having a pop up tent to store surplus bits in? (1 Viewer)

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
I'm blown away by how lovely everyone is on here!!

Thank you all SOOOOOOOOO much for your help and comments!!

Now, here's another little question for you!

If I got a pop up tent to leave bits in that I dont want to haul round with me everywhere I go, if I'm on a site, would stuff inside it be safe or would it get nicked???

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi my daughter uses a pop up tent as she has two children and dosnt want buggies ect in the motorhome taking up space and has never had anything taken but i would say use your common sense dont put nothing in to expensive ,if your on a large commercial site be more aware maybe ask a neighbour to keep an eye on it when u go out ect ect.
In the end it will always be a risk and you have to decide how u would feel if u returned and your belongins have gone . Hope this helps.

teresa

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its a sad reflection on todays society that it might get nicked, theres a few sites in particular that bikes n stuff are a real come on for thieves, clumber park CCS and ferry meadows CCS are two that to knowlage have problems like this.

However in 30 odd years of camping/caravaning/motorhomeing I have not personaly suffered loss and Im allways leaving stuff lent up out side at night or piled up in a heap when I leave the pitch. I too will be adding a light wieght day tent to my kit this year at around £100 it wont break the bank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Khyam Screendome. It isn't cheap (£180) but it is very sturdy and goes up in about 3 minutes. It holds our bikes, dog tent, chairs and table and barbecue and when empty will hold a group of people sitting round the table comfortably. We have used it a lot and find it preferable to an awning. There are flaps on all the net windows so that you can leave it completely enclosed.
We've never had a problem with theft but asking neighbours to keep an eye out is a good idea.
Happy planning! :Smile:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry - part 2. Just noticed you are a lady solo motorhomer. I can quite easily put this tent up on my own (but not in high winds.) It has all it's poles inside the fabric. It does take a bit of practice tho. If you wanted a smaller one Khyam do little pop up tents with the poles ready inserted. Kind regards. Mags

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I sometimes use a utility tent to store stuff in and so far haven't had any problems.

Actually, I did have intruders at Winchcombe C&CC last year...but I caught them on camera the next day as they prepared for another raid.

Attachments

• SDIM1756_2.jpg
    SDIM1756_2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 66
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Plenty of people have a drive away awning, it would be as good as anything and have the added bonus of being able to sit in it:thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
If we're staying on a site for more than a couple of days we always put a tent up to use as a kitchen - and leave loads of stuff in it!

Now on-site for the winter in Spain we have 3 tents! A pop up ( Quechua from Decathlon)for general storage, an Outdoor Revolution Move-lite awning where the drum kit lives :)Eeek:) and a Khyam ScreenHouse for the kitchen!

Never had a problem with theft or damage (apart from the wind :Eeek:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If we're staying on a site for more than a couple of days we always put a tent up to use as a kitchen

Dame Penelope is so modest, though not everyone is invited into her "tent".

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 41

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Have to agree with what others have said. I've been camping since a nipper and fortunately, to date, have not suffered any loss from tents or items left outside.

We carry a Khyam day shelter in the van, which can be used either as a living/dining/kitchen, or just for storage. However, there's no reason a small pop-up tent wouldn't provide convenient and handy storage space too. Lightweight, minimum space to store it, quick to erect and pack away (when you got the hang of it) = good idea!

But, as already mentioned, use common sense to determine if the location feels reasonably safe and give some thought to the value of stuff you leave behind whilst you're out.

Asking somebody to keep an eye on your tent is also a good idea, though I can't think of an occasion we've done that ourselves when camping.

Go for it ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was thinking of bringing one to Spain this year to plonk my 13 year old son in.

Not sure about it really although I am sure he would prefer some privacy.

Not sure I could sleep with him outside though.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Dame Penelope is so modest, though not everyone is invited into her "tent".

Quite right Brian! Have I ever invited you into my tent?? :winky:

Tell me this is not what I think it is !!!! A drum kit !!!!!!

Yes a drum kit! It's a Roland V5 professional electronic jobby! He can at least just plug his headphones! :thumb:
We had a band of campers here at New Year! :roflmto::roflmto:

barry:Smile:

Sir Rex likes to communicate with the natives in their own language.

He can't speak mucho Espanol so drums come in handy!:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quite right Brian! Have I ever invited you into my tent?? :winky:

I was allowed to peek once. I came over all weak kneed and had to retire to my bed to recover. Naturally I carefully hid this by declaring I had to urgently phone my stock broker before the markets closed in Hong Kong but no doubt you saw through my subterfuge.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I was thinking of bringing one to Spain this year to plonk my 13 year old son in.

Not sure about it really although I am sure he would prefer some privacy.

Not sure I could sleep with him outside though.

Assuming you'll be on campsites as opposed to wilding, best thing you could do in my opinion. As you say, gives him space and privacy. But also shows you trust him to look after himself. Helps kids develop confidence.

We used to camp in separate small tents when ours were very young, and then when we had a caravan, alone in tent next to the van from about 10 or 11 years old.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Possessions (whether stored in a tent or not) are chains which hold us down...

Free the energy currently stored in your junk...

JJ :Cool:

Chief Portuguese Funster Hippy... groovy...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Assuming you'll be on campsites as opposed to wilding, best thing you could do in my opinion. As you say, gives him space and privacy. But also shows you trust him to look after himself. Helps kids develop confidence.

We used to camp in separate small tents when ours were very young, and then when we had a caravan, alone in tent next to the van from about 10 or 11 years old.

Thanks for that. I think we will go for it.

It will be on a site so reasonably safe I think.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we have one of the small pop up tents you just unzip it and its up and only 4 pegs required. When we go abroad our daughter (14) sleeps in it as she finds the mh to warm and if we happen to drive off our pitch we do put our chairs and stuff in it and so far nothing has went missing.

Just a word of caution though some sites charge for a pup/pop up tent even though its on same pitch we have never paid it and wont either.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Theft of items on a campsite is not something new - the only times we have lost anything from a site was between 30 and 40 years ago once someone nicked our loungers - the other was a gas bottle - both times while we were asleep and on different commercial camp sites at different parts of the country as a general rule I do find the modern camper trustworthy - in real terms little difference between leaving things in a pup tent to leaving it in an awning. I would say out of sight out of temptation. :thumb:

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Theft of items on a campsite is not something new - the only times we have lost anything from a site was between 30 and 40 years ago once someone nicked our loungers - the other was a gas bottle - both times while we were asleep and on different commercial camp sites at different parts of the country as a general rule I do find the modern camper trustworthy - in real terms little difference between leaving things in a pup tent to leaving it in an awning. I would say out of sight out of temptation. :thumb:

Thanks for that! I did question the sensibility of trusting the general public. How sad!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back