So a Traveller Knocks on my Door (1 Viewer)

Sulli

Free Member
Jan 8, 2012
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Coach Built Ducato
Exp
Totally unprompted, I answer a knock on the front door and an Irish traveller asks me if I want to sell my motorhome, which is parked on my drive, down our road that is a cul de sac.
So, I say no thanks, twice after she asks again, and off she trots.
So, what happens next???

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If anyone was to knock on the door and ask me the same thing i would be worried. Hope its secure. Though i wouldn't have thought they would ask if it was for sale if they were going to steal it. Remember what they look like write it down , just in case.
Unless they were just checking to see if you were in.
mmmmm curious

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Sulli

Free Member
Jan 8, 2012
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Coach Built Ducato
Exp
I did wonder that, but why bother knocking on the door, why not just nick it?
I also got the numberplate (not that that means much)....

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hopefully nothing will happen, I used to sell trucks and if ever I had "traveler enquiry" I could guarantee one of the trucks would have the diesel nicked, So the last time I had one round I drained all the tanks to zero and it never happened again, I also think they wanted to look at were I kept the keys, (in a locked safe), I was never sure why they would alert me in the first place?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
check you still got all the keys!!!! or theres nothin else gone adrift!! apparently... its a common trick that one distracts you while another makes off with someting valuable.....:Angry:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
if they come again make sure the back door is locked before you answer the front door:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did wonder that, but why bother knocking on the door, why not just nick it?.

To get a closer look, see if the keys are hanging by the door for a letterbox fishing attack.

Have you got the one and only FUN Motorhome Security Handbook ?

PS.....

Find a length of wire, almost anything, trail it conspicuously from the MH to your house, with luck they'll think it's an alarm. And Jim failed to put that one in the Security Handbook.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
finally, make sure everything is tucked away tonight and garage locked...

:Eeek: could try sleeping in the van with the cricket bat!!:Eeek:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bet you wish you never asked :whatthe:
Doubt you will sleep tonight now .
Id get Ralph to sleep in it if it happened to us:ROFLMAO:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Mines parked up in a private car park next to our house and about 6 months ago I went out to the van only to see a long haired bearded traveller type gentleman lurking behind it "I'd love one of these is it for sale" he say's "no" I answer "oh right " he say's and off he went . A very nervous few nights ensued when I watched it like a hawk but nothing ever happened so maybe you have nothing to worry about ....... I suspect a sleepless night ahead :Sad:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Maybe she was interested in buying it...

I had an Irish Traveller do the same and it wasn't at sale then but a year later it was and he bought it... cash... nothing stolen even though the he loads of kids were in our house for some time... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
S

Sulli

Free Member
Jan 8, 2012
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Coach Built Ducato
Exp

I had an Irish Traveller do the same and it wasn't at sale then but a year later it was and he bought it... cash... nothing stolen even though the he loads of kids were in our house for some time... :winky:

I suspect this to be the likeliest scenario to be honest.
The dog would stop most, the wife the rest and on the off chance anyone got past them I would hide behind the kids - push comes to shove I'll get unleash the MMA, but only if pushed.....:Eeek:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

JJ could make your van vanish without you even realising it had gone 'till you tried to use it and you would find it's just a mirage:Eeek:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Shows OUR age Brian, :Blush: that was my immedeate reaction,,,,
bit more difficult to take out the " CHIP" these days.

tommy_transit

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
north east
Funster No
MH
renault trafic
Exp
im a newbie
take the steering wheel off:ROFLMAO:

its too late tonight to buy a steering wheel cover, we call it a "bin lid", but if you have some chain wrap it through the steering wheel then through the seat at the bottom, anything visable is good

tommy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a look for something to pull actually, being used to petrols I would take out a lead, but couldn't locate any likely suspects on the Ducato 2.5tdi.........
2.5 tdi.....easy Sulli.

under the bonnet, left hand side of bulkhead next to brake servo.

a small black box with a moulded waterproof plug with two/three wires underneath.

carefully pull that out and it will go nowhere, ever !!!!!.....until you want it to. :thumb:

what you just disconnected is the 'impact' momentum fuel cutoff switch (cuts fuel supply in an impact accident.)

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
In the 3 years I've had the motorhome, I've had 3 or 4 knocks at the door by Travellers asking if it's for sale, I've said 'no', written down their van number and nothing has happened. Motorhome is alarmed and has steering wheel lock on, not much more I can do.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have noticed more and more travellers seem to be using motorhomes these days, there are a couple of pieces of ground which are used round here, and have noticed on a few occasions that there are 4 or 5 motorhomes in their number.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
They knock at the front door to see if you are in !

make sure its safe.......and secure....or move house !.
Though I think they prefer caravans...just be a bit vigilant for a while.

barry:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You should have said no I use it all the time to go shooting as I love guns I have lots of them and am always shooting I suppose its because I miss all the action from when I was a mercenary abroad:Eeek:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You should have said no I use it all the time to go shooting as I love guns I have lots of them and am always shooting I suppose its because I miss all the action from when I was a mercenary abroad:Eeek:

Bloody hell, she was only selling pegs:RollEyes:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
They might have just wanted to buy it but just in case id either sleep in it or take off the front wheel if you have something to support it. If they are coming back to steel the diesel how much do you have in the tank if only a few L's then take the fuel cap off as it would be more expensive to repair the damage done than stick couple of L's of fuel in it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to infrom the police if your that worried then if they are on patrol and see a motorhome driving around at 3am they will stop it.

Hope all is ok

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Maybe I am being naive here but I am female and know little about security but I thought if a vehicle had a factory fitted immobiliser then it couldnt be moved only broken into?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm male and ought the same thing......... They would have to get the keys to move it, or so I thought! Doesn't stop the cat being nicked or any stuff inside though. Currently considering a visit to Vanbitz........ and risk the cat. We have 4 dogs and the van in the driveway, which might help.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
When we insured our MH the insurers have strict guidelines for parking at home.

1/ Can't park on the road (unless loading prior to next morning departure).
2/ Can't park on an unlocked drive (unless as at no. 1) as that is classed as on street parking.
3/ Can park on a drive if it is enclosed and has locking gates (which must have a bar across) or a security post at the entrance.

We had our 6ft solid fence altered into a gate with bolts and a sliding bar that locks into place. We also laid a new concrete drive into our rear garden through our "new" gates for the MH.

The insurers were happy with that, but I still worry. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back