventurous you are, the most exciting pass to cross the Alps on is the Timmolsjoch.. Only open during high summer as it is under snow the rest of the year ! ( it peaks at 2509 metres )
When you get close to the top you can stop the van and on one side, walk on the remains of a prehistoric glacier, and on the other side look DOWN on the clouds :thumb:

If you want an easy passage go for the Reschen Pass.. Lovely drive through picturesque landscapes.

And if you are rich and in a hurry use the Brenner.. that will drop you straight down on to the A22 which you can stay on right to Rovereto ( our annual stop off point and another excellent Aires at the old football stadium ) then dive off on to the SS240 for about 12 miles till you get to Riva Del Garda ( that is the northern end of Lake garda )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cappucini have just said.......
"Turn up, you'll be fine"

It's a deal then :thumb:

Don't be afraid of the posh restaurant outside the gate - it's nowhere near as expensive as it looks and what a view !

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Pitch1.jpg
    Pitch1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Capp1.jpg
    Capp1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Capp2.jpg
    Capp2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Garda1.jpg
    Garda1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Lemoni1.jpg
    Lemoni1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 18

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Butterfly have now also responded again saying that if we turn up we'll be ok.

So that's how it'll be. Looking at it, there's so many sites in the area, that even in the height of summer, the chances of one having a space is going to be high, so in April, can't see an issue. So it'll be Butterfly first, then Cappucini. Thanks for the Restuarant tip! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back