Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Afternoon

I got picked up for the trye walls on all 4 of my tryes on the last mot so would like to replace them.
I currently have Michelin Camping, size 215/75R16C fitted all round but dont fancy paying out £160 each for them.

As a cheaper option would Avon, AV9 Van 215/75R16C be a safe and suitable replacment at £97 each?

Is it a fail if i left them on for next MOT? Not than i plan to just trying to work out a fitting date.

I dont do long haul trips mainly a weekender when work permits me.

cheers:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Cheers Brian
How were they for road noise whilst travelling? you happy with them and would you use again.
cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As a cheaper option would Avon, AV9 Van 215/75R16C be a safe and suitable replacment at £97 each?

I've got these on my van and was quite happy with them until they became suspects as the cause of vibration. After only 2,500 miles, three of the six had developed a serious degree of radial runout, two were approaching it and only one was actually running anywhere near true. I had the whole lot replaced under the Avon warranty and will be keeping a close eye on the current batch.

Avon tyres used to be British-made but are now produced in China to less exacting standards - even tho' some of them are still marked as having been made in UK. :whatthe:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I've got these on my van and was quite happy with them until they became suspects as the cause of vibration. After only 2,500 miles, three of the six had developed a serious degree of radial runout, two were approaching it and only one was actually running anywhere near true. I had the whole lot replaced under the Avon warranty and will be keeping a close eye on the current batch.

Avon tyres used to be British-made but are now produced in China to less exacting standards - even tho' some of them are still marked as having been made in UK. :whatthe:

It would be interesting to have this thread periodically updated with a report back on how the tyres are/have performed.
Jim
:Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I got my new tyres from Brian Evans at Oswestry
as i have an American RV they are a special rates tyre
good ride and no noise :thumb:
buying cheaper can devalue your investment
if the manufacurer has spent millions on R&D and put on a tyre type why would you think you can do better ???
if you have to penny pinch should you not ask your self can i really afford to keep and run my motor home???

you do your self and other road users no good in messing with tyre types

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It would be interesting to have this thread periodically updated with a report back on how the tyres are/have performed.
Jim
:Smile:

I plan on getting them checked for runout once or twice a year when I go back to my homeground of High Wycombe. If anyone's looking for tyres I can highly recommend Adams & Page: http://www.adamsandpage.co.uk/

Ask for Stuart. He is a 'tyre guru' and knows everything there is to know about tyres ........ and then some. :Smile: He spent 7 hours in total - checking the original tyres, checking the wheels without the tyres, then thoroughly checking and balancing the replacement tyres - and didn't charge me a penny. It's not often you find service like that. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You are an attractive lady though, if one of us ugly buggers turned up I am sure we would either get charged or refused service :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Has the vibration problem been resolved yet?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had Avon av9's fitted all round last May 2010...
Been fine done Spain and back - France and back etc... No issues.
Paid £370 all in fitted at National tyres...

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie

These will be the ones made in Bath Road , Melksham, Wiltshire, opposite our old house.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Afternoon

I got picked up for the trye walls on all 4 of my tryes on the last mot so would like to replace them.
I currently have Michelin Camping, size 215/75R16C fitted all round but dont fancy paying out £160 each for them.

Is it a fail if i left them on for next MOT? Not than i plan to just trying to work out a fitting date.

I dont do long haul trips mainly a weekender when work permits me.

cheers:thumb:

Hi Mark
I'm surprised there is any wear at all on your front tyres judging by the weight you carry in your garage:winky::winky:

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
I had Avon av9's fitted all round last May 2010...
Been fine done Spain and back - France and back etc... No issues.
Paid £370 all in fitted at National tyres...

Many thanks Tonka

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Mark
I'm surprised there is any wear at all on your front tyres judging by the weight you carry in your garage:winky::winky:
[/QUOTE

Heaviest items are the spare wheel and awning
Super light bikes which my wife can lift up together, one in each arm. Bought due to their weight.
Plastic, travel cot, bread tray bases, watering can
aluminium table and chairs
12 aaa batteries / 12 aa batteries
We travel with water tank empty, couple of milk cartons filled with water for brews until we reach final point. No hoarding of masses of food in living area apart from noodles, pasta.
Back axle good for 1724kg where the tyre and awning sit next to . Garage area rated for 165kg which I am under. Checked it all out for the trip to the southern France last year. All kit in their is lightweight

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
I got my new tyres from Brian Evans at Oswestry
as i have an American RV they are a special rates tyre
good ride and no noise :thumb:
buying cheaper can devalue your investment
if the manufacurer has spent millions on R&D and put on a tyre type why would you think you can do better ???
if you have to penny pinch should you not ask your self can i really afford to keep and run my motor home???

you do your self and other road users no good in messing with tyre types

If you are fixed to a certain type of tyre as you are as a RV owner then chin up and pay the price which u do. On the other hand if choice is available to me then why am I not entitled to explore the range available?? Why pay over the odds?? Strange

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you are fixed to a certain type of tyre as you are as a RV owner then chin up and pay the price which u do. On the other hand if choice is available to me then why am I not entitled to explore the range available?? Why pay over the odds?? Strange

I agree. it's called being sensible:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back