Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Has anybody fitted or had fitted one of these. Peter is wanting to fit this to our A class Dethleffs, 28ft. Fiat 2.8, It is 6 years old and we have had it from new. We used to have a scooter, but now tow a smart on A Frame due to Pete's poor mobility. The camper struggles a bit a lot of gear changes and he feels this would help, but they are quite expensive and don't want waste our money. We had a turbo fitted on a hymer and all it did was over heat. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks Peter.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I asked a similar question a few days ago

From the reponses by way of open threads and PMs I will be going down the wow re mapping route soon. They are advertised on the side banners on this site (RH side).
Jim

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there was something on here about if the vehicle has been remapped it would fail an mot in the not so distant future.

cant remember where though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not sure about the accuracy of this statement!!

I was told that base vehicles are formatted as " vans" ( light and nimble, and occassional Loadings) and not as a permenant 3Tonne plus motorhome.:Doh: therefore most could benefit from remapping for economy and performance.:Blush:

however i take the point on MOT emissions:thumb:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anybody fitted or had fitted one of these. Peter is wanting to fit this to our A class Dethleffs, 28ft. Fiat 2.8, It is 6 years old and we have had it from new. We used to have a scooter, but now tow a smart on A Frame due to Pete's poor mobility. The camper struggles a bit a lot of gear changes and he feels this would help, but they are quite expensive and don't want waste our money. We had a turbo fitted on a hymer and all it did was over heat. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks Peter.
Are you talking about one of the 'bolt on' Type?
Energytune for instance,we have one of these fitted to aid our towing, but they only work with turbo engines.:Smile:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
remapping

Hello, I had my Fiat 2.8 jtd 2006 autotrail done by wow tuning @the lincoln show last summer and can say that the performance has increased :thumb:less gearchanging and there is more power especially when pulling my toad ,I told my insurance co. and they were quite happy when I told them who had done the tuning no charge increases :RollEyes:so overall I am very happy with wow tune up ::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
re-mapping

We had our 3ltr Fiat done and the difference is brilliant, at 60mph in calm conditions we averaged 27mph on a 120 mile journey on the motorway.
It is certainly a tad more nimble so highly recommended from us. :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Bear in mind that extracting more power and (more importantly) more torque from your engine will impose extra loads on the clutch and drive train (gearbox, driveshafts etc), therefore you MAY find that your clutch or other drive train components fail prematurely.

D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
ll
Bear in mind that extracting more power and (more importantly) more torque from your engine will impose extra loads on the clutch and drive train (gearbox, driveshafts etc), therefore you MAY find that your clutch or other drive train components fail prematurely.

D.
so true dave:thumb:
remember wibbla had his rollerteam remaped and he had clutch problems:Doh:
for me and you not a problem! as we can repair clutches but someone looking to get it done could be looking at a huge bill if it takes out the duel mass flywheel as well:Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
ll
so true dave:thumb:
remember wibbla had his rollerteam remaped and he had clutch problems:Doh:
for me and you not a problem! as we can repair clutches but someone looking to get it done could be looking at a huge bill if it takes out the duel mass flywheel as well:Doh:

Its not easy replacing the clutch on the loading ramp of a ferry though Chris:cry:

D.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been thinking of getting mine remapped by WOW but this talk of failed engines and clutches has put me off slightly.

However I can't find any evidence of this happening and even looked back at the W18BLa thread (which someone quoted I think) and he was actually very happy with his remap and there was no talk of the remap causing his problems.
What I have found are dozens of people who've had the remap and are very happy with the results on here and many other sites.

Is remapping going to become the next Urban Myth along with Gassing and A frames? These myths are a bit like "The Emperors New Cloths" if you keep saying it long and loud enough you can make people believe anything.

Gonna carry on and get mine done on Friday the 13th:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: that should test the myth.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does re-mapping affect engine service interval .. ie .. require more frequent oil changes?

I would have thought it would.. but never heard it mentioned..

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Been thinking of getting mine remapped by WOW but this talk of failed engines and clutches has put me off slightly.

However I can't find any evidence of this happening and even looked back at the W18BLa thread (which someone quoted I think) and he was actually very happy with his remap and there was no talk of the remap causing his problems.
What I have found are dozens of people who've had the remap and are very happy with the results on here and many other sites.

Is remapping going to become the next Urban Myth along with Gassing and A frames? These myths are a bit like "The Emperors New Cloths" if you keep saying it long and loud enough you can make people believe anything.

Gonna carry on and get mine done on Friday the 13th:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: that should test the myth.::bigsmile:
if i was selling remaps,i dont think i would mention the problem's it can cause,be cutting my own throat,and i do remaps(got one to do this week):thumb:but im honest about what they can do.
and it's not an urban myth,they can and do cause problems to drive train's on motor's,all depending on how you drive it.(holding it in fifth/sixth to long going uphill)
a member on here had problems with his clutch after a remap and sold the motorhome,but never disclosed his problem to other members,and it was WOW that done the remap,if you are happy to carry on with the remap,carry on:thumb:
if i bought a common rail diesel would i remap it??
yes i would(already have),but i would be aware that its there,and could cause me problem's:thumb:
and as far as people saying that the van's are built to be abused by builder's
that might be so,but in the form that they left the factory,not hotted up a bit?its the extra torque that causes the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back