Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I wish to update my garmin europe, and add poi for aires ect, as i am dim on this, but have checked on line and you can get an uodate sim card, is this the way to go.............Del

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
How old is your Garmin? They make a lot of money out of updates - is it really necessary? Roads don't change that much.

As regards uploading POIs, there is a utility called POI Uploader which you will find on the Link Removed

Follow the instructions for uploading POIs which is not that difficult.

Steve
Link Removed

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
How old is your Garmin? They make a lot of money out of updates - is it really necessary? Roads don't change that much.

As regards uploading POIs, there is a utility called POI Uploader which you will find on the Link Removed

Follow the instructions for uploading POIs which is not that difficult.

Steve

Hi Steve, Garmin is 4 years old thanks for info ............Del

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
It is a matter for you and your wallet whether you decide to update. Yes there will be a few changes but not that many - those that have changed are usually well signposted.

Frankly, I have never updated (apart from the "free update" which is Garmins way of being to sell older models) so cannot comment on the sim card you refer to (suspect this will be an SD memory card). If others have done I am sure someone will be along shortly.

Thanks for the thanks!

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not that good, the guy that designed them had a stammer :ROFLMAO:

Worse than that.. They were originally supposed to be called Nigels

Seriously Del,
your unit is four years old..
I would suggest you replace it with a new unit and sell your old one.. There will be hardly any difference twixt the cost of doing the above and the cost of doing the update ( plus the grief a non techy person is going to go through all the squit to do it ! )

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi dont know what garmin you have but they do a lifetime update for about £75 i think we have the Nuvi 300 something and we can update it 4 times a year for that. Also if your loading your maps or poi on and you have a sd card init like ours make sure you leave that in when you go away not like this numpty that took the card out and only had the major roads on the unit rest was on card :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi dont know what garmin you have but they do a lifetime update for about £75 i think we have the Nuvi 300 something and we can update it 4 times a year for that. Also if your loading your maps or poi on and you have a sd card init like ours make sure you leave that in when you go away not like this numpty that took the card out and only had the major roads on the unit rest was on card :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If I understand it correctly, you should be aware that 'Lifetime' is defined by Garmin as being the service life of their product - not yours! Once they deem a model to be obsolete, it is in their eyes 'dead'.
So, if your model is say five years old, it has probably already exceeded its lifetime. :Eeek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If I understand it correctly, you should be aware that 'Lifetime' is defined by Garmin as being the service life of their product - not yours! Once they deem a model to be obsolete, it is in their eyes 'dead'.
So, if your model is say five years old, it has probably already exceeded its lifetime. :Eeek:

Yes it does state that and our nuvi is 4 years old but we have had the lifetime update for a couple of years now. I cant see them killing off their most popular models after only 5 years.

They are doing the lifetime update for special price ends tonight of £59.99

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Just be aware that you might have difficulty updating a Garmin with a wireless broadband connection.

I was updating the maps, I got a free update with my Garmin Dezl. i was using my IMAC with a wireless connection with orange. Speed usually 4-6mb.

Started at 14.30 and had in the end to leave overnight as the download had not completed.

08.30 the next morning the thing was still downloading.

Contacted Garmin who said downloading was not suitable for wireless connection and usually only took between 1.5-3hrs.

Worst of all it did not allow me to do me free upgrade again ( well I did not complete it on the first time I tried.)

Just be careful on your choice on new Sat-nav, as some are not compatible with Mac's i.e Snooper

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
They are doing the lifetime update for special price ends tonight of £59.99

I have just taken up the special offer but with some difficulty. Their website shows the special offer but when you go to the "checkout" the full price is shown. I rang Garmin (with the usual 45mins wait) and when I eventually got through I was told to proceed with the order and then given the blokes e-mail address to which I had to send the on-line confirmation no and I will then be re-imbursed for the difference.
So if you're thinking of doing it - do it now while you have still got time to ring them for an e-mail address. Ooops, just realised it's now 5.03pm so they may have already closed.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i bought the lifetime updates think it was £40-50 loged on to my garmin gave my number an 3 hrs. later all done
ps all done wireless
dave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back