Dealers in Nottingham, any dealings? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Have visited a few today and would be interested in any information about them good and/or bad.

Lowdhams

Oak Tree Motorhomes

Thanks

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Come down South and visit us :thumb:

Peter

Might just do that Peter, but not before I have asked the Funsters my next question which will be something like.... "With no P/X or finance required, how much should I expect (hope) to get OFF the window price of a £45k pre-owned MH" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Might just do that Peter, but not before I have asked the Funsters my next question which will be something like.... "With no P/X or finance required, how much should I expect (hope) to get OFF the window price of a £45k pre-owned MH" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Strangely enough a cash deal is LESS attractive, a finance deal is cash at the end of the day as the finance house pays the dealer and generally gives him a commission on top!

Screwing a dealer (depending on who they are) generally means less after sales service being available.

In this world one gets what one pays for in the end.

Peter

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
If you have been to Lowdhams i would definitely recommend you go another half mile down the road and look at David Fullers. We have bought both our motorhomes from them, and they are excellent

David

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
So pay the asking price and you will be treated better should you have any problems with your purchase.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you have been to Lowdhams i would definitely recommend you go another half mile down the road and look at David Fullers. We have bought both our motorhomes from them, and they are excellent

David

Yes we did, unfortunately they don`t have what we are after, at least at the moment.

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
So pay the asking price and you will be treated better should you have any problems with your purchase.

A properly prepared van should not neccessarily get any problems but one that has just had a good clean and polish and the tyres kicked when there is little margin in the deal can.

My advice is always to buy from a reputable franchised dealer with a full workshop with trained technicians.

Peter

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
I would say Oaktree rather than Lowdhams although I haven't bought from either but live locally to where Oaktree have now moved too and do know one of their service engineers who we have used for years and is very good.
Ultimately go with whoever gives you the best deal and you feel most comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Mrs Travelbug1

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I bought from Lowdhams. Sales side excellent (ask for Steve Straw). Being totally new to motorhomes, they were very patient with all my questions and went through two handovers with me so that I was confident how everything worked before I set off. Their used vans have a 3 year warranty which is not tied to taking the van back to Lowdhams - you can use any authorised garage. :Smile:

However, the service side is nowhere near the quality of the sales side. I won't go into the issues I've had with them here, but I am not at all impressed. :Angry:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
fullers

We bought our motorhome from Fullers and have to say they are honest and genuine people to do business with and would fully recommended them. :thumb:

As for you asking us lot on here questions ask away but in the end I would say go around as many dealers as you can and if you find a motorhome that catches your eye, spend as much time in as you want, sit down and look how it works, how you will move around it, try standing at the kitchen, going to bed etc etc.
You will know the one that is for you it will just feel comfortable and right.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought from Lowdhams. Sales side excellent (ask for Steve Straw). Being totally new to motorhomes, they were very patient with all my questions and went through two handovers with me so that I was confident how everything worked before I set off. Their used vans have a 3 year warranty which is not tied to taking the van back to Lowdhams - you can use any authorised garage. :Smile:

However, the service side is nowhere near the quality of the sales side. I won't go into the issues I've had with them here, but I am not at all impressed. :Angry:
Just the same delt with Steve and excellent service,however I was not impressed with after sales, They wanted me to wait 3 weeks to get wiring problem fixed resulting in no TV whilst working away. I bought the van new & they fitted the accessories, Their excuse was,' Oh' we are to busy, we had a busy Peterboro' show.So I paid to have the work done and vowed not to use them again:swear:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

If buying yesterday (having visited 5 dealers) Lowdhams had the van we wanted, as it is, we have decided to wait till after the Manchester show, so I dare say that van will have gone, but another will come along.

Those who purchased pre-owned from Lowdhams (or anywhere else for that matter). Were they prepared to negotiate on the window price?

Was quite impressed with the 3 year warranty, but would be less so if any warranty repairs take weeks. What is classed as a `authorised garage`?

