Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
before i got into motorhomeing i used to own a canal boat,used to love pottering down the canal at weekends,used it lot's,use to go fishing off it most night's in the summer,but alway's wanted a narrow boat,well yesterday i was talking to a buddy of mine from my canal day's,and he was telling me about a narrow boat that is for sale,so off we goes and look's,and true anough there she is a 50 footer partly finished trad built boat at the right price:thumb:,needs a lot of work to finish,but nothing i cant do,and sat out the water,which makes life a lot easy'r,as i can drive right up to it:thumb:
the only problem iv got is i must sell the motorhome to finance it,something that fran aint happy about,but if i buy the boat and finish it use it for a year or two,i could always sell it and come back to motorhomes later?but the wife aint convinced,she think's il buy it do it up and keep it for ever,and she know's me better than anyone,im going to have to make a dicision,before the end of the week and then if i decide to buy it put a deposit down till the motorhome is sold,just got to convince the wife:Doh:a harder task than you think.:boxing:
i could just buy it,do it up and sell it straight on a make a few 1000's on it,and buy a even better motorhome in about a year,finished it could could sell for 45/48 grand but cost me half of that to buy and compleat.
realy its a no brainer,but the wife is of the mind i would just keep it:RollEyes:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I would buy it and tow the Motorhome behind it on an A frame, sorted..:thumb:
to buy it and finance the work i would have to sell the motorhome,but if i convince the wife that while i was doing the work ,she would see very little of me,she might just go for it:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Buy it, do it up and sell it and get another motorhome AND pocket some cash to fund the round Europe trips. Simples. Mitch. BUT, promise your lady and be true to your word.....

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You got to weigh it all up...... pros and cons.......

and be careful of all those gas attacks on canal boats whilst the boats are moored up, and the occupants are asleep!:RollEyes:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Buy it, do it up and sell it and get another motorhome AND pocket some cash to fund the round Europe trips. Simples. Mitch. BUT, promise your lady and be true to your word.....
the problem is the wife know's just how much i love boat's,iv had seven boats in the past,bought cheap and all of them sold on at a good profit:thumb:
as for driveing around Europe that a big nono:Eeek:i hate driveing anywere:Doh:
put me on a boat and im a cool dude:thumb:sometimes:Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would think about each aspect carefully. Do a project analysis. Calculate every financial possibility and plan for problems. Factor in delays caused by outside forces and once I have weighed up all the angles, I would go ahead and do exactly what my wife wanted me to do.

JJ

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You obviously love boating so I would go for it.

Just tell your wife you have made a decision.

Works every time for me...not:thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
So does Fran prefers a motorhome as against spending leisure time working and living on an unfinished boat, or just prefer motorhomes.

Are you drawn back to boats because you don't have one now or because you made a mistake moving from boats to motorhomes?

Don't get me wrong as something similar happened to us just over a week ago.

About 10 days ago we were in Holland visiting friends and spent a day at a nearby town of Zwolle. It's a smashing place to visit with lots of tradtional but not touristy things to see and do.
For us the best thing is the canal ring right around the old town as we can look at the antique Dutch barges (we lived on one for 5 years).

Then we saw what was the closest thing to a perfect barge for us and it had a 'For Sale' sign on it plus web address. We got very very excited as boats in Holland are cheaper than buying in the UK and France, we started to dream of how we could balance a holiday home in France, newly aquired MH and a barge, it really excited both of us, and to me the key word was both.

Anyway, getting back to a computer that evening saw the price which was for us prohibitive, that saved the day or maybe our sanity.

Guess Fran is more important than either the MH or NB, maybe an agreed solution will be the best?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
So does Fran prefers a motorhome as against spending leisure time working and living on an unfinished boat, or just prefer motorhomes.

Are you drawn back to boats because you don't have one now or because you made a mistake moving from boats to motorhomes?

Don't get me wrong as something similar happened to us just over a week ago.

About 10 days ago we were in Holland visiting friends and spent a day at a nearby town of Zwolle. It's a smashing place to visit with lots of tradtional but not touristy things to see and do.
For us the best thing is the canal ring right around the old town as we can look at the antique Dutch barges (we lived on one for 5 years).

Then we saw what was the closest thing to a perfect barge for us and it had a 'For Sale' sign on it plus web address. We got very very excited as boats in Holland are cheaper than buying in the UK and France, we started to dream of how we could balance a holiday home in France, newly aquired MH and a barge, it really excited both of us, and to me the key word was both.

Anyway, getting back to a computer that evening saw the price which was for us prohibitive, that saved the day or maybe our sanity.

Guess Fran is more important than either the MH or NB, maybe an agreed solution will be the best?
fran was born into a working boat family,spent the first few years of her life living on a 72 foot narrow working boat,her family have connections with the waterways upto this present day,the dixon's,the skinners,and the boswells,but fran would never return to living on a boat,but would be happy holidaying on boats,as she always was:thumb:sailing pub to pub eating out all the time:thumb:
as for fran working on a boat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
as you say!an agreed solution is what is needed:thumb:as long as she agree's with me:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris, if your van is worth anything like the 24k you say you need to buy and fit out the boat,why not do both,settle for a old M/H around the 4k mark and do the boat for 20k instead of 24-you can miss a couple of things out and add them when funds are available or once nearly complete then sell the cheapo M/H-IT WILL GIVE YOU SOMEWHERE TO HAVE A CUPPA ETC WHILE WORKING ON THE BOAT :thumb: AND possibly satisfy both parties with the odd night away ::bigsmile: You don't need to be the poshest M/H on site to still enjoy :winky:
terry

