Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi
When running off a genny do you connect into van 240v through ehu lead or 12v straight to battery bank?
Reason i ask is that i have read that some people have blown there on board charger so now go through a stand alone battery charger to by-pass van control unit.
Tony

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi
When running off a genny [HI]do you connect into van 240v through ehu lead[/HI] or 12v straight to battery bank?
Reason i ask is that i have read that some people have blown there on board charger so now go through a stand alone battery charger to by-pass van control unit.
Tony

Yes, exactly that.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
maybe they were using the wrong type of genny, or too small a genny to cope with what they were trying to run in the van. We have never had a problem with ours so far and just connect to it as if it was a ehu point.

Just had a thought they might of connected it all up before starting the genny which could cause problems (mega spikes power wise) - you are supposed to start genny and let it get on a even keel before connecting your ehu lead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I plug direct into the EHU inlet point. But I have a Honda EU10i which produces a very clean output. I would only do it with a decent pure sine wave generator, not with a cheap and cheerful one.
Schaudt Electroblocs (EBLs) are sensitive to voltage spikes; they are used in several German vans. I also have a surge protector at the point where the 230V cable enters the EBL for added security.

If you can / are happy to connect via the 230V inlet, the charge rate will be much higher than if you connect 12V direct to the batteries. E.g. the 12V output from my Honda is rated at 8 amps; the maximum output from the EBL is 18 amps.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I also have a surge protector at the point where the 230V cable enters the EBL for added security.

So did I, it died anyway. Result of a thunder storm on hook-up here.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
So did I, it died anyway. Result of a thunder storm on hook-up here.

Good point Brian - if caught in a thunderstorm, it's worth disconnecting the hook-up cable (assuming you are with the van when the action kicks off).

I admit to having a fairly cheap in-line surge protector. I don't know how much better the dedicated Schaudt OVP 01 protector is - hopefully pretty good considering the price.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
save the money and buy a bigger battery bank and some solar panels and if this weather keeps up like it has for the last few weeks a wind turbine then you wont need hook up.
or a genny

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
save the money and buy a bigger battery bank and some solar panels and if this weather keeps up like it has for the last few weeks a wind turbine then you wont need hook up.
or a genny

I rarely use mains hookup. Got two batteries, got a 135W panel, got a genny for when the sun don't shine; NOT got a turbine, but I often get wind!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks for replys to date
van is new to us so making improvments for a skiing hol
I have fitted 2x110 amp leisure batts with space for another if required,not sure if van alternator will take another at this stage although i could fit a split charge relay between 2nd and 3rd battery
Also in the process of fitting leds
Could be away for 2 weeks or more without ehu so genny is a must
Have not yet fitted solal panels as im still looking into their performance especially as it could be cloudy for the time we are away (hopefully not)
The genny is a 1998 honda ex1000 and van transformer is Schaudt 99
In previous van i have hooked up genny to ehu lead with no problems but have heard that with later vans there could be problems like spiking the ecb
Maybe me just over concerned but when temp below freezing i need power

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I rarely use mains hookup. Got two batteries, got a 135W panel, got a genny for when the sun don't shine; NOT got a turbine, but I often get wind!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::

TMI??::bigsmile:

Or perhaps a neighbourly warning.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wont be any problems if you use an inverter generator.....Honda etc.

exactly the same electrical characteristics as a 230v mains supply

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks for replys to date
van is new to us so making improvments for a skiing hol
I have fitted 2x110 amp leisure batts with space for another if required,not sure if van alternator will take another at this stage although i could fit a split charge relay between 2nd and 3rd battery
Also in the process of fitting leds
Could be away for 2 weeks or more without ehu so genny is a must
Have not yet fitted solal panels as im still looking into their performance especially as it could be cloudy for the time we are away (hopefully not)
In previous van i have hooked up genny to ehu lead with no problems but have heard that with later vans there could be problems like spiking the ecb

will respond by PM later,,

But Genny will be fine, honda's nice and clean, I always start then plug in for extra security, as for a bigger battery bank and a couple of solar panels? No chance for a skiing holiday, its genny all the way.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Hi

this is the older style genny that has an AC alternator producing the 230v AC and runs at a constant speed irrespective of load.. IIRC it has frequency meter and a screw to adjust the engine speed to give 50hz ?

A secondary winding provides 12VAC which is then rectified to provide 12VDC

In some respects I think it is better than the newer ones with inverter technology , in as much as it is simpler and more reliable (less things to go wrong) and it gives a very clean sine wave.. but on the downside, irrespective of load it runs at a constant speed.. so uses more fuel.

Provided you let it settle down before connecting the EHU there should be no problem.. however, if you plug in a heavy load it will tend to slow down momentarily then maybe hunt as it tries to re-establish a constant speed.. this could cause a voltage spike which could damage sensitive electronics ..

To be frank, it is better suited for power tools and inductive loads rather than powering electronics.. but used with care it should be fine.. If you ever sell it keep me in mind... :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back