Thanks

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Don't get too excited about insurance based warranties, far too many get outs and only worth anything if your dealer is prepared to fight/organise your claims.
Basically wear and tear is not covered, it has to be broken!

Authourised garage is one that has agreed to carry out repairs, not many will as the labour rate is lower than standard and the repair has to be agreed first before rectification.

Peter

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Have visited a few today and would be interested in any information about them good and/or bad.

Lowdhams

Oak Tree Motorhomes

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, know both of these well. I believe that Oak Tree have moved now from the A38 to off Junction 26 off M1, A610 Ikea direction.

We bought our first motorhome from Oak Tree and got very good customer service from them. They were very helpfull.

Oak Tree have sent two of their guys through to us for the ACOP training. Lowdhams have sent their fitters for ACOP and ACS gas certification as they hire out so they need to be Gas Safe Registered.

There is another dealer called Kingsmill Leisure Vehicles. They were on the A38 Sutton Road, but from 3rd January will be at: Unit 13, Coxmoor Road,Sutton in Ashfield,Nottinghamshire, NG17
5LA . Kingsmill have basically sold more caravans than motorhomes but they have outgrown their site on Sutton Road. May be they will be dealing with more motorhomes if they have gone to larger premises. Again 2 of their fitters came to us for their ACOP training.

There's quite a few dealers in the East Midlands, some in Derby, some in Lincoln. Know one dealer in particular called Camper UK. They're nice people, ACOP and ACS gas certificated too.

Hope this helps
Pammy

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Steve

Yes, know both of these well. I believe that Oak Tree have moved now from the A38 to off Junction 26 off M1, A610 Ikea direction.

We bought our first motorhome from Oak Tree and got very good customer service from them. They were very helpfull.

Oak Tree have sent two of their guys through to us for the ACOP training. Lowdhams have sent their fitters for ACOP and ACS gas certification as they hire out so they need to be Gas Safe Registered.

There is another dealer called Kingsmill Leisure Vehicles. They were on the A38 Sutton Road, but from 3rd January will be at: Unit 13, Coxmoor Road,Sutton in Ashfield,Nottinghamshire, NG17
5LA . Kingsmill have basically sold more caravans than motorhomes but they have outgrown their site on Sutton Road. May be they will be dealing with more motorhomes if they have gone to larger premises. Again 2 of their fitters came to us for their ACOP training.

There's quite a few dealers in the East Midlands, some in Derby, some in Lincoln. Know one dealer in particular called Camper UK. They're nice people, ACOP and ACS gas certificated too.

Hope this helps
Pammy

Thanks Pammy, Oaktree have moved, visited their new site yesterday although it was dark when we arrived and they had no means of putting lighting in any of the vans, next time we will take a torch.

Came across Kingsmill online but ruled them out as there is no mention of MH`s on their website, unless i`ve missed it.

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
So although a generalisation, it seems that if they offer a 2-3 year warranty it`s not worth the paper it`s written on and if you need any warranty work doing you are right at the back the queue, presumably because no matter what the sales staff have said, from the workshops point of view you are just a non-paying nuisance.

mmmmm

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
So although a generalisation, it seems that if they offer a 2-3 year warranty it`s not worth the paper it`s written on and if you need any warranty work doing you are right at the back the queue, presumably because no matter what the sales staff have said, from the workshops point of view you are just a non-paying nuisance.

mmmmm

Can't say about others, but the above certainly does not apply at my dealership.

Incidentally try Camper UK, tell Dean I sent you.:thumb:
Peter

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Those who purchased pre-owned from Lowdhams (or anywhere else for that matter). Were they prepared to negotiate on the window price?

Yes, I negotiated a few grand off the asking price. :Smile:

Was quite impressed with the 3 year warranty, but would be less so if any warranty repairs take weeks. What is classed as a `authorised garage`?

The warranty has been working for me - have had a few things done under it already. You just get the garage you've chosen to ring through to the warranty company for authorisation before they start any work. So far authorisation has been granted within an hour of the garage phoning through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back