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Chris, if your van is worth anything like the 24k you say you need to buy and fit out the boat,why not do both,settle for a old M/H around the 4k mark and do the boat for 20k instead of 24-you can miss a couple of things out and add them when funds are available or once nearly complete then sell the cheapo M/H-IT WILL GIVE YOU SOMEWHERE TO HAVE A CUPPA ETC WHILE WORKING ON THE BOAT :thumb: AND possibly satisfy both parties with the odd night away ::bigsmile: You don't need to be the poshest M/H on site to still enjoy :winky:
terry
you are right:thumb:
when i said buy a better motorhome,i thought as i was typing is there better or just newer more fancy?
i aint no snob,im happy with the one i got,and have no need to have the poshest M/h on any site,but the boat is calling me to finish it:Sad:
if i buy the boat it will have to be right,when i finish it,and the sale of the motorhome would not cover the cost of buying it,yet alone finishing it,that would be an ongoing project:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
you are right:thumb:
when i said buy a better motorhome,i thought as i was typing is there better or just newer more fancy?
i aint no snob,im happy with the one i got,and have no need to have the poshest M/h on any site,but the boat is calling me to finish it:Sad:
if i buy the boat it will have to be right,when i finish it,and the sale of the motorhome would not cover the cost of buying it,yet alone finishing it,that would be an ongoing project:thumb:
::bigsmile: Just trying to keep the peace :ROFLMAO::winky:
I am in a similar boat :Smile: I want to do another S/build but she is happy with what we have :Sad:and she won't let me spend money on something she says we do not need ::bigsmile:I keep telling her it would be newer but she says nothing wrong with this one :Doh:
Guess who is winning this one :Sad:
terry

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Lads you are going about this all wrong. You need to make the Mrs think it was her idea, sorted. :winky:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
fran was home for dinner,i put it past her again,i wont tell you what she said:Eeek:
ok i will.
"if you want it? go buy it but you aint selling the motorhome":Doh:
"and you can go live on it":Eeek:
so it's looking like i need to turn on the charm:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
fran was home for dinner,i put it past her again,i wont tell you what she said:Eeek:
ok i will.

You need to know/learn when you are beaten :thumb:
terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I cant tell you if its right to buy or not but if you can make as much as you say in a short period why not do it as a business project and borrow some money so you can keep mh.

If you put a deposit on it and wait till mh sells to pay rest off what happens if mh doesnt sell you lose deposit and boat. I like the idea of narrow boats dont know the difference with a canal boat :ROFLMAO: but you cant really go to far in it can you if you go away for a weekend it will be to the same place all the time will it not so mh wins hands down for me.

All the best with your decision and what ever you do the wife will moan any way

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
ok i will.

well heres a solution for you, you may not like it but its a suggestion.

1.keep the motorhome as mrs said to do so.

2.go and buy boat because you want to.

3.sell house because you have to , to finance boat and keep wife happy by keeping motorhome.

and as she said you have to live on the boat you dont need the house

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
well heres a solution for you, you may not like it but its a suggestion.

1.keep the motorhome as mrs said to do so.

2.go and buy boat because you want to.

3.sell house because you have to , to finance boat and keep wife happy by keeping motorhome.

and as she said you have to live on the boat you dont need the house
now you got me thinking?:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't know the answer Chris, but I'm truly envious of your predicament ..

some years ago I wanted to sell up, buy a 'live in' boat and sail the world.. wife said no way am I going sailing ... :Sad:

.. would have settled for a narrow boat .. but that was 'no way' either..

yes.. I know , a romantic notion, a dream that wasn't to be .. nor will it ever.

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
narrowboats

sorry not a lot of help cuz I lived on narrowboat and loved it :thumb::thumb:- similar village world with like minded people:thumb::thumb: - given the choice of which:Doh: - I dont know:Doh: - would love to be able to afford both - but in the real world - not all of us can.
take care and love your choice xx:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
sorry not a lot of help cuz I lived on narrowboat and loved it :thumb::thumb:- similar village world with like minded people:thumb::thumb: - given the choice of which:Doh: - I dont know:Doh: - would love to be able to afford both - but in the real world - not all of us can.
take care and love your choice xx:thumb::thumb:
same as you cant afford both,but i love boats and i like motorhomes.
now if i won the lotto,different story,i would be straight down to weymouth and buy a sunseeker and off to the med:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Don't know the answer Chris, but I'm truly envious of your predicament ..

some years ago I wanted to sell up, buy a 'live in' boat and sail the world.. wife said no way am I going sailing ... :Sad:

.. would have settled for a narrow boat .. but that was 'no way' either..

yes.. I know , a romantic notion, a dream that wasn't to be .. nor will it ever.
Dont give up on your dream's jim!
you never know what's around the corner:thumb:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
same as you cant afford both,but i love boats and i like motorhomes.
now if i won the lotto,different story,i would be straight down to weymouth and buy a sunseeker and off to the med:thumb:

Sunseekers are made in Poole and you will get a better buy here as we have so many of them (just in case you win the lottery you may need to know this, happy to send you the local paper for you to choose from)

IMO you should sell the motorhome you dont like driving... you know it makes sense.... buy the boat do it up if you want to keep it do so. If you want to sell it for a profit do that.

You said you like the motorhome but love boats do what you love:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back