Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
For anyone dreading having a wisdom tooth out don't worry ,it's painless . i think grommet was worried a little while back about his coning out.I have had pain since before xmas and worried myself sick all over the holiday period but needn't have worried myselis all is ok now and healing nicely .

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Glad it all went well for you - I looked like a hamster with cheeks stuffed for days after I had mine out! My wife brings the photo out from time to time just for a laugh!:RollEyes:

Steve

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had to have all four of mine taken out in hospital under general anaesthetic, I think the surgeon used a baseball bat judging by the bruising I had. Thankfully that was a long time ago and the bruising is now a long distant memory.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I had to have all four of mine taken out in hospital under general anaesthetic, I think the surgeon used a baseball bat judging by the bruising I had. Thankfully that was a long time ago and the bruising is now a long distant memory.

D.

I had a few teeth out in the 70's with the old gas mask over my face and also some out with injection unaesthetic , I was terrified due to some incompetent dentists back then but they have become better at their job I suspect or the anesthesia is better these days, thanks god, pity those poor sods before anesthesia was invented?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had 3 taken out but the 4th has some major nerve running under it and the dentist won't touch it. I am doing an ostrich on that one and hoping it never plays up.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had a few teeth out in the 70's with the old gas mask over my face and also some out with injection unaesthetic , I was terrified due to some incompetent dentists back then but they have become better at their job I suspect or the anesthesia is better these days, thanks god, pity those poor sods before anesthesia was invented?

I had to have mine out due to them being severely impacted so requiring surgery under GA to remove all four in one job. I believe the surgeon did an excellent job but as they have to dislocate the lower jaw and almost turn your head inside out to do it there is bound to be some heavy duty bruising.

D.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I had a similar experience with dentists in the 1950s/60s which left me with a real phobia. Between 1968 and last year I only went to a dentist twice, for extractions of two teeth which broke after being badly filled in earlier years.

Last year I had to go when another previously filled tooth finally started causing real pain and I had to have it extracted. The dentist I went to is totally different from those I experience in my youth and I had no problems at all. Went for a check up last Tuesday and he tells me I don't need to be checked more than annually. If I hadn't had the phobia, though, I would have gone 10 years ago and had a simple, lasting, filling rather than an extraction.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For anyone dreading having a wisdom tooth out don't worry ,it's painless . i think grommet was worried a little while back about his coning out.I have had pain since before xmas and worried myself sick all over the holiday period but needn't have worried myselis all is ok now and healing nicely .

OOOOOOH YOU are tough ::bigsmile:Any teeth I have had removed have hurt ::bigsmile:
terry

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Anyone else had a dry socket following a nice easy extraction?

Now there's a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone else ...... excruciating. :shout: :cry:

Jenny

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
my grandad used to pull his own using pliers :Eeek: (not his wisdom teeth :Doh:)

I don't know if you have ever had an abscess but I had a really bad one 5 years or so ago and I would gladly have done so - but I would probably have chickened out. Had it lanced in the end which was painful but boy the relief was instant:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In the end my pain was caused by a sinus infection. 2 of my teeth roots are in the sinus cavity so I was suffering what seemed like tooth ache. Fortunately the roots were not infected or damaged. I am now more or less pain free but my wisdom tooth does come out on the 19th to resolve an unrelated issue.

The dentist said my wisdom teeth are small and shallow so he can whip it out really easily. I am only having one done this time to see how it feels. If it is not too bad I will go back to have the others removed.:RollEyes:

Thanks for the good news on yours though.:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I had an abcess which kept getting infected. It came to a head when the dentist gave me 5 injections in my gum and I could still feel the pain, so she x-rayed it. It turned out I had a third tooth above the second one. So off to hospital for an operation where they cut my gums in front of and behind my teeth to get at it. No problems since, thank goodness.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

You were lucky....

I had to have my 3rd wisdom tooth extraction last year.:Sad:

It was impacted and the nerve was running adjacent. The dentist would not touch it.

It was taken out at the local hospital. A bit painful, tooth came out in three pieces after a lot of leverage, but home within the hour.

That night though I ended up in casualty after sneezing at 1am.
A blood vessel which must have been damaged whilst extracting the tooth had burst, it would just not stop bleeding. The local A&E could not stop the bleeding, so I ended up in the nearest hospital with an orthodontics department. Admitted for two days......

The tingling sensation from the adjacent nerve thankfully disappeared after 4 months, the dentists said it might never go away.:Eeek:

My 4th wisdom tooth has now been aching for two days......
I'm praying it just stops and goes away......:cry:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm glad I didn't mention this before ,would have scared me sensless with all your stories . Poor poor you lot that have had bad luck at the dentist but thanks for sharing your experiences . .....I think:)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just come out of the Dentists. It took literally 10 minutes from me going in to coming out. Most of that time was spent waiting for the anasthetic to take effect. The tooth came out without any pain whatsoever just a strange noise/sensation. I was really impressed with him....

All over now and I should be pain free ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the reassuring posts.... Now just 24 hours before I can smoke again :shout:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Just come out of the Dentists. It took literally 10 minutes from me going in to coming out. Most of that time was spent waiting for the anasthetic to take effect. The tooth came out without any pain whatsoever just a strange noise/sensation. I was really impressed with him....

Thanks for all the reassuring posts.... Now just 24 hours before I can smoke again :shout:

If you make 24 hours then you did waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than me:Blush:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Saw the thread and readit!!!!! You all need cheering up so here I go, because thread reminded me of the guy who asked the doctor how much a brain transplant would cost.
If you had a man's brain it would cost £10000
If you had a woman's brain it would cost you £50,000

Why such a difference said the patient, "Well the woman's brain hasn't been used as much.

But it is still too much can you do anything a little cheaper?
Yes replied the surgeon.........
I can give you a wisdom tooth

Norman (Apologies to all the lovely ladies)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Thanks for all the reassuring posts.... [HI]Now just 24 hours before I can smoke again[/HI] :shout:

An ideal time to pack it in then :Smile: Nip down the chemists for some patches :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I should never have had my wisdom teeth taken out,then I would never have bought the
Fiat X250 based motorhome!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very variable things wisdom teeth. I had one out without any anaesthetic but I know some people have no end of trouble. I actually still have 3 of my wisdom teeth which indicates why I am so wise (or possibly just have a big mouth).:Smile:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Well done, a few of these posts frightened me to be honest and I am glad I didn't mention it before hand but I bet you are glad its all over and done with now?
I didn't have to wait the 24 hrs not to smoke as I don't anyway but had to be careful what I ate, why do we have to eat??? life would be sooo much simpler!!! And I wouldnt be overweight:RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Karl - PLEASE don't smoke before the allotted time! - they reckoned was why I got a 'dry socket' - and if you thought ordinary toothache was painful ........ :cry:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Grommet, nice to see you back again, you were missed.........Griff

Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Karl - PLEASE don't smoke before the allotted time! - they reckoned was why I got a 'dry socket' - and if you thought ordinary toothache was painful ........ :cry:

Ooops :Doh:

Already failed. Managed 3 hours...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Don't come crying to me in the morning.

Seriously, I hope you don't get it, mate!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

and has the aneasthetic worn off yet :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It has now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not much in the way of pain. Slight niggle but that's all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back